Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That's not what I was hoping to hear - that's just two months out of the repair warranty.

What's Apples response when the repair fails repeatedly within the 3 month warranty,...... offer a replacement, .... not easy in my case because the 17" is no longer made.

Ive heard tell that 3 failures in the warranty period might get you a new comparable machine. It would seemingly have to be a 15" rMBP.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Mine is being taken into Apple tomorrow. I did speak to a genius before hand and he said they'd do everything they can to avoid an expensive repair bill. Knowing my luck, it will pass all it's diagnostics and crash as soon as I get home.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Some good news. As I bought my MBP from them and due to flexibility under UK law, Apple are waiving the £345 fee to replace the main logic board :)

MBPiPTiMiP4S

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Apple needs to do something about this! Every time I boot up my MBP the boot screen starts to flip out! I bought it back in 2011 and have no AppleCare! I need this for my Graphic Design work! Apple please do something about this please!

Pfc. Parts

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I'd certainly like a refund, I've had to repair 4 of these MBPs in the last year, but I can't see how soldering the GPU back on is really going to fix the problem, they still run too hot and it's going to happen again. PowerBook Medic is getting just shy of $400 to fix these things so I'm already down the cost of a new machine. Problem is, Apple doesn't make 17" MBPs anymore so we're sort of stuck.

One thing I've done is use the Flash Disable add-on for Firefox to reduce the unnecessary advertising load these Flash enabled web sites keep putting on my GPU, it seems to help quite a bit. Maybe I'll get more than a couple of years out of the repaired boards.

mjseads

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I am also a victim of this. My MBP 2011 15" has jus worked for two years and then problems started coming I did some resets but the probs just kept coming. In the end the MBP jus died with all my data just like that and when I took it to the Apple Store in chadstone, Melbourne Australia they asked me for a 1040$ Which is really unfair. And I was ready to pay but the problem is one of my friends had the same issue and he got it replaced but the thing is the logic board jus lasted for 4 months . I think it is high time apple owns this up and give a permanent solution. Without losing there brand image . I am huge fan of apple but this is making me reconsider

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I'll get an retina MacBook pro on my own budget, this time also I'll get full extended warranty, I hope later Apple honor all the affected or at least provide a durable repair or solution to this problem (as new build logic board with current on production components with same or superior performance).

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I have a late 2011 MBP and I didn't even realise this was an issue.

Some good news. As I bought my MBP from them and due to flexibility under UK law, Apple are waiving the £345 fee to replace the main logic board :)
As far as I understand it in the UK if there is a known fault that can be traced back to when you first purchased it then Apple are legally obliged to repair it regardless if the machine is out of warranty.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I have a late 2011 MBP and I didn't even realise this was an issue.

As far as I understand it in the UK if there is a known fault that can be traced back to when you first purchased it then Apple are legally obliged to repair it regardless if the machine is out of warranty.

they wouldn't have had a choice. the board was replaced under applecare once, then the replacement failed 6 months later!

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
The further replacements will keep failing. They are reworked boards, there's no new parts left in the system. Once you get to three then there is a good chance they'll replace the Mac...

iEvangelist

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Does anyone know the cause for this issue?

I had the 2010 model which was affected, and now I am currently using a 2012 refurb.

Having the 2010, 2011 models affected does not bode well for my 2012 :eek:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Try reading the earlier article linked in the first post. :rolleyes:

The 2010 and 2011 issues are unrelated. A small number of 2010s got a bad batch of GPUs. The 2011s have a manufacturing issue with the GPU. What does his have to do with your 2012? Nothing.

Treeman574

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
QLD, Australia
I had this exact issue. Laptop was 1 year 4 months old and I was desperate, so I paid to have the logic board replaced. Picked up the 'fixed' laptop and it died within the day. Had it replaced again, same issue. Fourth time they tried to blame it on the aftermarket ram, so I had them put stock ram in, ran grapher for a little bit and broke it in front of them in the store.

Ended up with a late 2012 mbp, which has been going strong since but was a seriously annoying (and expensive) hassle to get. Any chance I could get back the cost of the logic board replacement?

Iloveit

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2014
Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch

My 13 in has had similar problems with the lines on the screen. It has been running extremely hot. It has been shutting down unexpectedly. Upon opening the computer I often am seeing a black screen.

This is my first macbook pro, and I have been very happy with it until these problems.

I just updated the software again, and after shutting it down and restarting it seems to be running a little cooler.

I expected to get five or more years out of this laptop. We own fifteen apple products, and I am just finding myself very disappointed. Can't afford to shell out big bucks like that only to have the product fail.

Wondering what company actually makes a quality product. Someone should start a computer company that actually stands by their products for at least a full five years.

Apple is supposed to be the company that makes life easier for everyone.

Okay. That's my rant.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
the 13" doesn't have this problem as it doesn't have a discrete graphics chip. Whatever is happening to your laptop is not the same problem.

dvhoosier

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Whats the latest and greatest repair on this issue, my 2011 15 MBP graphics went out 2 months ago. Apple won't attempt to repair. I was using a stupid web based map program and it burned it up.

Applelad

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
Whats the latest and greatest repair on this issue, my 2011 15 MBP graphics went out 2 months ago. Apple won't attempt to repair. I was using a stupid web based map program and it burned it up.

It's fairly well understood (as I understand!) that you need to get the graphics chip re-set/replaced by a reputable electronics oriented (as apposed to a shop) mac repair company - they should have done the process lots of times. This is how I had mine fixed and Apple in the end refunded the cost (back in the day).

However, I would recommend instead you look for a good condition 2012 model as you should be able to pick one of these up for not much more than the repair cost (that is unless you have the 17inch model that there is no 2012 version). The 2012 models have native USB 3, are slightly faster and your ssd's will just drop in and work.

dvhoosier

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
It's fairly well understood (as I understand!) that you need to get the graphics chip re-set/replaced by a reputable electronics oriented (as apposed to a shop) mac repair company - they should have done the process lots of times. This is how I had mine fixed and Apple in the end refunded the cost (back in the day).

However, I would recommend instead you look for a good condition 2012 model as you should be able to pick one of these up for not much more than the repair cost (that is unless you have the 17inch model that there is no 2012 version). The 2012 models have native USB 3, are slightly faster and your ssd's will just drop in and work.

Will my RAM from a 2011 MBP 15 work in a 2012 MBP 15? thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.