Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is the real reason it has been delayed so long. I read an article a while back claiming that the cost to switch to EMV cards in the US was around $8 BILLION. Most of that cost is on the merchants, who have to replace their POS terminals.

October, 2015, is the "deadline". However, it's not an "ease", it's a "shove". Merchants are being told: "after that, you can accept a mag-stripe card if you want. But, you'll have to eat any fraud".

----------

Are your credit cards from Wells Fargo?

If so, I have some bad news: while there is a PIN in the chip, the signature requirement has "priority". The chip has some way to specify this to the terminal. So, it will require a signature if there's a way to capture it, and only fall back to a PIN if it's an unattended device.

This is supposed to work in things like unattended gas pumps in Europe. However, I can attest that it doesn't, at least not in Italy. We requested replacement Wells Fargo cards with EMV chips specifically for this purpose. In the end, I had to scrounge around for cash -- fortunately, we were mid-point in our trip and still had some Euros.

Maybe you have had better luck, or they will figure it out before widespread rollout in the US.

I don't know why US banks are sticking with the signature. I guess it's because they think consumers used to specifying a PIN for a debit card will get confused if it's required for a credit card.

This was true back then but now, all major stores have POS terminals that can read the chip (with only Walmart actually having them turned on right now).

It's now just a matter of software. All major POS software including IBM 4690, NCR, etc support it via optional add on "modules" to their systems, with Walmart using the 4690 add on, and I know it works well, as I take customers with chips daily.

Off topic, but I believe card readers in the US are much nicer than those in Europe, we have nice large color touch screens etc while Europe still has ancient looking terminals. Of course both types take chips just fine.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Off topic, but I believe card readers in the US are much nicer than those in Europe, we have nice large color touch screens etc while Europe still has ancient looking terminals. Of course both types take chips just fine.

What I would like to see in the US: the ubiquitous wireless card readers (and keypad, and receipt printer) that I saw in Europe and Brazil:

41zsHuF5YBL._SY300_.jpg

They use the cell phone network. You don't have to hand your card to the waiter: they bring the entire device to your table.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What I would like to see in the US: the ubiquitous wireless card readers (and keypad, and receipt printer) that I saw in Europe and Brazil:

They use the cell phone network. You don't have to hand your card to the waiter: they bring the entire device to your table.

Go to any Chili's, they have the Ziosk system to take your card, nice large color touch screens. I'm not sure how Chip & PIN would be handled though again, probably through some sort of PIN pad add on. They also print receipts right from the Ziosk device.

Also don't forget about Apple Stores, they do just that. No receipt printer though, those are underneath the tables.

Every Chip & Sig terminal can process Chip & PIN, and vice versa.

I see every B&M store ready for this transition, but restaurants and gas stations seem to be taking their sweet time.

BaBaBananas

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
What percentage do the card terminals at, say Walmart, take? 1.7% from amazon seems really fair.

Seems really fair until you read the fine print...

Sign up by October 31, 2014 to lock in this special rate through December 31, 2015. Pay 2.5% beginning January 1, 2016. Rates apply to all major credit and debit cards.

So it's just a gimmick to try and get people to switch but as far as I can tell they don't do anything better than the competition.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
This was true back then but now, all major stores have POS terminals that can read the chip (with only Walmart actually having them turned on right now).

It's now just a matter of software. All major POS software including IBM 4690, NCR, etc support it via optional add on "modules" to their systems, with Walmart using the 4690 add on, and I know it works well, as I take customers with chips daily.

We have touchscreens here in the UK, and we also have glorious self service terminals (alongside regular checkouts with a cashier) - they are great for shorter queues! We've had these for about a decade.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/1/11/1326306365098/Self-service-checkout--007.jpg]Helps reduce queues

Checkout screen

Terminals such as these can be found in most supermarkets, many health and beauty stores, newsagents and train stations. The whole of the London Underground will be going ticket office free soon. Self checkout is possible due to chip and pin technology (no need for someone to verify the signature).

All this talk about the cost of change to new terminals sounds like banks and businesses dragging their feet - surely the cost due to fraud over a decade (how long the UK has been chip and pin, other parts of Europe for longer) outweighs the estimated $8billion someone has quoted earlier in this thread for changing the terminals to chip and pin. I've no inclination to check facts on this, I just think it is crazy the US still hasn't gone chip and pin.

As for worrying about confusion between paying by credit card and debit card due to both using chip and pin - err, no! I've never known ANYONE to have that problem.

keepingup

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
price war I hope

I use square reader in my solo medical practice. The fees add up to thousands a year via Square Reader. So I am going to use the Amazon reader until 12/15 and will save a lot of money by doing so. I am hoping that by then a sort of price war will have brought the fees down to earth. I concur with some of the anti-amazon wrath, but please consider the gouging of small businesses and professional practices.

rluvbeach

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
Boynton Beach, FL
How long is Amazon going to hold on to your money with this?

I have bank of america mobile pay for my small business and the funds are in my account the next business day (they charge 2.35% plus $.15 per transaction). i can call their customer service (US based) 24/7 and get help with my account if needed

square, pay pal like to hold on to your money for several days. all customer service is email based, i found to be very slow.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
my US VISA card has a chip and a pin :confused:

Now that we have it, people will not believe we have it. People don't understand that this transition will take time.

Wells and USAA also confirmed that Chip and PIN DEBIT cards will be out beginning of 2015, DEBIT, which means it'll HAVE to have a PIN, not just Chip and Sig like CCs

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
Is it just em or does the UI design look kind of lazy in this?

Don't know about the design, but this app is a miraculous gift to merchants. Two hours work at $45/hr results in a total charge to the customer of $145.00! Woot! Sign me up to trim trees!

keepingup

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
aw amazon…so much you didn't think of

Upadate: reader arrived and it took THREE calls two hours apart to get verified, to get linked to my bank and to get a test swipe going. I have the sense that Amazon rushed to market without having time to set up technical specs carefully, to train support and to manufacture a quality plug-in. My favorite conversation was when tech support said they had not been given any devices to look at so could I please describe it. They also didn't know that you have to tap a big orange button that says "Add to Sale" in order to process a swipe. The final problem for me was that the bulky plug-in won't snap into my iPad with the cover on. The Square Reader fits nicely with cover on. It fits the iPhone with the cover on fine. So I guess I will delete the cost of a new iPad cover from the profits I am dreaming of by using amazon's device rather than Square Reader.

I'm still determined to try it and try to save some of my hard earned dollars but I sure do think Amazon could have done better.

Last edited:

Double Eagle

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Central Kansas
Reader arrived yesterday. Downloaded app to my iPhone 5. Immediately got the following message:

We're sorry
Amazon Local Register is not
supported on your device.​

I didn't realize I was going to be a beta tester.

The IoT Guy

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
NFC is DOA in the U.S.

I used to be an Enterprise IT techie before moving into the ales/marketing side of the business. I've also owned an RFID business for the past eight years and consider myself pretty tech savvy. More importantly I have been a consumer for...well, a pretty long time.

I recently posted a blog entry at http://theiotguy.com/?p=111 that covers my view of NFC in the U.S. market. In short, there is no demand and limited value to the people who will foot the bill; primarily retailers and to a lesser degree, consumers. It add cost and complexity and (assuming the retailer has the hardware operational) actually takes longer to process than a standard mag strip card transaction because very few people understand how it works.

I would appreciate it if you could take a look at my blog and comment. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.