Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
This is what I posted after I tried doing it though AT&T last year -

Well... I can confirm that it can't be done through AT&T. I went to my local AT&T store today and thought everything was going to be good. The person that I talked to said that there was a way to do it. He swapped the numbers between the devices, activated the phone but couldn't activate the iPad. He tried it a few ways with no success. After that failed he suggested that I call AT&T because they can do more than a store can so I did that. Again, it got close and I thought it was going to work but no luck. The rep told me that it could be done if I was swapping the plan to another phone but it can't be swapped to an iPad. So... everything pretty much went back to normal.

But, I was able increase my data plan from 3GB to 5GB for an extra $8.50 per month. I get a 23% discount through the company that I work for. That discount doesn't apply to the 3GB plan but it does apply to the 5GB plan (strange). I wish I would have known that before. I was told that it didn't apply to the iPad's plan I had but nobody told me that it would apply to the next one up. So I bumped up my plan and all should be good.

wanderer2014

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
ATT throttles iPhones not iPads, there is a speciality team that deals with customers that do that and that only applies to iPhone users with unlimited data, not iPad users with unlimited data.

There are millions and millions of customers with the iPhone with the unlimited data plan, there are under a 100,000 customers with the ATT iPad data unlimited plan. It was only offered from April 30th to June 7, that's 38 days, most people just bought the wifi version, not a lot of people bought the 3G version of the iPad, like i said before ATT is not worried about anyone that has the iPad data unlimited plans, there such a small amout that has them now.

Yeah can put the SIM card in any phone for data only. When you put the SIM card in a iPhone you will get 4G HSPA+ but not LTE, you put it in any other phone you will get LTE. You would need to go to unlocknz to download the profile in order to get it to work.

There not gonna do it for you, because it against the policy to do that, so of course there not going to help you, you would need to do that on your own.

But I think I know what your issue is.

When you look at your iPad on the top left corner do you see 4G or do you see LTE on the screen.

Also go to ATT.COM/ipadlanding and login to your account and scroll down and does your plans say.

Unlimited MB 30 Days

Or

Unlimited MB 30 Days - LTE

Let me know so I can see what the issue is.

I think the only way you can get these types of speeds is if you are on 4G not LTE.

My account says Unlimited MB 30 Days - LTE. I even see the LTE icon on the unite pro when I tested the SIM in there. What speeds do you guys get in KBps or MBps on LTE? I am definitely being throttled between 8am-8pm. Right now its midnight here and I am getting 500KBps vs 7KBps in day time

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
My account says Unlimited MB 30 Days - LTE. I even see the LTE icon on the unite pro when I tested the SIM in there. What speeds do you guys get in KBps or MBps on LTE? I am definitely being throttled between 8am-8pm. Right now its midnight here and I am getting 500KBps vs 7KBps in day time

Ok, go to att.com/ipadlanding and tell me do you have a IMEI number of the unite pro in there or of an iPad IMEI number on the account.

dawgfang

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2005
Atlanta
My rMini is jailbroken and tethering enabled as well.. Truly unlimited 4g LTE data is nice. Only downside to the plan is, god forbid your credit card is declined one month, you lose it forever.

That happened to me recently. My bank canceled my card due to theft and I forgot. Talk about panic.
Anyway, I logged in and it let me pick unlimited again. Only a couple of hours elapsed though.

wanderer2014

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Thanks Technologe for your help, unfortunately, my post count isn't big enough to be able to send a PM on this forum. : (

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I've had my grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Plan since I bought the original iPad with it. I've transferred it twice, once to an iPad 3rd generation and now its on an iPad 4th generation. With an 11-year-old and a 5-year-old, I've found the plan to be invaluable. In addition, I love the fact that I just don't have to worry about how much data that I'm consuming.

I wouldn't sell it for $1000 or even $2000. I know that it would cost me more in the long run. AT&T promised those that bought the 1st Generation iPad during those first three months that it would be $30 per month and they said as long as you continued it, it would not be lost. Thus far, they have honored this. No disruption, no throttling.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I've had my grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Plan since I bought the original iPad with it. I've transferred it twice, once to an iPad 3rd generation and now its on an iPad 4th generation. With an 11-year-old and a 5-year-old, I've found the plan to be invaluable. In addition, I love the fact that I just don't have to worry about how much data that I'm consuming.

I wouldn't sell it for $1000 or even $2000. I know that it would cost me more in the long run. AT&T promised those that bought the 1st Generation iPad during those first three months that it would be $30 per month and they said as long as you continued it, it would not be lost. Thus far, they have honored this. No disruption, no throttling.

Yup. I've got a family. My plans invaluable. I don't even worry about usage but this month I'm at about 60 gigs.

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
That's one thing I like about the unlimited plan I don't have to worry about nothing, I pay one flat rate and I can use all the data I want without a problem.

Also I have my cell phone plan through T-Mobile, 70 dollars unlimited talk text and truly Unlimited 4G LTE speeds. I can tether all the I want on my T-Mobile plan also, with the carrier modification from iTweakios.com I can tether past the 5GB limit T-Mobile set in place and I have done over 50GBs of data still 4G LTE Speeds on my phone and tethering, also get better coverage and fast speeds on T-Mobile.

Where T-Mobile does not cover me ATT most definitely would.

So I have the power of two.

Side note.

I recommend everyone to get these unlimited plans now, T-Mobile and Sprint will not be offering these truly unlimited plans for long, get them while there here.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
That's one thing I like about the unlimited plan I don't have to worry about nothing, I pay one flat rate and I can use all the data I want without a problem.

Also I have my cell phone plan through T-Mobile, 70 dollars unlimited talk text and truly Unlimited 4G LTE speeds. I can tether all the I want on my T-Mobile plan also, with the carrier modification from iTweakios.com I can tether past the 5GB limit T-Mobile set in place and I have done over 50GBs of data still 4G LTE Speeds on my phone and tethering, also get better coverage and fast speeds on T-Mobile.

Where T-Mobile does not cover me ATT most definitely would.

So I have the power of two.

Side note.

I recommend everyone to get these unlimited plans now, T-Mobile and Sprint will not be offering these truly unlimited plans for long, get them while there here.

I've got the same setup too. Tmobile unlimited everything and iPad unlimited data plan. Love it.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Might be interested in an unlimited iPad plan for our son who's in college. For being one of the top colleges in the world the WiFi stinks. I know because I work there too.

My concern would be AT&T knocking you off because of thethering.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Might be interested in an unlimited iPad plan for our son who's in college. For being one of the top colleges in the world the WiFi stinks. I know because I work there too.

Well I did like 70 gigs last month. I've done over 100 before

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I wasn't aware that T Mobile currently offers an unlimited data plan. Do you have a link or something? I can't find anything on their web site.

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014

ATT won't bother you when it comes to tethering, I have had a lot of customers report to me that they have used over 40gbs a month , 10gbs I my self have used close to 80gbs a month in tethering.

One of my high usage customers have used well over 348gbs in 15 days with the iPad data unlimited plan, Link Below.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1757075/

Based on a lot of my reports from my customers, they seem to be ok, ATT does not come bother customers on these plans.

I wasn't aware that T Mobile currently offers an unlimited data plan. Do you have a link or something? I can't find anything on their web site.

Once ATT tried to buy out T-Mobile, and the merger failed ATT agreed to pay T-Mobile 3 billion dollars and once T-Mobile got a hold of that money, they went crazy. The new plans are.

Unlimited Everything 1GB of High Speed Data 50.00 a month
Unlimited Everything 3GB of High Speed Data 60.00 a month

Unlimited Everything Truely Unlimited 4G Data 70.00 a month
After time T-Mobile has upped this plan to 80.00 a month

New Price plan is as followed.

Unlimited Everything 5GB of High Speed Data 70.00 a month
Unlimited Everything Truely Unlimited 4G Data 80.00 a month

As you can see the Truely Unlimited Data Plan has went up by 10.00, at some point there either going to raise the price again for the plan until it makes no business since to have it and then there going to end up canceling out unlimited data in general and just putting tiers on these unlimited plans, that's why I tell everyone to get these Unlimited Plans while there here.

Here is the link to the new T-Mobile plans.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I would pay $750.00 for the iPad plan right now. I would only do so because AT&T has a habit of honoring old plans and not changing the terms.

eBay has been averaging around $1250. That's a little much but I completely understand the value.

If I ever come across one at $750ish I'll probably bite. It'd be great for kids in the car too =).

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
ATT won't bother you when it comes to tethering, I have had a lot of customers report to me that they have used over 40gbs a month , 10gbs I my self have used close to 80gbs a month in tethering.

One of my high usage customers have used well over 348gbs in 15 days with the iPad data unlimited plan, Link Below.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1757075/

Based on a lot of my reports from my customers, they seem to be ok, ATT does not come bother customers on these plans.

Once ATT tried to buy out T-Mobile, and the merger failed ATT agreed to pay T-Mobile 3 billion dollars and once T-Mobile got a hold of that money, they went crazy. The new plans are.

Unlimited Everything 1GB of High Speed Data 50.00 a month

Unlimited Everything 3GB of High Speed Data 60.00 a month

Unlimited Everything Truely Unlimited 4G Data 70.00 a month

After time T-Mobile has upped this plan to 80.00 a month

New Price plan is as followed.

Unlimited Everything 5GB of High Speed Data 70.00 a month

Unlimited Everything Truely Unlimited 4G Data 80.00 a month

As you can see the Truely Unlimited Data Plan has went up by 10.00, at some point there either going to raise the price again for the plan until it makes no business since to have it and then there going to end up canceling out unlimited data in general and just putting tiers on these unlimited plans, that's why I tell everyone to get these Unlimited Plans while there here.

Here is the link to the new T-Mobile plans.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

Good info. Can vouch for technologe

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Anyone have weird issues with the ATT Unite Pro? I feel like it doesn't hold the wifi connection well when tethering with devices. Wondering if it's a network thing or a setting thing within the Unite Pro.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
That's the excellent deal about the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad - they do NOT throttle you, even after you surpass 5gb of usage. They do not throttle the AT&T iPad unlimited data plan at all, which makes it such an amazing plan!

They didn't used to throttle iPhone unlimited data either but now they do. It may only be a matter of time before the start throttling the iPad unlimited data too. I wouldn't want to spend $1000 on an unlimited data plan unthrottled that then becomes throttled later.

andrewket

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
I still have the unlimited data plan on our iPad. We can't tether with it, though. Are you guys JB?

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
They didn't used to throttle iPhone unlimited data either but now they do. It may only be a matter of time before the start throttling the iPad unlimited data too. I wouldn't want to spend $1000 on an unlimited data plan unthrottled that then becomes throttled later.

The difference is the iPhone plan was never meant to stay unlimited past 3G. When AT&T started to go to 3G 3.5 (they called it 4G if you remember), that's when they really started enforcing the throttling. It has been that way ever since.

The iPad plan, on the other hand, has ALWAYS been unthrottled.

I think it has to do with how few there are in the wild vs. iPhone plans, as it has to be a 1 to 1000 ratio or greater. Because of that, they probably (probably, you're right in that it COULD change) will leave it alone. It's a much greater possibility they will than you'd think too, as AT&T is pretty awesome about grandfathering crap.

If you ever talk to an AT&T rep with any tenure, ask them about the "Perfect10" plan. It's actually a 10 minute plan for $10/mo that still exists from the 90's. I hear there are like 4 people on it, but they won't kill the darn thing.

If it's not hurting them (and iPad unlimited really isn't because of it's limited numbers), odds are it'll be good indefinitely.

I'd gladly pay $750. That's my top, but if anyone wants to, I have seven crisp $100 bills and one ratty $50 I'll swap for it =).

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014

Based on the history of these plans, and user feedback, also, it has been four years I would think if ATT was going to throttle the plan they would have done it already.

With a controlled number of users with the Unlimited plan and given the time of four years that had lapse, Based off the average data usage for each customer in the first year time frame, they know what to expect and based on that, they see no real effect on there network so they keep the plan around.

ATT is a business they do what makes seance.

Can we make extra money if we take these customers off the unlimited data plan?

Answer: Yes

Can we get sued by the customers that we promised to keep grandfathered plan, and or throttle?

Answer: Yes

Is making a few extra bucks worth, a lawsuit, bad PR, and a possible risk of loosing existing customers in this competitive market due to it?

Answer: no

Are these existing customers unlimited data usage effecting our network in any way possible that will force us to speed money to maintain?

Answer: No

Weigh the option?

Good
Make extra money
Get customers off the unlimited data plan

Bad
Risk loosing existing customers
Bad PR
Risk potential new customer
Loosing money

I mean come on its obvious, what the better option is.

Is making a few extra bucks worth, a lawsuit, loosing existing customers, which will cost ATT more money to get new customers in, and it would be harder to get new customers based of the bad PR of taking customer off the plan and lawsuits from those customers.

No, we will just leave things where it's at, it's not worth it.

Make seance?

I still have the unlimited data plan on our iPad. We can't tether with it, though. Are you guys JB?
Pauli

The difference is the iPhone plan was never meant to stay unlimited past 3G. When AT&T started to go to 3G 3.5 (they called it 4G if you remember), that's when they really started enforcing the throttling. It has been that way ever since.

The iPad plan, on the other hand, has ALWAYS been unthrottled.

I think it has to do with how few there are in the wild vs. iPhone plans, as it has to be a 1 to 1000 ratio or greater. Because of that, they probably (probably, you're right in that it COULD change) will leave it alone. It's a much greater possibility they will than you'd think too, as AT&T is pretty awesome about grandfathering crap.

If you ever talk to an AT&T rep with any tenure, ask them about the "Perfect10" plan. It's actually a 10 minute plan for $10/mo that still exists from the 90's. I hear there are like 4 people on it, but they won't kill the darn thing.

If it's not hurting them (and iPad unlimited really isn't because of it's limited numbers), odds are it'll be good indefinitely.

I'd gladly pay $750. That's my top, but if anyone wants to, I have seven crisp $100 bills and one ratty $50 I'll swap for it =).

LOL

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I want to buy one but I'm worried that AT&T will take it away.

If anyone has one they want to get rid of by the way PM me.

Last edited:

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I want to buy one but I'm worried that AT&T will take it away.

If anyone has one they want to get rid of by the way PM me.

Haha! Sorry, this made me laugh a little! I think you can get them from Craigslist or Ebay. I hope ATT doesn't take them away. Now, what's the safest tethering app to use when jailbroken? Any input here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.