Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC79

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
Not totally clear?

The colored edges bother me, why not clear? Trying to match colors on different sides of the original glass I think is always going to be noticeable. Also how thick is the material? Most of the 'skin' style cases I've looked at have less than 1 mm clearance over the screen.

schramm25

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
Case and tempered glass

i just got my new iphone6 and i bought a tempered glass sp as well. but like all others, it also does not cover 100%. i guess i buy a new one later when available. but at least i got a nice case that goes around to the front and covers a bit more then usual cases. hybrid with silicon frame and hard back side with or without patterns. i like my one a lot with the straight simple lines. got it here:
http://bling-my-thing.com/309-ayano-expression

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=499488&stc=1&d=1412148454

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141001_141757.jpg
    20141001_141757.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8,607
  • 20141001_141728.jpg
    20141001_141728.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,650

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
I've found another glass screen protector that can cover the entire phone screen on a Japanese website: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ceecloud/mr-001/?s-id=review_PC_il_item_01. This one is completely transparent, unlike the iloome.

Thanks for your info. It actually helps. Honestly I prefer transparent unless there is some solid reason for going coloured edges.

One interesting thing I find about araree CORE CURVED glass protector is that it uses glass made by ASAHI Glass -- probably the same company who manufactures some windshield and windows for automobile such as Toyota and Lexus.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Thanks for your info. It actually helps. Honestly I prefer transparent unless there is some solid reason for going coloured edges.

One interesting thing I find about araree CORE CURVED glass protector is that it uses glass made by ASAHI Glass -- probably the same company who manufactures some windshield and windows for automobile such as Toyota and Lexus.

wish that page was in English hehe, and here. I agree a curved protector would be my choice but why does the page show the gap? without text I don't know what they are showing..maybe the competition?

I guess in time there will be several options.. I've already ordered the iloome one and hope I didn't jump too soon.

hqt5009

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
Cambridge, MA
wish that page was in English hehe, and here. I agree a curved protector would be my choice but why does the page show the gap? without text I don't know what they are showing..maybe the competition?

I guess in time there will be several options.. I've already ordered the iloome one and hope I didn't jump too soon.

I think the Japanese one is released (on the web page, it's indicated that the glass protector will be delivered within 2-4 days) so I hope that there will be reviews on it soon (and perhaps real photos of what the glass looks like on the phone). Will update when I see the reviews.

----------

You are welcome! I, too, prefer the glass protector to be completely transparent. Hopefully there will be reviews up soon for it.

KlTTY

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
What a disappointment. I was hoping for a clean looking screen protector. Is it impossible to fully cover the part under the home button or something?

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
What a disappointment. I was hoping for a clean looking screen protector. Is it impossible to fully cover the part under the home button or something?

I'm wondering what the reason for the colored edge is, but, if it hangs over the curve a little I guess it helps make it look better? What about cases, they aren't going to be made to handle a flat protector sticking out past the curve of the phone maybe, unless it's really small. hmmm guess time and reviews will only tell. Another week and we'll know. :)

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I'm wondering what the reason for the colored edge is, but, if it hangs over the curve a little I guess it helps make it look better? What about cases, they aren't going to be made to handle a flat protector sticking out past the curve of the phone maybe, unless it's really small. hmmm guess time and reviews will only tell. Another week and we'll know. :)

What's going to be different in a week from now that we would know?

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
What's going to be different in a week from now that we would know?

The iloome with their b/w edges start shipping on the 6th, so we'll have reviews here on those, at least answering about the colored edge bevel.

ProPlus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
I think the dry screen protectors are good enough. Just find one that is wider than others. The application needs to be more precise when applying it bc it barely covers all of the black part of the screen. I was able to cover all of the black if you see the zoomed up home button pic. The angle of the shot on the other pic makes it seem like it's not fully covered but it is actually fully covered.

Attachments

• full.JPG
    full.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 574
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    989.6 KB · Views: 457
  • Home button.jpg
    Home button.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,618

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
The iloome with their b/w edges start shipping on the 6th, so we'll have reviews here on those, at least answering about the colored edge bevel.

If you look at the side view picture..... The glass looks as thick as the mute switch. He says that the glass is .4MM... The actual glass may be .4 mm but that edge is over 1 mm. This makes sense because the part that is painted is filled so it takes up the gap from the curve.

Great idea but I am going to say that most cases will not work with this glass. The Iphone 5 leather case would have worked but with the Iphone 6 design, even the Apple cases hug the lines and have a little bit of lip.

Attachments

• 10410374_649391308508964_3743152565332284109_n.jpg
    10410374_649391308508964_3743152565332284109_n.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 654

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Hi guys! I want to drop in and say that our manufacturing issue has been resolved and we should be getting out the pre-orders out in October! Also, we'll need to know which color you want, because we forgot to ask you first :( Sorry about that!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

- Luke from iloome

Sorry if this has been answered already I didn't see it but why are there color choices to begin with? I've never seen a screen protector have colors?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Yeah NOT a fan of the look on the phone. I hate the button cut out...... I know it was rob difficult to possibly impossible to have it not have the gap in the bottom but that hurts my eyes to look at.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Yeah NOT a fan of the look on the phone. I hate the button cut out...... I know it was rob difficult to possibly impossible to have it not have the gap in the bottom but that hurts my eyes to look at.

Your comment is difficult to decipher.

iloomeOfficial

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Sorry if this has been answered already I didn't see it but why are there color choices to begin with? I've never seen a screen protector have colors?

Hello! It was difficult to create tempered glass that covered the edge as well as it does now without color borders; otherwise we would have to have create one that does not cover edge-to-edge.

----------

We totally understand your concern! During testing, we tried to have home button covered like our iPhone 5/4 models, but it was too weak because the gap between the home button and bottom edge was too thin. That being said, we'll keep trying to create a better glass for everyone to enjoy as time goes on!

GrecoISU

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
We totally understand your concern! During testing, we tried to have home button covered like our iPhone 5/4 models, but it was too weak because the gap between the home button and bottom edge was too thin. That being said, we'll keep trying to create a better glass for everyone to enjoy as time goes on!

Have you tested the glass with cases? I've never done glass before but I'm ready for a switch because my Zagg shield seems to get nicked up by the cases I use.

Seems like a great product but if isn't compatible with cases I think I'll pass.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked but there are a lot of different threads.

Anyone find a good protector to go along with the Apple Leather case without it lifting?

In the market.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Hello! It was difficult to create tempered glass that covered the edge as well as it does now without color borders; otherwise we would have to have create one that does not cover edge-to-edge.

----------

I'll assume all manufacturers will/are having the same issue so if that's what all glass will look like I'll have to accept.

jay19

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Hey guys, I came across this today which looks promising. Will let you guys know once I receive mine! Currently in pre-order to release in the coming weeks

http://store.phantom.glass/collections/frontpage/products/pre-order-phantom-glass-for-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Hey guys, I came across this today which looks promising. Will let you guys know once I receive mine! Currently in pre-order to release in the coming weeks

http://store.phantom.glass/collections/frontpage/products/pre-order-phantom-glass-for-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus
" ***PLEASE NOTE*** Phantom Glass will currently cover the maximum surface area of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus BEFORE the curved edge of the screen starts..."

Given this, not sure how they can claim edge-edge protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.