Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Coming over from Android and just wondering if you can use the Iphone 6 as a Mobile Hot Spot?

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Have ATT and one change I noticed with using it as a hotspot is that my kids iPods can join it now. Not sure when that changed, is that a 8.0 thing?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Coming over from Android and just wondering if you can use the Iphone 6 as a Mobile Hot Spot?

As long as your carrier allows you too. I was using my iPhone 5c this morning as a hotspot because the hotel I'm at, lost its wifi for some reason.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
The hotspot is a big reason I left AT&T "unlimited" for the new plans. Now with the double data it's even a more valuable perk. :)

:apple:

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
yes, verizon offers that feature for free. T-mobile and AT-T you need to pay additionally.

Not correct. T-Mobile includes mobile hotspot/tethering with all their current postpaid plans. And even though T-Mobile made no announcement, they activated tethering at no additional cost for prepaid plans a few months ago as well.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Have ATT and one change I noticed with using it as a hotspot is that my kids iPods can join it now. Not sure when that changed, is that a 8.0 thing?
It's an iOS 4 or 5 thing. Can't remember which one exactly. :rolleyes: However, it's only allowed on plans with personal hotspot support (e.g. More Everything, Mobile Share, $30 add-on for UDP, tiered data 4+GB, etc).

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Not sure about the 6 but it used to suck the heck out of my 5S battery, too!

I stopped doing it when purchased the 128gb Air with AT&T cellular.

Try to tether with Bluetooth and not wifi. Much better on the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.