Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
It's how businesses operate.

Using software for business is very different to using software for fun stuff.

I have a non-work MacBook Pro which I don't use for work - and I'll be testing out Yosemite for that. But for work Macs, it's Mountain Lion for a while.

Yeah I know. As I said I was just kidding. Making light of the geekiness of most of us on these boards (including me). I run an IT shop, also. So I know how important it is to keeps standards, and predictable support models.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I'll probably jump on the band wagon at 10.10.5

It's been real entertainment to read these forums, seeing the angst and pain everyone suffers going through the .0 to .4 iterations.

I got burned with Leopard (10.5) - I installed it on day-one, and spent 4 hours with Apple Help line trying to salvage my photos from the dead Mac.

With Snow Leopard -- which everyone reveres as rock solid -- they forget that Snow Leopard, for me at least, didn't really get rock solid with Apple Mail until 10.6.6, and attained its legendary status for stability by 10.6.9. I installed SL at 10.6.4 and had some teething problems until it got to 10.6.6

So for Lion I waited it out till 10.7.4 and it was rather trouble free. I watched from the sidelines as people tore their hair out sorting out bugs in the .0 to .3 releases.

For Mountain Lion, same. I jumped in at 10.8.4 when things were fairly good. Right now, ML for me is rock solid.

For Mavericks 10.9, I never installed. Same as ever, there were claims it was stable from Gold Master, but the inevitable bugs in Apple Mail only became widespread when it went public. From reading reports, I'm not convinced Apple Mail in Mavericks 10.9.5 has been totally fixed for Gmail IMAP. Notionally, I would be willing to take a risk with Mavericks if its features were compelling, but there is nothing in Mavericks that attracts me.

I think I'll wait it out till 10.10.5 with Yosemite, and then come onboard. I think Yosemite looks cool.

Even if OSX is free, it costs me to upgrade because I have to pay for the latest update to VMWare Fusion, plus the possibility of having to re-install Windows 7 each time. So unless the OSX new features are really compelling, I tend to stay put for a while.

I never had any of these issues for one reason or another.. but.. You won't be installing an Operating System because of a stupid Mail app? I mean, REALLY? That's what holding you off?:confused: And has been since Snow Leo? Wow...

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I can't see a situation where I would need Continuity.

In my job, I work in the area of innovation. One of the tests for predicting the success of a product is whether there has been a prior long-felt need, or a longstanding problem. In this case, I've used iOS and Mac for years, and never felt the regular need to start a message on one device, and continue on another.

And where I do, it's already available. I type a message in Gmail IMAP, save it. I can continue working on it on another Mac in drafts. I already have all the continuity I need with IMAP and Cloud.
I work in a corporation which uses products from a number of software vendors.
There are custom interfaces between many of the products. They weren't designed to work seamlessly with each other, but the interfaces make them work relatively well together. The problem is that upgrading any one of those products is a huge ordeal (financially, and for the staff that supports it). Every update to one product requires testing (and sometimes altering) all the interfaces to every other product it touches.

I don't want that hassle with my iPhone and Mac, which is why I use the Apple products whenever possible: Safari may not be the best browser, but it works, and the responsibility for making sure it works on the Mac and iPhone is with Apple. I use Apple's mail and mail client (rather than Gmail or Outlook) for the same reason.

Even with All Apple, All the Time, the are occasionally problems, but I don't have the same level of frustration I see others having with Outlook or Gmail or other third party products whenever Apple, Google, or Microsoft has an update.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Took the plunge and clean installed Yosemite on my rMBP (my only Mac).

There's a trick where I deleted the entire Mavericks operating system (when booted from USB or recovery partition) and renamed my Users folder so I didn't have to format or back up/reinstall all my files. I simply have to move them back into my new Users folder. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're not a Mac veteran and aren't comfortable with Terminal (there's lots of hidden system directories), but it was quick and worked a treat.

I also chose to reinstall all my apps since I'm OCD about keeping installer packages and App Store makes reinstalling Mac App Store apps easy, but this is probably more effort than it's worth for most. I just like a clean System whenever a new major release comes out.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Lyrical is already the name of a itunes library lyric tagger utility incase that matters to you. i use it and it works pretty well. just select the songs you want lyrics for in itunes and hit go and it updates them with the lyrics from some far away database that seems to get them right.

Yeah I know that app, use it a lot to fetch the lyrics, but it's called 'Get Lyrical' so I hope I can get away with just 'Lyrical' :D

Awesome! Could you make it possible to set a global keyboard shortcut to rate songs? Like Command+1,2,3,4,5 etc to rate a song without being in the app?

Sure, I'll put that in my to-do list. :)

Seems cool and useful. I will keep checking for it and get it as soon it is available. :)

Yay! Thanks :)

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
How does Yosemite look on a non retina display? I've been told the system wide font looks worse than the current Mavericks font.
It's fine.

Yosemite uses Helvetica which is a relatively dense font and consequently is a little harder to read in low resolutions than the font Lucida Grande which was an optimal choice for Mac OS X 0 to 9 during the phase of low(er) resolutions.

But it's fine. I hardly notice it when switching from one computer to the other. The eye adapts quickly.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
I'll probably jump on the band wagon at 10.10.5

It's been real entertainment to read these forums, seeing the angst and pain everyone suffers going through the .0 to .4 iterations.

I got burned with Leopard (10.5) - I installed it on day-one, and spent 4 hours with Apple Help line trying to salvage my photos from the dead Mac.

With Snow Leopard -- which everyone reveres as rock solid -- they forget that Snow Leopard, for me at least, didn't really get rock solid with Apple Mail until 10.6.6, and attained its legendary status for stability by 10.6.9. I installed SL at 10.6.4 and had some teething problems until it got to 10.6.6

So for Lion I waited it out till 10.7.4 and it was rather trouble free. I watched from the sidelines as people tore their hair out sorting out bugs in the .0 to .3 releases.

For Mountain Lion, same. I jumped in at 10.8.4 when things were fairly good. Right now, ML for me is rock solid.

For Mavericks 10.9, I never installed. Same as ever, there were claims it was stable from Gold Master, but the inevitable bugs in Apple Mail only became widespread when it went public. From reading reports, I'm not convinced Apple Mail in Mavericks 10.9.5 has been totally fixed for Gmail IMAP. Notionally, I would be willing to take a risk with Mavericks if its features were compelling, but there is nothing in Mavericks that attracts me.

I think I'll wait it out till 10.10.5 with Yosemite, and then come onboard. I think Yosemite looks cool.

Even if OSX is free, it costs me to upgrade because I have to pay for the latest update to VMWare Fusion, plus the possibility of having to re-install Windows 7 each time. So unless the OSX new features are really compelling, I tend to stay put for a while.

i have to say i just updated to mavericks 2 weeks ago and the best update i can recall ever, both air +imac running fast + gave me more memory

i never run to update but i wish i had with mavs esp if you have an air

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
How does Yosemite look on a non retina display? I've been told the system wide font looks worse than the current Mavericks font.

Personally, I think it looks great, but it does get a bit harder to read when the font size is small.

Liam555

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
The fact we are getting close worries me because Dark Mode still isn't working on any apps. All it does is change the menu bar and dock black.

Making dark mode work on apps would defeat the whole purpose of dark mode. Dark mode isn't to make everything look cool and darker. It was made for less distraction and easier focus on the main app. Making the main app dark would make it less easier to focus on and not the contrary.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
But don't you pay a security downside price for all that stability upside?

Right now, Mountain Lion is being updated e.g. for BASH Shell Shock, but, yes, there will come a time when the security side will force me to the next OS. But that's not now.

----------

I will update on day one. I use my computer primarily for work.

But you're probably not in a line of work where you get sued if you mess up professionally, where you had to do something by a given deadline, and you needed your computer to do that, and if you did not do it by a certain deadline, then it all goes up in smoke. Not all people do that sort of work.

----------

I never had any of these issues for one reason or another.. but.. You won't be installing an Operating System because of a stupid Mail app? I mean, REALLY? That's what holding you off?:confused: And has been since Snow Leo? Wow...

Yes. With my work, I am in Mail literally all day and night. So if Mail stuffs up, my professional practice goes down the tube. So, yes, I have not upgraded because of one app, Mail.

----------

i have to say i just updated to mavericks 2 weeks ago and the best update i can recall ever, both air +imac running fast + gave me more memory

i never run to update but i wish i had with mavs esp if you have an air

I read the Mac website regularly, and from what i hear, overall Mavericks is superb. The weakness is Apple Mail - which, unfortunately, happens to be the number one app that I use for my work. So even if Mavericks is overall superb, for me Mail has to be superb as well. From what I hear, it is not.

darksnake

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
so is this the final release (GM) that would actually be in the App Store for consumers?

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
so is this the final release (GM) that would actually be in the App Store for consumers?

It most likely would be if Apple were still selling their OS on a physical disk. Because the OS will be distributed electronically, there's still a chance they may fix a few bugs before release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.