Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Weekly Photo Contest: October 2nd - October 9th

Welcome to this week's photo contest thread!

Theme: Backlit

Half-challenge/half-theme. Don't mind what the subject is but I am looking for creative uses of backlight! Backlighting is when the subject has a nice rim separating it from the background. If you want some examples feel free to PM me.

I'm a sucker for people shots so if you want a slightly better chance of winning you might want to consider that!

I tend to spend far too long critiquing other peoples shots so if you are keen to get some thoughts on your shot please do submit!

Rules:

1. Be creative and have fun.

2. Please submit only one photo per contest.

3. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

4. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

5. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner - me) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

6. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

*To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/580184/*

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I don't generally backlight people shots, but I love the effect of backlighting transparent objects.

bottles.jpg

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Backlit house.

Not even a proper "sunset" shot - I just loved the lighting right then. The bright, just-starting-to-tint clouds, the blue sky behind, the darkness of the foreground. My good camera went missing last week, so this was just an iPhone shot (cropped to remove some visual distraction in the foreground.)

And now I realize the one that's still on my iPhone was the HDR one, not the even more starkly contrasted one with the deeper blues in the sky... Must have synced it then deleted it. I'll replace the picture when I get home tonight.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I was wondering if I'd have anything for this contest...and then there it was in front of me. Some early morning fishing at the campsite today.

p423662681-5.jpg

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
The last few weeks have been somewhat unpredictable in the Parkin household, with barely a moment to use the camera. So back to the archives - a floating village in Cambodia - the construction in the centre is a floating basketball court.

Floating Village by Parkin Pig, on Flickr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.