Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
this rules out no media event on the 21st for sure, they wouldnt have one the day after the earnings call..

haven't the media events been well before the earnings call?

The two are unrelated and conducted by different departments w/i Apple. I don't see how it rules it out -- though a second event hasn't been ruled "in" yet. It may not be worth it if all Apple has is a gold color iPad and Retina iMac. OS X 10 features have been well reported already.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
the "industry average" is around 22, that means investors aren't willing to pay a higher multiple for aapl stock compared to its competitors. Comparing to the S&P pe doesn't tell you much, even though it tells you investors are only willing to pay half the amount for the earnings compared to the rest of the s&p. I'm not trying to "make a point" just stating facts. PE is just to see how "expensive" a stock is compared to its competitors in the same sector. And if apple is trading at a discount, there is justifiable reasons for that, ie, lack of growth compared to competitors.

Megadon,

Love that you are giving investment lessons to IJ Reily. He is basically a trader, so he probably has those points covered.

I wouldn't use the Apple stock price and PE ratio as an example of how the Market has Apple figured out. That is because we have clear evidence that the market got Apple RADICALLY wrong for about the last ten years. The market is getting a stock right when the stock stay static. But when it grows, the Market is saying that the earlier prices were too low.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Megadon,

Love that you are giving investment lessons to IJ Reily. He is basically a trader, so he probably has those points covered.

I wouldn't use the Apple stock price and PE ratio as an example of how the Market has Apple figured out. That is because we have clear evidence that the market got Apple RADICALLY wrong for about the last ten years. The market is getting a stock right when the stock stay static. But when it grows, the Market is saying that the earlier prices were too low.

Thanks for that. But please, I prefer to be called an investor. ;)

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Megadon,

I don't recall giving him advice on what he should do or not, but we have a difference in opinion or investment strategy.
I believe that the sector and industry, (consumer goods and electronic equipment) is actually a big part on where the stock is going. You don't have to agree, but you can do your own research and come to your own conclusions.
I only use PE to see how expensive a stock is compared to its peers.

It is important for a trader to know which industry groups are currently experiencing strength or weakness in a given time period, and you should understand how that sector or industry group typically performs in the current stage of the economic cycle. Within the overall market there are periods when some sectors are stronger or weaker than others, and stocks in the same industry are even more likely to move in the same direction

Then when it gets into financial analysis, financial ratios and measures are best compared with other companies in the same industry. Different industry groups will move in different directions depending on what part of the economic cycle you are currently experiencing. And companies in different industries can have very different capital needs. That means they will probably have very different financial structures.

So for me, if I'm thinking about investing in company like apple or google, I'm not going to compare the financial of exon mobile to see if its a good decision.
But this is all personal investment strategy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.