Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I agree I think push is supposed to use less battery than fetch (at least if you get a moderate amount of emails cd fetching every 15 min) .. But since I can't push with gmail and the apple Mail app I'm not sure what the best option is for those of us using gmail

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Fetch saves more battery then Push absolutely, and I use the app because I dont care for Push(instant email) or Fetch(fetching your email on a timer instead of instant email)

I use the gmail app to manually check my email whenever I use the app, this is how I use my email, I dont need to get anything up to date instantly(depends how you use your email, your priorities in life etc, whether you need it for work or etc), I just go to the app every now and then and check manually(saves most battery)

So if you don't need email instantly, for your phone to be constantly checking for emails, constantly updating, then turning off Push saves alot of battery

Push saves more

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I was happily surprised by turning off wifi my iPhone 6 battery is lasting much longer. I have poor wifi signal at my office so that was probably draining my battery faster I think. I read that a weak wifi signal can lead to faster battery drain. I still have an unlimited plan so I usually don't need wifi much.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I don't think that's necessarily true. For many usage scenarios, push uses less battery than fetch. For example, if you don't get many emails, push isn't using any battery, but fetch is using your phone every 15 minutes or whatever even if there are no mails to download.

No... Push uses more battery then Fetch, because if you have it on Push, it is constantly pinging/queing the email server checking for new emails, where as Fetch checks every x amount of minutes

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
No... Push uses more battery then Fetch, because if you have it on Push, it is constantly pinging/queing the email server checking for new emails, where as Fetch checks every x amount of minutes

According to this Not necessarily.

http://networkingexchangeblog.att.com/enterprise-business/push-or-poll-how-email-setup-can-save-your-battery-life/

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014

fetch uses more battery than push how is this not obvious?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012

Completely wrong, bro. The whole point of push is that it's NOT constantly pinging anything.... It's kind of like sms, the server contacts your phone when something arrives, not the other way around.

Research stuff before posting misinformation.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
iOS has a built in timer that turns off Wifi after l 30 minutes and if no running app is using it. So if your phone is locked and not streaming anything, the wifi radios will turn off after 30 minutes.

Source: iPhone app programming guide, page 110.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Completely wrong, bro. The whole point of push is that it's NOT constantly pinging anything.... It's kind of like sms, the server contacts your phone when something arrives, not the other way around.

Push systems actually work by the client device announcing their presence to the server to register , and then every so often , the touch base more frequently than once every 15 minutes. Like a heartbeat and this increased frequency of announcements is what results in higher battery draw over fetch,

This is common sense, For people who get a good amount of emails everyday plus with the some spam that always hits your inbox, Push obviously uses more battery; espcially for people who use email alot and get alot of emails in and out everyday, and also for people who need emails instantly

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Wouldn't the heartbeat be much lower battery usage than an email check? So if you get 1 email per hour what's better?

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I think the concept of push was that your phone wasn't constantly or even regularly contacting your mail server to check for emails but rather a notification would be sent to your phone whenever you got an email ... So if you get no emails for a day ... Very little to no power used whereas with fetch you would have initiated a connection to the mail server 24-96 times in that day.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
So them repeating a myth makes it true?

So I am trying this out now, and it looks like I might be getting more battery life than I was before, unless if its 8.0.2 thats doing some magic. I think Fant has got it right.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I dunno, I mean, my 5S got to 1% battery by 7pm, I'm going to bed at 11-12 with 40%, same usage, id say that pretty good

I've noticed this as well. On my last charge, i "only" got 8 hours of use... which i would think is not too great (even though it's 2 hours more than my 5s got)... since i thought we should be getting 9-10 hours. But i just went 48 hours without a charge. Used it two full work days. Yet it says 8 hours use. So question: Is iOS 8 calculating usage time differently, resulting in lower usage numbers? I say this because i used my phone about the normal amount each of the last two days... but the amount of "use" time it says i had was a lot lower than normal.

----------

I don't think that's necessarily true. For many usage scenarios, push uses less battery than fetch. For example, if you don't get many emails, push isn't using any battery, but fetch is using your phone every 15 minutes or whatever even if there are no mails to download.

I have read that Push email is essentially the same as Fetch mail with a retrieve schedule of every second. Where with Fetch you can choose, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. So it is checking mail much more frequently. Whether this is exactly accurate or true i do not know... but every single place i have read all say that Push uses more energy than Fetch.

----------

Don't be so quick to bash him. As someone who IS researching this subject, there is a great deal of conflicting information. Best conclusion that I've come to is that the answer is.... it depends. Depends on your usage pattern, the frequency of when your emails arrive, etc.
At any rate, don't assume that because he has a different opinion than yours he has not researched. Because i can assure you that for every article that you can link me to that agrees with your opinion, i can match you with an article saying the opposite.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Wouldn't the best approach be sending it to fetch and then choosing manually. I would think this would use the least amount of battery because it's only looking for email when you choose to.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Wouldn't the best approach be sending it to fetch and then choosing manually. I would think this would use the least amount of battery because it's only looking for email when you choose to.

Well, wouldn't this be entirely subjective? As in... depends totally on how often you end up checking your email? If you never check your email, you are correct. But i would think whether you are correct depends entirely on how often you check your email.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Well, wouldn't this be entirely subjective? As in... depends totally on how often you end up checking your email? If you never check your email, you are correct. But i would think whether you are correct depends entirely on how often you check your email.

Good point.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Has anyone gotten 10 hours battery life on their iphone 6 from one charge ? Apple's page on the iphone 6 posts 11 hours on wifi, 10 hours on LTE . Has anyone else gotten something close to this ? Most I've gotten was 7 hours..
What carrier are you on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.