Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
But what does this speed do for the new iPhone?

100mb is plenty.
There's no streaming service that uses bandwidth near that high.

Now Apple is playing the spec game but this one is not really useful the typical user.

I guess it could be useful to make copying a file quicker from the iPhone to a computer so you can send the file via email.

Should of added more memory instead...

Plex can make use of this. Wifi sync can make use of this, Dropbox over LAN can make use of this, local streaming can make use of this, Airdrop can make use of this, Instashare can make use of this, XBMC can make use of this, iTunes Home can make use of this, OSX server can make use of this (especially the cache) - do you want any more examples where a faster LAN connection is useful?

----------

Its really not, you won't see any applicable difference in real world scenarios.

See above for about 8 real world scenarios I'm finding improvement with already.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
haha i wouldn't get any of these speeds unless i want to pay my ISP $150/mo just for the internet

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
Yesss!!! Finally, I can connect to my router at over 250Mb/s!

Of course, that is of limited usefulness considering my router connects to the Internet at 1.5Mb/s...

Unbelievable that I can live in a suburban area in one of the richest countries in the world, and not get ADSL2.

Sounds like my friend who was bogged down by his cat 3 Ethernet cables.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Plex can make use of this. Wifi sync can make use of this, Dropbox over LAN can make use of this, local streaming can make use of this, Airdrop can make use of this, Instashare can make use of this, XBMC can make use of this, iTunes Home can make use of this, OSX server can make use of this (especially the cache) - do you want any more examples where a faster LAN connection is useful?

----------

See above for about 8 real world scenarios I'm finding improvement with already.

Those real-world scenarios only work if you're basically on top of the router.

"The router was placed 1.5 metres away..."

lol. 1.5 meters away? That's about 5 feet! Let me tell you the drop off in speed even at 5-10 meters (~15-30 feet) away is pretty extreme.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think most people will see NO benefit from 802.11 AC until we have better antenna systems in small, personal electronics.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well that is some good news.

I was wondering about the Wifi speed, cause mine seemed slow on the current router (i'm travelling). Must be the router itself hopefully.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I really wish Macrumors would post some useful information about this, rather than omgstandingontopoftherouterprovidesoutstandingresults, unhelpful information.

Again, for most people, 802.11 AC WILL NOT SHOW ANY IMPROVEMENTS on your iPhones!

Here, about 40-50 feet from the router, which isn't even that far! My iPad Air and my iPhone 6 Plus, both run independently, connected to 2013 Airport Time Capsule.

See what I mean? The iPad Air does much better because of its dual-antenna system. Small devices like the iPhones with their sub-par antenna system will get little-to-no benefit. And the iPad Air doesn't even have 802.11 AC!

FYI, when about 3-4 feet from the router, I see about ~250Mbit from the iPhone 6 Plus. But who cares about that distance?

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3978.PNG
    IMG_3978.PNG
    273.7 KB · Views: 128

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
How?

My iPhone 5S only manages 40Megabits down via Wifi.
Same wifi router on my MacBook Pro maxes out at 100Megabits
Via Thunderbolt Gigabit ethernet adapter it reaches 160Megabits

All done via SpeedTest.net app / website.

(my Internet package speed / fibre optic / cable is 152Mb as advertised).

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Well my iPhone 5 has slower 802.11n throughput than my ISP can provide. i5 gets about 80 to 90Mbps but I get almost 160Mbps from my ISP.

And name ten tasks where a phone would require such throughput and/or would have any discernible performance impact.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I would love to see some real world examples of ac in action. If it significantly improved the speed of itunes wifi sync then I would consider upgrading my router, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other factors that limit the speed of iTunes wifi sync.

Such as it never connecting properly. I swear it's sometimes like trying to coax an invisible fly into a teacup. :rolleyes:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
On my Mac Pro (wired connection)
Ping 12 ms, Download 110.41 Mbps (slower than normal)

On my rMBP (wireless AC connection)
Ping 24 ms, Download 141.27 Mbps (normal)

On my phone (wireless AC connection)
Ping 20 ms, Download 40.18 Mbps (normal)

Not sure why it's so much lower.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Its really not, you won't see any applicable difference in real world scenarios.

I would've thought that before, but after anandtech showed just how fast the NAND is in these new iPhones, perhaps it would speed up copying files over wifi to or from your 6.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I got asus 68u router where I can have separate ssid for 5g and regular wifi networks. Should I keep ssid same for both networks assuming iPhone 6 will choose b, g network when I'm in my backyard and automatically go back to faster AC network when I'm closer to the router??

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Well i guess Wifi sync will be alot faster with new iPhones. But i suppose thats it?

That's the only benefit I can think of. Hell, my home is the only place I ever go where I'm treated to even 25 Mbps from an ISP. Every "Free WiFi" establishment seems to think 5 Mbps is about as fast as we need.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I went through months of it not working, only to revert back to the cable, however it works every time for me on iOS 8

The only way I've got wifi sync to work consistently is by plugging it into my Mac. I plug it in anywhere else and my iPad/iPhone just sits at "Looking for Parasprite..." until it times out.

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Anyone that's ever used AirPlay to either stream a game or video will appreciate the extra bandwidth the iPhone can handle.

My body is very much ready. I hope the N speeds are faster too, not just AC

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Interesting how the + can calculate the MBPS faster than the 5S. More Megabits @faster deciphered speeds = win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.