Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much will iPad Pro 12.9 cost?

• Starts 599

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Starts 699

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Starts 799

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Starts 899

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Starts 999

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Starts more than 999

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • It sucks

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters

Gotoma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
I don't know. If it's only $100 less than a MBA, why would you buy the iPad?

I know they're two different products, but I believe they need to be separated by price a little more..

They can do it if they have plans to release a more expensive Retina Macbook Air soonish.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i think people are getting swayed by the "pro" name. does nobody think the bigger ipad will actually be called the ipad plus (air plus)?

I wish "pro" actually means pro - not just a differend name for a (bigger) toy...

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
what if the pro is a replacement to the Mac Book Air?

iPad Pro that runs OSX sounds very yummy to me. Maybe its designed to go after the Surface Pro? If that is the case.....1299 128GB 3GB RAM.

Just a wild guess.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California

iPad Pro that runs OSX sounds very yummy to me. Maybe its designed to go after the Surface Pro? If that is the case.....1299 128GB 3GB RAM.

Just a wild guess.

No way! The MBA is a laptop, not a tablet.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014

Just a wild guess.

3 gigs of ram? Wtf are you running on 3 gigs of ram? And why only 128gigs of storage for 1299? Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
Have you seen what a Surface Pro 3 goes for? 1299 isn't that crazy....999 gets you a 128GB Surface Pro.

Ok, 4GB of RAM not 3.
Yea but 1299 gets you the keyboard 8 gigs of ram plus 256 gigs of flash storage. I have one. Hopefully one day apple will come out with something just like it. I think they'd both drive each other to do really cool things.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
Yea but 1299 gets you the keyboard 8 gigs of ram plus 256 gigs of flash storage. I have one. Hopefully one day apple will come out with something just like it. I think they'd both drive each other to do really cool things.

since when did Apple worry about over pricing anything? I wouldn't be surprised with 1299 price point and not be spec to spec specific.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
I'm guessing it'll start at $799 to compete with the Surface Pro. Probably start out at 32GB, so $899 for 64GB, and $999 for 128GB.
My hope if they do announce it that is has an attachable/Smart Cover keyboard that's included. This would eliminate the our cry when the Surface was launched without an included keyboard.

reddog1083

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
I personally responded with over $1000, just because I really hope Apple decides to go after the Surface Pro market.

Going based off entirely what I want, not really what I think Apple will do here, but imagine:

Digitizer with 1024+ levels of pressure sensitivity (artists can then use the Pro for sculpting, digital painting, etc).

Full OSX support (Otherwise you have to wait for the device to come out, and then wait for companies like Autodesk and Adobe to make iPad Pro specific ports of their products (or even worse, use the lackluster products available on the iOS App store).

Attachable keyboard a la the stormtrooper style iPad cases that were out (they essentially made the first and second gen iPads look like Macbook Pros).

Obviously this would compete against their current lineup of products (I'm sure the Air would still sell, and most definitely the MBP.. but honestly, if they didn't update to have touch screens as well then I could easily see the Air dropping in popularity substantially).

Honestly, I just want an iPad with an active digitizer. None of the stylus or pen options work on the current iPads (and not for their lack of effort, there's just no way to do anything other than sketch or basic drawing; and that's a real shame. Digital art is amazing on my buddies Surface Pro 3, but it would just be that much more amazing on an iPad Pro I'm sure).

Sorry for the rant, first post in seven years. :eek:

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
I'm guessing it'll start at $799 to compete with the Surface Pro. Probably start out at 32GB, so $899 for 64GB, and $999 for 128GB.
My hope if they do announce it that is has an attachable/Smart Cover keyboard that's included. This would eliminate the our cry when the Surface was launched without an included keyboard.

So do you believe it will be a hybrid with the ability to boot into ios and osx?

----------

I personally responded with over $1000, just because I really hope Apple decides to go after the Surface Pro market.

Going based off entirely what I want, not really what I think Apple will do here, but imagine:

Digitizer with 1024+ levels of pressure sensitivity (artists can then use the Pro for sculpting, digital painting, etc).

Full OSX support (Otherwise you have to wait for the device to come out, and then wait for companies like Autodesk and Adobe to make iPad Pro specific ports of their products (or even worse, use the lackluster products available on the iOS App store).

Attachable keyboard a la the stormtrooper style iPad cases that were out (they essentially made the first and second gen iPads look like Macbook Pros).

Obviously this would compete against their current lineup of products (I'm sure the Air would still sell, and most definitely the MBP.. but honestly, if they didn't update to have touch screens as well then I could easily see the Air dropping in popularity substantially).

Honestly, I just want an iPad with an active digitizer. None of the stylus or pen options work on the current iPads (and not for their lack of effort, there's just no way to do anything other than sketch or basic drawing; and that's a real shame. Digital art is amazing on my buddies Surface Pro 3, but it would just be that much more amazing on an iPad Pro I'm sure).

Sorry for the rant, first post in seven years. :eek:
If it didn't boot into osx than it can't be over 1k nor could it compete with the surface pro 3. It would still just be a larger ipad. As I'm sure you know the surface pro 3 uses the full desktop windows os. It would be better to compare it to the 12 inch galaxy tab series.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Without knowing what it is and what it does exactly it's hard to put a price on it.

Indeed, I think most feel it can't just be a enlarged iPad, which in itself is just an enlarged iPhone in reality.

It needs to be more.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
So do you believe it will be a hybrid with the ability to boot into ios and osx?

I'm thinking not a hybrid, but one that boots strictly to OSX. Tim Cook stated back in February to the WSJ that Apple was closer than ever to entering new product categories. So it's quite possible they've waited to release an OSX tablet to compete with the Surface Pro until they could get it exactly right. If that's the case I would estimate the price to be on par or slightly above the current Surface Pro.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

I'm thinking not a hybrid, but one that boots strictly to OSX. Tim Cook stated back in February to the WSJ that Apple was closer than ever to entering new product categories. So it's quite possible they've waited to release an OSX tablet to compete with the Surface Pro until they could get it exactly right. If that's the case I would estimate the price to be on par or slightly above the current Surface Pro.

I hope so, but I dont think we will see it this time around. Maybe next years WWDC with OSX.11. Im not sure how much of yosemite has been optimized for potential touch input, but Im sure it would be a bigger deal for developers if it were a revolutionary product (as an OSX tablet would be). This iPad though, I just see as iOS with a bit more features (such as split screen multitasking).

I foresee an iPad plus, starting at potentially $599 or $699 for a 16GB. An iPad pro, running OSX and stylus input for artists, I would say base model of $899 for 64GB.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
I hope so, but I dont think we will see it this time around. Maybe next years WWDC with OSX.11. Im not sure how much of yosemite has been optimized for potential touch input, but Im sure it would be a bigger deal for developers if it were a revolutionary product (as an OSX tablet would be). This iPad though, I just see as iOS with a bit more features (such as split screen multitasking).

I foresee an iPad plus, starting at potentially $599 or $699 for a 16GB. An iPad pro, running OSX and stylus input for artists, I would say base model of $899 for 64GB.
I'd love to see it for 899. But if it had all that wouldn't it kill the macbook air with the same price plus the functioning stylus support? Or do you think that's their intention at this point?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I'd love to see it for 899. But if it had all that wouldn't it kill the macbook air with the same price plus the functioning stylus support? Or do you think that's their intention at this point?

I wouldnt say it is their intention, I just dont think an OSX tablet would go for cheaper than that. Besides, it is just my guess. For all I know it could go in for 700 or even 1500. In my mind I see it much like an air, with the loss of the keyboard and potentially lower or equal specs. I just hope they give some sort of insight next Thursday. Though if they dont reveal an ipad plus with iOS, Ill be a lot more hopeful for an iPad pro with OSX for next year.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
How well is the Surface Pro tablet doing?

http://betanews.com/2014/09/13/micr...de-success-strong-sales-cause-limited-supply/

They say it's doing well and has already outsold the first and second generations combined. However, like the previous two models, they won't give sales numbers. So take that as you will. Just from an owners perspective, I love it. I mean it really is amazing minus the battery life in which I get 6-7 hours with 50 percent lighting just browsing and watching youtube videos. So that's something they need to improve on with the next iteration. Maybe they can copy that from apple. :)

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
http://betanews.com/2014/09/13/micr...de-success-strong-sales-cause-limited-supply/

They say it's doing well and has already outsold the first and second generations combined. However, like the previous two models, they won't give sales numbers. So take that as you will. Just from an owners perspective, I love it. I mean it really is amazing minus the battery life in which I get 6-7 hours with 50 percent lighting just browsing and watching youtube videos. So that's something they need to improve on with the next iteration. Maybe they can copy that from apple. :)

Interesting.

I'm young (26) and so are most of my friends. We live in Silicon Valley. We all love electronics and have money to blow. Not only does nobody I know own one, but I have never seen one in the flesh. I guess "doing well" is a relative term.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
Interesting.

I'm young (26) and so are most of my friends. We live in Silicon Valley. We all love electronics and have money to blow. Not only does nobody I know own one, but I have never seen one in the flesh. I guess "doing well" is a relative term.
True, but is it not accurate to say that a strong variable in the equation is that silicon valley is home to both google and apple. Which might make strong presence of both companies in the area an influence on the products being used where you live?

Id just like to add for what might be interesting information that I'm around your age too (23) and I live in the DC area. The school I go to (George Mason), I see quite a bit around, along with macbooks of course, and the occasional notes. East coast West coast rivalry maybe?

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
True, but is it not accurate to say that a strong variable in the equation is that silicon valley is home to both google and apple. Which might make strong presence of both companies in the area an influence on the products being used where you live?

Id just like to add for what might be interesting information that I'm around your age too (23) and I live in the DC area. The school I go to (George Mason), I see quite a bit around, along with macbooks of course, and the occasional notes. East coast West coast rivalry maybe?

Possibly! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.