Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtfab75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I've had my iPad mini 18 months and had hardly no trouble but since installing iOS 8 then 8.1 it's become awful to use, freezing and crashing at least once a day. Also some links don't work unless I use it in portrait but then I have to turn it back to landscape for other links to work.
I bought it from John Lewis ( in the UK) with a 2 year warranty, should I get in touch with them or hope for a new update from Apple ?

Thanks

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I would not have put iOS 8 on a Mini but that's just me. In fact I haven't installed that malware on any of my iPad's. You could wait for iOS 8.1 and i'm sure you meant to say iOS 8.0.1 as 8.1 is in beta. :)

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I've had my iPad mini 18 months and had hardly no trouble but since installing iOS 8 then 8.1 it's become awful to use, freezing and crashing at least once a day. Also some links don't work unless I use it in portrait but then I have to turn it back to landscape for other links to work.
I bought it from John Lewis ( in the UK) with a 2 year warranty, should I get in touch with them or hope for a new update from Apple ?

Thanks

Sounds like all the problem I got with my iPad Air. Spent a week talking to Apple telephone support trying to fix them but nothing worked. 8 followed
by 8.0.1 then 8.0.2 all had the same issues.
Eventually go a replacement unit with no questions asked under warranty from my local Apple store as the iPad was only 11 months old.
Not sure how you'd do at JL with an 18 month old device when you cannot really demonstrate a hardware problem. Worth a try but this is where paying for AppleCare is worth it. Good luck.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks

I'm assuming you're talking about a first generation iPad mini. Yeah, iOS 7 was sluggish on the first generation iPad mini and the iPad 2. I'd imagine that iOS 8 would make it horrible. I honestly don't know why Apple added iOS 8 support to the iPad 2, iPad mini, or the fifth generation iPod touch. I'd imagine that they felt more obligated to bring it to the iPhone 4S, though it's not like performance there is great either.

Jtfab75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
IPad Air is the same ? I was going to get a Air in a few weeks time. What are Apple playing at ? I might get a samsung now.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
IPad Air is the same ? I was going to get a Air in a few weeks time. What are Apple playing at ? I might get a samsung now.

Some say they have no problems and others say they don't. I have an Air and iOS 8 is not going anywhere near it. No thanks, don't need the headaches.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Some say they have no problems and others say they don't. I have an Air and iOS 8 is not going anywhere near it. No thanks, don't need the headaches.

Very wise decision. My replacement Air on 7.1.1 is working a treat and I will not update it until I am 110% confident that whatever 8. something is released will not screw it up like the last time.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
My 1st gen mini is doing just fine with iOS8, and now 8.0.2 (I skipped 8.0.1). I have no issues with Safari, or pdf reading/annotating apps, or stylus-based drawing/note-taking apps. I also use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video to watch movies, as well as using iMovie to edit video.

That having been said, I did have an issue with this device early on (6 months after purchase?) where it was crashing with some regularity. That happens, and in your case may very well just be coincident to the iOS update.

I got my iPad replaced by Apple under warranty. I brought copies of crash logs with me to the Apple Store, but I don't think they needed them. (You can google where to find such crash logs, if interested.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.