Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Last edited:

jediuia

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I received my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB spacegray at about 3pm on Friday and set it up, but haven't worn it out that day, so it wasn't in my pocket.

Yesterday, I left at 10am with the iPhone in my left FRONT pocket of my suit pants. I drove 4 hours to a wedding, which also involved a lot of sitting during dinner etc but also 2-3 hours of dancing. I left at 2am and went to bed, driving home 4 hours back.

So in total, the 6 Plus was about 18 hours in my pocket while sitting mostly.

As I lay it on the coffee table and sat down on the couch to relax from the drive (yes, sitting again :rolleyes:), I saw the reflection of the window in the iPhones slightly distorted. Now I lay it flat with the display side on the table, take a look.

Maybe at 5.5" it is too thin?

Is it just me, I take my phone out of my pocket when driving. I use Waze for GPS, use audible etc...

The only time my phones in my pocket is when I am actually working on something at my job but still don't have these issues.

How tight were these pants? Don't suits have jacket pockets you can utilize?

jediuia

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I seen it. He bends the Samsung opposite way which is stronger.

Yes that video is hilarious. He bends the iPhone one way with all his might, then bends the note the other way acting like he is struggling, re-positioning it several times. LOL

Who the hell cant bend a phone? Anyone want to donate me a note Ill bend the crap out of it and post it on youtube.

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
I'm confused, which Apple OS issues and device defects are you referring to? What was you or your friends bad experience with an Apple genius? If you want help in the Apple community, don't charge in comparing it to Microsoft, otherwise your are just asking to be chastised.

Several, look at Apple's reply to the following issues:

Discolouring White MacBooks (2006)

They discoloured in the first month of ownership. Apple claimed it was oily hands causing this problem.

Random shut downs MacBook (2006)

In early 2006, many MacBooks were randomly shutting down. It was caused by the CPU heat sink touching a sensor, causing the sensor to short circuit.

Apple initially claimed it was because people were putting the computer in their lap, only to release an update later which disabled that sensor.

Failing LCD MacBook Pro (2006-2008)

A year into ownership, a number of MacBook Pro owners discovered vertical lines running across their display. Apple refused to repair these as they were out of warranty, despite the fact it was a well know defect in that particular dispay.

Overheating MacBook and MacBook Pro (2006-2008)

MacBook and MacBook Pro's from 2006-2008 ran incredibly hot. So hot that it caused some users to have burns. Apple told users to not put their lap.

Several third party sources discovered the issue was caused by excessive thermal paste on the heat-sync. The problem has gone away for the most part in new laptops.

Fraying T-Style MagSafe

Number of T-Style MagSafe's were fraying. Apple initially stated it was a wear and tear issue, only to replace the MagSafe style due to the premature fraying.

Fraying MagSafe L-Style

Similar problem, although no where nearly as common. It's suspected it is caused by Apple choosing to keep the cord thin.

Ghosting on LG based Rentia Displays (2012)

A number of Apple users reported that ghost images were appearing on their new Apple Retina Display MacBook's. Apple initially refused to recognize the problem, but eventually they did recognize it. However, most many users still complain that Apple will not a replacement unless it passes a test created by Apple.

Here are some from Wikipedia concerning AppleCare:

Apple has been repeatedly criticized for its unwillingness to honor its warranties and its concomitant penchant for giving any reason for doing so, no matter how bizarre: in 2008, Apple repair centers began to refuse to honor warranties of its products which had been used in an environment it deemed hazardous, i.e., that had been used around someone who smokes; and in 2009, Apple refused to honor its warranty and replace a defective battery on a machine that had a small amount of unrelated cosmetic damage that did not affect the machine's functionality, nor that of its battery.

All of the above is, in my opinion, bad customer service and Apple is rightly fully criticized when issues like this emerge.

Last edited:

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
I'm confused, which Apple OS issues and device defects are you referring to? What was you or your friends bad experience with an Apple genius? If you want help in the Apple community, don't charge in comparing it to Microsoft, otherwise your are just asking to be chastised.

----------

OMG what a scandal! My frying pan is defective, it should NEVER bend like this...

Really? There's a story on the frickin front page right now of Apple customers receiving settlement checks from a lawsuit because Apple was telling customers it was their fault when it was a faulty water sensor. That customers had to sue for refunds even after the sensor was found to be unreliable says a lot...

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
If you have applecare and the phone does indeed get bent in the pocket, the worse case is to just pay the $129 replacement cost. Correct?

Doesn't seem that bad in this scenario, since its claimed to be a rare occurrence.

paulking

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Maybe put it in your pocket the opposite side down and it will bend back. Alternative each day.

Kidding of course. Sorry to hear this sad tale.
Apple will make it right I'm sure. Take it back.

Apple is going to regret the build on this thing.
There will be more and more of these stories.
Guaranteed.
Too bad cause I'm a total fan.
Have the 6. Love it.
Sold my two year old 5 for $325 BTW.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
iPhone 6 Plus slightly bent after 2 days

I am not worried. I believe it is over blown.

I have had it for a full week now. I have taken it to the gym, I have strapped it tightly in a fit belt on several miles runs. I have feel asleep atop of the phone, after a enjoyable Friday night. I have worn it for days in the pocket of my skinny (can't lift my leg up all the way skinny) jeans for hours at a time. I have done everything to it, including a few drops.

The phone is in Pristine condition. Flawless and as straight as an arrow.

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Really? There's a story on the frickin front page right now of Apple customers receiving settlement checks from a lawsuit because Apple was telling customers it was their fault when it was a faulty water sensor. That customers had to sue for refunds even after the sensor was found to be unreliable says a lot...

Yeah, its a SETTLEMENT. Apple wasn't found financially liable. If anything 3M is at fault but I doubt that. They design their water indicator specifically for electronic devices which they state requires liquid water to change color and indicate water damage. Apple did not break any of their warranty contracts and they have clearly stated environmental operation requirements for their devices. And before you go saying, "why would they settle if they weren't responsible for damages?" Why would they fight against their customers? They settled to make their customers happy, and took further actions to make sure it doesn't happen again. Closing statements anyone?

I expect the same response for this bending issue. Apple will replace/refund the devices that are bent but not over stressed to keep customers happy. But after a bout of that, they won't leave any reason for people to continue getting replacements.

Last edited:

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah, its a SETTLEMENT not a conviction. Apple wasn't found guilty of anything. If anything 3M is at fault but I doubt that. They design their water indicator specifically for electronic devices which they state requires liquid water to change color and indicate water damage. Apple did not break any of their warranty contracts and they have clearly stated environmental operation requirements for their devices. And before you go saying, "why would they settle if they weren't guilty?" Why would they fight against their customers? They settled to make their customers happy, and took further actions to make sure it doesn't happen again. Closing statements anyone?

That's exactly the point, it took a lawyer before Apple did right by it customers. Before that point, they wanted to brush it off and screw their customers.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Yeah, its a SETTLEMENT not a conviction. Apple wasn't found guilty of anything. If anything 3M is at fault but I doubt that. They design their water indicator specifically for electronic devices which they state requires liquid water to change color and indicate water damage. Apple did not break any of their warranty contracts and they have clearly stated environmental operation requirements for their devices. And before you go saying, "why would they settle if they weren't guilty?" Why would they fight against their customers? They settled to make their customers happy, and took further actions to make sure it doesn't happen again. Closing statements anyone?

I expect the same response for this bending issue. Apple will replace/refund the devices that are bent but not over stressed to keep customers happy. But after a bout of that, they won't leave any reason for people to continue getting replacements.

Did you even read the article?

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/30/liquid-damage-settlement-checks/

3M admitted the sensors were faulty and Apple even made changes to add physical inspection before denying coverage, but they made the people who were forced to pay out of pocket go to court to get their money back.

Oh, and it was civil court, so I'm not sure wtf you're bringing up 'convictions' for. The settlement came 4 years after they were made aware of the flaw in the sensor and a year and a half after the suit was filed. Their hand was forced and they put off doing the right thing until it was clear they couldn't win.

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Did you even read the article?

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/30/liquid-damage-settlement-checks/

3M admitted the sensors were faulty and Apple even made changes to add physical inspection before denying coverage, but they made the people who were forced to pay out of pocket go to court to get their money back.

Oh, and it was civil court, so I'm not sure wtf you're bringing up 'convictions' for. The settlement came 4 years after they were made aware of the flaw in the sensor and a year and a half after the suit was filed. Their hand was forced and they put off doing the right thing until it was clear they couldn't win.

Did you read the article? No one said the sensors were faulty or flawed, they only said the sensors could turn slightly pink in high humidity. You can look for yourself, its in the company specs for the sensor. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtlx&2MxfaEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--
I doubt anyone mistook that shade of pink as water damage, come on. I've been saying it over and over, people just break their stuff and go crying to the company to replace it. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple starts putting sensors in their devices that measure how much force someone put on it to bend it. Personally all my devices have lasted perfectly fine because I take care of them, and when the microphone dies or the power button stops working, Apple replaces it for me because those are normal failures that happened without me subjecting my device to water or extreme forces. One of the cases said the guy ran with his device in a plastic bag, and he expected his sweat or rain not to get in it and never thought that the bag would direct condensation to his device its just not smart and definitely not the company's fault.

Last edited:

orangesauce

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I show people my phone and they ask me if it bends. I hold it up and try to bend it for them, nothing happens. They are obviously relieved.

Everyone that has one should try it and then show anyone that asks. Google Astroturfers

raviluke

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
Fix what? Gullibility? Because the phones aren't broken.
Thank god mine hasn't bent yet. The only complaint I have is with iOS 8. I was expecting much more but little bits and pieces of upgrades they put are really not going to cut it. My brother bought HTC M8 and playing around with that and then my 6+, there is a big noticeable gap. I mean, I paid $1000+ for my phone so I at least expect it compete with a $500 M8. Honestly I think I'm getting more attracted to shift to Android. And this is coming from a 5+ year iPhone user.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Thank god mine hasn't bent yet. The only complaint I have is with iOS 8. I was expecting much more but little bits and pieces of upgrades they put are really not going to cut it. My brother bought HTC M8 and playing around with that and then my 6+, there is a big noticeable gap. I mean, I paid $1000+ for my phone so I at least expect it compete with a $500 M8. Honestly I think I'm getting more attracted to shift to Android. And this is coming from a 5+ year iPhone user.

Maybe you should go ahead and switch.

As far as thanking God that your phone hasn't bent yet, have you tried to bend it yet? No? That's why it isn't bent. God didn't have anything to do with it.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

Wait for the developers to catch up. The main enhancements in iOS 8 rely on the Developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.