Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
What would happen if you rebooted the Apple TV instead of the AirPort?

Rebooting the Apple TV has no effect. I have 21 devices connected to my Airport and the Apple TV's are the only ones with issues and only since the latest update.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Rebooting the Apple TV has no effect. I have 21 devices connected to my Airport and the Apple TV's are the only ones with issues and only since the latest update.

I have 136 devices connected to this network (across all the APs) and the Apple TVs are not missing a beat. Perhaps try a factory reset on the Apple TV?

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I have 136 devices connected to this network (across all the APs) and the Apple TVs are not missing a beat. Perhaps try a factory reset on the Apple TV?

I just set them to never sleep. They only use like 1W anyway. When Apple pushes the next update I'll give the sleep setting a try once more.

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
*SOLUTION* (update 2)

(I wonder, I have AirPort Extreme AC, too.)

well here are the steps I took. you may laugh at this as this sounds like the good old days when you had to hit your TV several times for it to start working.

----

1. Did a factory Restore, just to make sure...

2. connected the Apple TV via WiFi, (the airplay still misbehaved over Ethernet at this time so i left it on WiFi sleep & airplay worked great while on WiFi, also i did log into all the services like store, home share etc.)

3. leave the apple TV on WiFi and let it go to sleep (I left mine over night)

4. without waking the apple TV plug in your Ethernet cable. I left this one in and constantly checked if the airplay service came up while the tv slept... so i left it sleeping over night once again.

5. Now I have a fully functional Apple TV

6. did a restart, did a unplug and everything works so far...:cool:

----

This does not make any sense, all I can say is that the update was not smooth for me and this is what fixed it for me, let me know if this works for any of you guys.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
I'm having issues as well since the latest update. I have the 3rd generation (MD199LL/A) although it might be the early 2012 one. Forgot to check that. I am connected directly to the router via Ethernet. I'll try to set it up wireless to see if that makes a difference.

My main issue is that it keeps dropping/restarting in the middle of a stream. Seems to happen MOSTLY during a channel/app stream like DisneyJr, Netflix etc. Not sure if those work the same as the iOS apps where the provider needs to update their apps. Haven't noticed it during Home Sharing streaming. Either way, it's somewhat annoying.

I'll give WiFi a shot.

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
This update has made my ATV3 pretty unstable.

I have to restart Homeshare every day.
I have to restart the ATV at least once a day.
I have to keep switching between Dolby Digital On and Auto for different film and TV media including things I've bought on ITunes.

Never had any issues before. I do expect things to get sorted eventually but it would be nice if the ATV got updates & fixes as fast as Ipad's and Iphones.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Imagine you have 35 of these Apple TVs connected to projectors around a school all hidden in ceilings and everything has been fine, then Apple push out this update and you come in during the morning to teachers going nuts at you because they cannot get their Macs or iPads to see their classroom Apple TV and you have to keep going round with step ladders..... yes that was my day today. Having to set Sleep to NEVER. We moved away from Microsoft to escape these kind of annoyances!

Submit Apple Feedback

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Tell them about the problem.

Settings > Software Update > Update Automatically (set it to ‘OFF’)

(I share your frustration, though.)

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I am experiencing the same behavior after updating my ATV3 to iOS 7.0. It is connected via Ethernet to an AirPort Extreme 802.11ac. AirPlay and the Remote app fail to wake the Apple TV. I have to disconnect and reconnect the power in order for it to power on. This has happened twice today already. I rarely had an issue like that prior to iOS 7.0.

jeremysk

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
I have an ATV 3 and am experiencing the same issues here. I have found and downloaded the right firmware, 6.2. I know about holding option to pick a different firmware location. But when I try to install, iTunes gives me an Error 3194. I have also tried editing my hosts file and restarting, which did not solve the problem.

Is anyone else having this issue with downgrading?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have an ATV 3 and am experiencing the same issues here. I have found and downloaded the right firmware, 6.2. I know about holding option to pick a different firmware location. But when I try to install, iTunes gives me an Error 3194. I have also tried editing my hosts file and restarting, which did not solve the problem.

Is anyone else having this issue with downgrading?

You cannot downgrade the firmware.

jeremysk

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
I've seen people saying they successfully downgraded, here and in other forums - for example
I had to downgrade my atv

Knowing Apple I was surprised to hear this was even possible. So maybe I am misunderstanding these other users.

Cherrysoda

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
I've seen people saying they successfully downgraded, here and in other forums - for example

Knowing Apple I was surprised to hear this was even possible. So maybe I am misunderstanding these other users.

It's definitely possible, since I did it! Make sure you have the correct atv3 firmware, there are 2 different versions and the wrong one causes that error in itunes.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
My only issue I found is my Remote App on my iPhone won't find my Apple TV now.

I am having the same issue, was going to create a thread for it when I found your post. I have double-checked home sharing is still on on both the Apple TV and iPhone.

How can Apple not check this stuff before shipping it?

All of my Apple devices are having problems: iPhone, Apple TV, Macs--all software problems. I've given up on calling Apple because it just frustrates me to talk to people who don't understand the issues.

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but whenever I unpause a video it takes several seconds for the audio to resume. Used to be instantaneous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.