Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Here's a sneak peak of Android L on the GS5. Looks really nice. Can't wait to get this on the Note 4.

http://youtu.be/2yBLqnokjPM

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Wow, that's pretty atrocious. The colors don't match and the colors are just strange. They really need to overhaul the whole UI instead of just constantly adding to it.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Scamscum finds a way to screw up the beautiful Material Design :rolleyes:

Android 5.0 Lollipop, with the new 'Material Design' language is the most beautiful and artistic version of Android to date. Really cool style, and awesome animations, etc... and Samsung still has their godawful Touchwiz murdering it :mad:

Did Samsung even follow what Google wants in Material Design ? Because the Nexus stock version of 5.0 "L" does not look like this. The stock "L" on a Nexus looks one million times better, and actually vastly different and way way way better.

The Galaxy S5 and Note 4 are awesome hardware phones, great screens, good design, put man Touchwiz just sucks so bad. Those same phones running stock Android 5.0 Lollipop would rock :cool:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm, I'm not seeing that big of a difference with current TW/KK. Why does everyone waste so much god awful time and effort on changing fonts and colors? Who freakin cares what colors or fonts are there when you change your settings, please work on stuff that is worthwhile like improving Hangouts functionality and stuff like that.

The other thing I see that I'm afraid of is too many white backgrounds. Hey Google/Samsung/Apple PEOPLE FREAKIN USE THEIR PHONES IN THE DARK!! In all fairness I have to assume Google has a way to change to a dark background, no way in hell they would be as stupid as Apple and leave those blinding white backgrounds as the only way to view the UI.

Overall Meh. Give me functionality, work on stuff behind the scenes, etc. I'm personally pretty happy with how KK looks.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Samsung has the worst software designers and engineers in the world.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Remember, you don't have to download it if it comes out as an update for your device. Or, use a 3rd party launcher.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Remember, you don't have to download it if it comes out as an update for your device. Or, use a 3rd party launcher.

3rd party launcher DOES NOT eliminate the OS! It's merely a layer on top of the OS. And that "you don't have to download it..." argument is weak. That's like the people who say, "You don't like the decisions the U.S. government is making? FINE! Then leave."

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Samsung has the worst software designers and engineers in the world.

Sigh. I do wish that Samsung would just hire a competent design team with good taste. How hard can it be?? It certainly wouldn't hurt their business...

Santa plz.

----------

3rd party launcher DOES NOT eliminate the OS! It's merely a layer on top of the OS. And that "you don't have to download it..." argument is weak. That's like the people who say, "You don't like the decisions the U.S. government is making? FINE! Then leave."

I have to agree. While a 3d party launcher can make TouchWiz at least bearable in terms of the look of the home screen and app drawer functionality, it will still rear its ugly head in the settings and notification shade. And I'm still struggling to make my Note 2 lock screen look acceptable while maintaing a code lock.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I really should consider a Nexus 6 for my next phone. I already ruled out the iPhone 6/plus and was thinking the Note 4 would be the one. But I am getting tired of TW.

I have a Note 2 running about as pure android as I can get. But it is still not pure. The roms always seem to have "something" added that is not pure android so I never know, should something not work right, if it is something I did, the app did, or the rom did--and that is not even bringing the kernel into the equation.

Personally, I think pure android is ready for more than just the main Google phone every year--ready as in for the masses. When I got a Nexus 4, two years ago, it was nearly ready. But you had to do a lot to get it up to speed. That is not the case so much anymore.

Touchwiz is the other extreme. Even setting default apps gets on my nerve. I select the app I want, tell it use it always, and that is still not good enough: it insists on telling me where in settings I can configure default apps. Every. Freaking. Time.

Finally, if the goal of the Nexus line is to have both pure android AND be inexpensive, great. But that usually means cutting corners on hardware. I would like a high-end pure android phone as a choice too.

Michael

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Finally, if the goal of the Nexus line is to have both pure android AND be inexpensive, great. But that usually means cutting corners on hardware. I would like a high-end pure android phone as a choice too.

/cheer Wohoo, I'm not the only one!

My hopes are low at the moment, GPE seems dead, android silver rumors have been too quiet.

posted from my GS4 GPE ;)
-stock android w/ fast updates
-sd card
-ir blaster
-removable battery
-'goodish' camera

nobody else offers this :(

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Hmm, I'm not seeing that big of a difference with current TW/KK. Why does everyone waste so much god awful time and effort on changing fonts and colors? Who freakin cares what colors or fonts are there when you change your settings, please work on stuff that is worthwhile like improving Hangouts functionality and stuff like that.

The other thing I see that I'm afraid of is too many white backgrounds. Hey Google/Samsung/Apple PEOPLE FREAKIN USE THEIR PHONES IN THE DARK!! In all fairness I have to assume Google has a way to change to a dark background, no way in hell they would be as stupid as Apple and leave those blinding white backgrounds as the only way to view the UI.

Overall Meh. Give me functionality, work on stuff behind the scenes, etc. I'm personally pretty happy with how KK looks.

I'm on a complete different boat: I always preferred white backgrounds to black ones.. I just like bright menus it's not that "depressing" and try to use black ones in the sunlight. ;)

The using it in the dark is a fair point though.. I like how Alien Blue implemented a simple and fast way to change between dark and white background. Guess we will see something like this in iOS 9 or later... :roll eyes:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm on a complete different boat: I always preferred white backgrounds to black ones.. I just like bright menus it's not that "depressing" and try to use black ones in the sunlight. ;)

The using it in the dark is a fair point though.. I like how Alien Blue implemented a simple and fast way to change between dark and white background. Guess we will see something like this in iOS 9 or later... :roll eyes:

Lol, I hear ya, the black can get depressing. Although I disagree, using black menus in sunlight isn't an issue as long as it's light colored text. But I think we can both agree that there simply needs to be a way to have a white theme AND a dark theme, let us have the choice.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Lol, I hear ya, the black can get depressing. Although I disagree, using black menus in sunlight isn't an issue as long as it's light colored text. But I think we can both agree that there simply needs to be a way to have a white theme AND a dark theme, let us have the choice.

It's ok in the sunlight but the reflections do irritate..

Absolutely and Apple making a dark mode in Mac OS is quite promising, but they tend to be horribly slow with such things.. (Up next in Music.app for example)

But it would be ok if certain apps (which rely on mostly bright backgrounds) just offer the functionality on any mobile platform.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
/cheer Wohoo, I'm not the only one!

My hopes are low at the moment, GPE seems dead, android silver rumors have been too quiet.

posted from my GS4 GPE ;)
-stock android w/ fast updates
-sd card
-ir blaster
-removable battery
-'goodish' camera

nobody else offers this :(

Add me to the list.

After the S3, S4, and Note 3, I'm so sick or TW. I switched to S4 GPE but it's running a bit long in tooth. I tried the Sony Ultra Z GPE but selling it because it's too big. Trying the LG G3 right now. Really wish there was a GPE for it. Nexus seems to be gimped and I'm willing to pay for top of the line. Where to go?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I couldn't even watch the entire clip b.c touch wiz was so bad. Moto, one plus, sony, and nexus phones are the only ones that exist in my brain.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Their color schemes and graphics/UI are pretty bad.. If/when I pick up the Note 4, a little nova prime and replacing most of Samsungs apps with Googles apps should help the user experience. Some things like the phone app and settings can't be fixed but I can live with it.

If I can handle touchwiz on the Note 2, shouldn't be an issue with the Note 4.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Why people use differend kind of launchers? Maybe because the ui - the layer on top of the OS? There will be some TW features still, but anyway... the ui is still much differend with another launcher.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.