Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Is ios8 likely to slow down iPad Air, ignoring bugs that can be fixed? Is it capable of running ios8 as smoothly as it did ios7?

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
It's running fantastic on my Air. Safari is slow laggy. And gestures in iMessages sometimes not working. But otherwise I love it.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I'm sure they are fixable. They worked fine in iOS 7. My hardware hasn't changed. So probably an 8.0.1 already in the works.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
If it was not for handoff i would have taken my iPad air backdown to iOS 7, i use Airplay a lot and I'm having to use my iPhone more for it because the iPad keeps disconnecting and cutting out. But at the same time i think its unfair to compare 8.0 to 7.13 as iOS 7 has become quite polished.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
iOS 8 will be slower no doubt. Arstechnica had an article comparing app opening, transition times for various iDevices on iOS 7 and iOS 8. Every new generation slows down older devices by fractions of a second and gets progressively worse wi subsequent iOS generations which can be almost a second or two slower for every task.

Some people are sensitive to that and notice it, others do not. If you are thinking of upgrading, there are people on YouTube who run side by side comparison running apps, scrolling etc. take a look at those and decide for yourself.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
You buy an iOS device and you leave it alone. It will never be better than when you took it out of the box. Don't fall into the Apple update trap. That's how they mess up your device.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Mine reboots after 1-2 days with kernel panic.

It is abundantly obvious that almost no one else is experiencing kernel panics in iOS 8, so you should probably call a AppleCare for technical assistance, I'm sure they will be very excited to help you. :rolleyes:

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
It is abundantly obvious that almost no one else is experiencing kernel panics in iOS 8, so you should probably call a AppleCare for technical assistance, I'm sure they will be very excited to help you. :rolleyes:

Did that and AppleCare has not offered any help other than asking me to temporarily downgrade to 7.1.2 (They are aware of the reboot issue)

We don't have Apple Stores in my country, yet. So we do not get world class service Apple is known for. Even if they take my iPad in, I will get replacement only after 10 days.

By the way, even one of my friend's iPad Air had a kernel panic and rebooted itself. He said it happened after 2 days of heavy Safari use. I am pretty sure that sooner, many people will find out that this is a real problem.

There are few isolated posts about spontaneous reboot on this forum as well. Just that they have not received enough attention.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Did that and AppleCare has not offered any help other than asking me to temporarily downgrade to 7.1.2 (They are aware of the reboot issue)
That would not happen. Apple does not support downgrading software on iOS to previous versions.

What they would ask you to do is restore your iPad to the factory settings using iTunes, and then set it up as a new iPad without restoring from any kind of backup. There is some sort of software issue/conflict/corruption on your iPad, the only way to fix it will be to restore to factory settings. Downgrading back to iOS 7 would also possibly fix it, but this is a problem that just isn't happening with most iOS 8 users.

We don't have Apple Stores in my country, yet. So we do not get world class service Apple is known for. Even if they take my iPad in, I will get replacement only after 10 days.
There's no need to replace a device for software issues. You'd restore the new device from your backup and the same exact issue would come back.

By the way, even one of my friend's iPad Air had a kernel panic and rebooted itself. He said it happened after 2 days of heavy Safari use. I am pretty sure that sooner, many people will find out that this is a real problem.

There are few isolated posts about spontaneous reboot on this forum as well. Just that they have not received enough attention.
There are many millions of iOS 8 users. There will be posts about kernel panics no matter what. But because the posts are so few, and so scattered and rare, it shows that it's not a problem with the iOS 8 software, it's some app, some website, or some other sort of issue unique to your device.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Mine reboots after 1-2 days with kernel panic.

My iPad Air has been doing this the past few weeks on iOS 7. So far since upgrading (and restoring my data from backup) this has not happened. Obviously we are working with a smaller sample size, but it has been interesting to see thus far.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Many of the apps I use are running slow or crashing now.
Safari is worse than ever, since I just end up with a blank white tab instead of the tabs reloading. They somehow managed to make it worse.

DarthTater

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Sunny Southern Idaho
Everything works fine on mine, except...

If I'm connected to 5GHz WiFi, it kind of loses the connection. It doesn't actually disconnect, but the speed drops to zero. If it's a 2.4GHz connection, there's no problem.

I have both at home and at work and it happens at both places.

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Everything works fine on mine, except...

If I'm connected to 5GHz WiFi, it kind of loses the connection. It doesn't actually disconnect, but the speed drops to zero. If it's a 2.4GHz connection, there's no problem.

I have both at home and at work and it happens at both places.

I noticed the exact same here. On 5ghz my wifi just drops (even though it appears connected). Switching to 2.4 has resolved my dropped connectivity issue altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.