Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobkeenan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Here is my BSE on the front face of iPhone 6

I have ordered an iLoome screen protector even though I am concerned about the look of the colored border. In the meantime I removed the tech armor which was really too small. There are lots of comments about how hard it is to put the BSE on. I had no problems however I have done wet installs before. I was surprised how well it sticks around the curved edges and corners. I like the look of glass covers better but if the iLoome does not work out then this BSE is pretty good. Note that the last image is the phone installed in the "Hand and Hide" wallet. I have noticed that the credit cards on the opposite side of the wallet come into contact with the BSE and leave little marks that go away if you leave the wallet open long enough. Its the self healing nature of these pliable screen covers. Here are the pics.

p495530408-4.jpg

p69489001-3.jpg

p222814816-3.jpg

p197938172-3.jpg

p522799520-3.jpg

p480481401-4.jpg

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
The trouble is, the water sits just above the flap. So even if the flap is dry, every time you go to fold it the water gets pushed out under the flap making it wet again and preventing it from sticking. This is why it's a good idea to leave it to dry completely for a couple of hours. Even then it's a battle, but i eventually succeeded.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Just got a message from BSE. They have updated their site and are now offering the case optimized back skin that we were requesting.

I made sure to place my order first so I could be first to ship out before I posted here ;)

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
So are all of you using BSE to protect your phones also using cases? I'm going naked on my phone with just BSE skin protection and AppleCare+

bobkeenan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
So are all of you using BSE to protect your phones also using cases? I'm going naked on my phone with just BSE skin protection and AppleCare+

BSE will protect you against scratches but will do nothing for drop protection. So as long as you never drop the iPhone BSE alone will be enough. Actually if the screen does not crack from a fall it will prevent scratches from a fall.

----------

The trouble is, the water sits just above the flap. So even if the flap is dry, every time you go to fold it the water gets pushed out under the flap making it wet again and preventing it from sticking. This is why it's a good idea to leave it to dry completely for a couple of hours. Even then it's a battle, but i eventually succeeded.

I know what you mean about the water under the flap. And if you keep squeegeeing the bubbles to the sides you are pushing the water to the sides. I think I spent about 5-10 min doing the squeegee thing. then took a microfiber cloth along the sides. Came back about 10 min later and pressed the sides again with the microfiber cloth. Then let is sit for 12 hrs to dry.

It worked great. All the edges are bonded to the phone. Not sure if they will stay that way but right now they look great.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I received my BSE screen protector at matte back protector today. I am kind of disappointed but it's all my fault really. I currently have a Power Support anti glare protector on it but is does not cover the full screen so I wanted something else. My problem is that I mistakenly ordered the case optimized one and it doesn't fit much more screen than the Power Support one does. I have emailed them to see if I can simply send them back the front cover that I received (and never used) and them send me the regular front cover. I'd rather not send it, wait for a refund, and then reorder if possible. Waiting on a response.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I have ordered an iLoome screen protector even though I am concerned about the look of the colored border. In the meantime I removed the tech armor which was really too small. There are lots of comments about how hard it is to put the BSE on. I had no problems however I have done wet installs before. I was surprised how well it sticks around the curved edges and corners. I like the look of glass covers better but if the iLoome does not work out then this BSE is pretty good. Note that the last image is the phone installed in the "Hand and Hide" wallet. I have noticed that the credit cards on the opposite side of the wallet come into contact with the BSE and leave little marks that go away if you leave the wallet open long enough. Its the self healing nature of these pliable screen covers. Here are the pics.

what's your technique for getting the side edges to stick down?

did you wet it pretty good?

bobkeenan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
i basically followed the directions. wiped phone with microfiber cloth. Got a spray bottle and filled it with water and a drop or two of dish detergent. Shaked well. Sprayed my finger then the adhesive side of the skin. I used a fine spray (glass lens cleaner bottle filled with my solution). Spray just enough so it is all evenly wet. Placed on phone. Moved a bit to make sure position was good. Then used a credit card to squeegee the water and air bubbbles out. As soon as there was a bit of water on the edge I used the microfiber cloth to pinch down the sides in long movements down the side of the phone. squeegee some more. Wipe again. set aside for 10 min. Pinch slide down the sides of all the edges one more time with the microfiber cloth. then dont touch it for 12 hours. I did it in the evening and when I woke up the next morning all was good!

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I haven't install my front screen yet, does anyone know if it will turn yellow after a period of use? This is the reason why I'm not putting it on my phone yet. I have a white phone and it will show the yellowing after a while. I used to have zagg and ghost armor, and they turn yellow after a while.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I haven't install my front screen yet, does anyone know if it will turn yellow after a period of use? This is the reason why I'm not putting it on my phone yet. I have a white phone and it will show the yellowing after a while. I used to have zagg and ghost armor, and they turn yellow after a while.

Not sure but I'm just using it temporarily until I find a glass protector that I like.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
how has the screen quality of your iphone 6/6+ diminished for those who already have the BSE applied?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
how has the screen quality of your iphone 6/6+ diminished for those who already have the BSE applied?

I don't see a noticeable difference with the phone on. With the phone off you can tell a screen protector is there. What I don't like is the feel. That's the advantage of a glass screen protector.

Kimball

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010

Not alot, but I think that depends on the user as well, here is mine, its been on since december 2013, click to get bigger picture:

Its not perfect, but I dont think any plastic protector is gonna stay 100% since dirt is dirt.

Ive seen some really horrendous plastic films from phones owned by women because of their make-up. So Im really not sure if the film is to blame here :D

scubacat

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I don't see a noticeable difference with the phone on. With the phone off you can tell a screen protector is there. What I don't like is the feel. That's the advantage of a glass screen protector.

How does the feel compare to something like the Power Support crystal film? I've always used Power Support and like the feel of their films, but I ordered BSE this time. Will I notice a difference in the feel with BSE?

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I recieved mine today, just finished my installation. I love it. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but i'll take full screen coverage over the terrible cutouts on most screen protectors for the 6. I've used wet installs before so the feel doesn't bother me that much. One thing i have noticed is that it makes my home button feel SLIGHTLY recessed. It's not that it's super thick, but i can definitely feel that it's there

I only just installed mine about an hour ago, and it's already pretty clear, it's not crystal clear, but it's not like an anti-fingerprint protector.

How does the feel compare to something like the Power Support crystal film? I've always used Power Support and like the feel of their films, but I ordered BSE this time. Will I notice a difference in the feel with BSE?

If you've strictly used crystal films before, you might have a tougher time getting used to a wet install film. There's a definite tactile feel to it, it's not sticky or tacky, but you know its there. Personally i like the feel.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I love mine. It took 48 hours to fully dissipate all the very tiny bubbles. It actually feels apart of my screen now, anybody with fresh installs you watch it'll mold really nicely to your display soon.

On the flipside I'm kind of nervous when it'll be time to peel this thing off. The 6 just feels so fragile, and with there being bending and gaps in certain displays/frame bezels that had to be returned I'm a little worried.

----------

You will feel a rubbery ugly feel at first but don't worry. That's because it won't be fully dry and it'll need some breaking in e.g bubbles and the smell to go away and your fingerprints oils on it. Once it presses down it actually doesn't feel much different than a dry protector.

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
BSE just tweeted me that the back only option was now available for immediate purchase on their website WITHOUT the fold over flaps that are causing some people real issues during install but will definitely be an issue for all down the road. The corners will peel. Always. No matter what.

This is the way for a company to react. Market isn't happy with current product. Company asks what the consumer wants and then delivers it...quickly and with no BS. These people deserve my money and they will certainly be getting it.

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Here are my results with BSE full body skin front glossy and back matte. Fit is great, with the rounded edges this skin may last a while longer than the iPhone 5 skin. The sharp square edges and little sections on the 5 didn't last too long but the screen protector did.

I'm very happy with this skin, it gives me a little better grip and will prevent scratches. I'm going with this and AppleCare so I'm not too concerned about drop protection. Handling this huge phone is also better without a case. I have the black leather case which is very slim, but I find that I can do more with one hand without the case. I don't know about the other colours but on my space grey with the matte skin you really have to take a close look to notice that the phone has a skin on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 331

inf

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
How well do these work with a case on?

Thinking of ordering a set of these as the glass protectors might interfere with a case.

I have an apple leather case and Spigen Neo Hybrid. Anyone tested these with these two cases? Just wondering should i get the case optimized version or the normal?

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Here are my results with BSE full body skin front glossy and back matte. Fit is great, with the rounded edges this skin may last a while longer than the iPhone 5 skin. The sharp square edges and little sections on the 5 didn't last too long but the screen protector did.

I'm very happy with this skin, it gives me a little better grip and will prevent scratches. I'm going with this and AppleCare so I'm not too concerned about drop protection. Handling this huge phone is also better without a case. I have the black leather case which is very slim, but I find that I can do more with one hand without the case. I don't know about the other colours but on my space grey with the matte skin you really have to take a close look to notice that the phone has a skin on it.

Nice install!

Do you think putting a case on is a bad idea?

I want full coverage with a case also, but from what I've been reading, I'm afraid of putting a case with a back protector as it may peel.

I just ordered a case optimized back a while earlier to prepare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.