Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnachbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Anybody have much experience with these two apps? While they seem to be "working" for me each has some really annoying glitches. Also appreciate any suggestions on alternatives...

I have an iPhone 6 iOS 8.02 and a 2011 Mac mini OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. My main goal is to be able to access my files from my mac over the internet, be able to stream my music to the phone on the road, great for bluetooth in the car, access my photo collection and the occasional video.

These two apps allow me to do that without having to upload everything to an external "cloud" or put all my media on a portable device. I'm essentially my own cloud. I know the drawback is I have to have my mini on and connected to the internet. I've used both these apps previously with my Droid Bionic (also used Zumocast app until google bought Motorola and killed it) but am new to the iPhone. I've been a apple computer guy since by first G3 iMac...

So here is what is happening...With Polkast (I'm currently using the free trial version) I've lost my connection to the mini a couple of times, tried to refresh but it will say "offline", I know I'm online because Tonido will work and when I got home I could see the Polkast app open on my desktop. A quick restart of polkast on the mini fixed the problem. When it is "working" I also get some drop-offs as music is playing, like a skip or pause. sometimes if just stops, other times plays along with frequent hiccups. sometimes skips to the next song halfway through...not really worth purchasing at that level of performance.

Tonido has no connection problems, finds everything quickly, but annoyingly will rarely advance to the next song when playing music. It always stops with 2 seconds left to go in the song. I can manually advance to the next song no problem, but that kinda defeats the purpose of streaming music. Easiest way for me in the car is the forward button on the steering wheel so at least I don't have to go fumbling with the iPhone while driving...but if anybody else has every tried listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" this way...I think you can see my insanity with this...

Appreciate any thoughts or other alternatives...nothing is perfect but neither of these apps leave me very happy...I know this is a first world problem but thanks for any replies...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.