Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sajjadbuet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
On top of being GSM unlocked, it also worked with Verizon, both LTE and CDMA.

Jordy145

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Awesome to hear! I'm waiting on my number to be ported over, then I'll start using mine!

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
On top of being GSM unlocked, it also worked with Verizon, both LTE and CDMA.

Just curious how did you get the CDMA part to work? Did you simply insert the SIM card or did you have to register via Verizon (or the carrier's) website (I'm assuming you mean Verizon when you say CDMA)?

I know for CDMA you used to have to register the phone via Verizon website in order to get it to work, since there is no SIM card for CDMA registering your phone was always necessary.

sajjadbuet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Just curious how did you get the CDMA part to work? Did you simply insert the SIM card or did you have to register via Verizon (or the carrier's) website (I'm assuming you mean Verizon when you say CDMA)?

I know for CDMA you used to have to register the phone via Verizon website in order to get it to work, since there is no SIM card for CDMA registering your phone was always necessary.
Just inserted a sim and disabled LTE.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

verizon has sim cards?? huh??
Verizon has had SIM cards since they introduced LTE. On LTE phones, they use the SIM to authenticate on both CDMA and LTE networks.

Since the CDMA radio is disabled, what exactly did you do?
Except it doesn't seem like the CDMA radio is disabled on the 6 and 6 Plus. My AT&T locked iPhone 6 Plus shows both IMEI and MEID.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The latter. Verizon will eventually become LTE only, but probably not for another few years.

Their current schedule for that is some time in 2021:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-wireless-sunset-2g-and-3g-cdma-networks-2021/2012-10-10

Sounds like a long time, but the reason for such a long delay is that Verizon has a LOT of embedded device customers. GM being one of them. Every OnStar-equipped vehicle prior to 2014 is equipped with a Verizon non-LTE cellular module.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.