Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manny72

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
I'm beginning to think Starfyre works for Samsung LOL.
I'm not even on here a lot but every time I'm on you're Posting another Media driven issue. I'm not a Apple Fanboy I just like it because it works for me but if I was as worried as you I would just return the Phones. Try the new HTC phones they look pretty nice...

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Just another crazy who uses their phone without a case and then complains when something happens to it. True or not... PUT A CASE ON YOUR DEVICE! Even a clear plastic one would help. I for one think all these stories are made up anyway.

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Just another crazy who uses their phone without a case and then complains when something happens to it. True or not... PUT A CASE ON YOUR DEVICE! Even a clear plastic one would help. I for one think all these stories are made up anyway.

Stupid argument.

If you MUST buy a case then just go ahead and make the phone look like one of those ugly indestructible models. Don't try to distinguish yourself from the "plastic crap" Android phones and then make a phone that requires a case.

I'm tired of the buy a case, buy a screen protector responses. You should be able to use the device as intended in the form it is offered.

Mobile electronics should be built to be MOBILE, to handle regular daily wear and tear. It should be able to survive a few minor accidents. Stop making excuses just because you like something. Every phone and every OS has pros/cons. Use them all before you form an "opinion".

I need Nokia Lumia build quality with android freedom and Apple fluidity/imessage.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I guess it's easier to bend under heat.

So things that we know:

1) Stay away from skinny jeans

2) Use only in cold weather

3) Don't charge it upside down against the wall

Heat? What planet do we live on , Titan? Aluminum doesn't start gettint malleable until around 400 degrees, and he left it on charge overnight without using it, it isnt gonna really heat up if your not using the phone while its charging, it will only heat up if you are using the phone while charging, something BS about this story

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
I don't believe the story, just like I don't believe much of what I read on the internet.

My phone does not get hot when charging.

More than likely someone stepped/leaned on his phone & doesn't want to fess up, therefore he thinks it got that way on its own.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If it really happened the way he said it did. Then somebody can easily re-create this by using a time lapse camera and let the phone charge overnight. This would be a good one for Lou since he likes to bend iPhone 6 Plus.

Note: Good thing he didn't have it hanging half off the nightstand, hahahahaha

That is an excellent idea. I'm sorry, but there has to be more to this. If the phone truly heated up to the point that it would bend it's then there would be all kinds of heat damage to the screen.

Stupid argument.

If you MUST buy a case then just go ahead and make the phone look like one of those ugly indestructible models. Don't try to distinguish yourself from the "plastic crap" Android phones and then make a phone that requires a case.

I'm tired of the buy a case, buy a screen protector responses. You should be able to use the device as intended in the form it is offered.

Mobile electronics should be built to be MOBILE, to handle regular daily wear and tear. It should be able to survive a few minor accidents. Stop making excuses just because you like something. Every phone and every OS has pros/cons. Use them all before you form an "opinion".

I need Nokia Lumia build quality with android freedom and Apple fluidity/imessage.

FINALLY! Thank you! I do realized that Apple makes premium products that are more delicate than many others, and I can live with that, but it shouldn't be made so fragile that you need to keep it in a tank!

Do we put cases on our cars? Our kids? No. I don't understand why I should have to buy a device, especially one where the "curved edges are designed to enhanced tactile feedback," and then slap a brink otter box and seal it up. It should be able to survive minor dings, a little sand, or a small drop without MAJOR damage and if it can't, well, that's Apple's fault.

These devices aren't made to be rested on a pillow all day. I knew a guy that had a thick antiglare screen protector on his white 4S. It even had a whit to and bottom and an exact see thought area for the screen. He put that on and then put it in a life proof case. I used it, it was ridiculous! You had to push don't to the point of finger discomfort for the screen to register input because there were so many layers of plastic in the way. If I have to do that then I'll just buy a flip phone.

I will make one disclaimer. I do like Apple's leather case, but not for the production as much as the feel.

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
My phone doesn't get hot while charging either. Also, I run this alarm clock app while charging, while putting it face down underneath my pillow (it tracks movement & then gives you data on how well or not you slept). The phone is still straight as could be. I call BS on this story.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Yes, but what they didn't say in the article is that it was THIS GUY! I'm betting he had a nightmare and sleep-bent the phone.

magneto1.jpg

fornowagain

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Newtons Laws say this is ********
Not necessarily, metals can warp on their own accord. Maybe some of this bending is a problem from quality control in heat treatment. Aluminum can move from internal stresses released from machining solid billets or stress from localised over-heating. The process is stress relieving, various levels up to full anneal.
It's also worth noting annealed aluminum is 'very' soft until age (precipitation) hardened correctly. I've no idea on the alloy grade used or the manufacturing process, heat treatment cycle, or if any used on the 6 chassis. Just putting it out there for something to consider.

zana

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
He should try to flip the charging cable connector the other way and see if it bends back the next night.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Can somebody please enlighten me what the benefit is of charging a phone upside down against a wall? :S

Seriously? I've done it numerous times while traveling. Ever been to an airport? I could never count the number of phones and iPads I've seen propped up against a wall exactly like that while charging in outlets along the wall.

I am an aircraft ground engineer, I practically live at the airport and I have NEVER seen something like this.

Even so, if I would be at the airport charging my phone, I would be, you know, holding it so no one steals it.

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Can somebody please enlighten me what the benefit is of charging a phone upside down against a wall? :S

I am an aircraft ground engineer, I practically live at the airport and I have NEVER seen something like this.

Even so, if I would be at the airport charging my phone, I would be, you know, holding it so no one steals it.

I have seen people charging there phones in this manner at airports. That doesn't matter of course. You can charge the phone in any position you so choose. Who knows what happened to that phone. We certainly aren't going to figure it out here.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I'm beginning to think Starfyre works for Samsung LOL.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19996386/

You know what would be a weird conspiracy theory since you mention Samsung.... if Samsung paid for this article to be written and paid the developer for the testimony... that would be scary.

I'll be happy to
[/COLOR]

Thank you! :)

I would think the article was bogus if it were not for the guy being a developer. Developers are smart enough to know what they are doing with their phones no?

----------

I have seen people charging there phones in this manner at airports. That doesn't matter of course. You can charge the phone in any position you so choose. Who knows what happened to that phone. We certainly aren't going to figure it out here.

From what I've seen at local airports, the charging stations are usually rounded and don't have the flat wall for the phone to lean on.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Stupid argument.

To be honest the Aluminium that Apple goes for is all about look and they originally went with steel in iPhone 4 but moved to Aluminium because of the weight but it all comes to brushed steel or brushed aluminium or metallic look. Just look at their macbooks and all products after Steve Jobs came back. Metallic look is their way of presenting their products. if Apple REALLY wanted to focus on durability more than looks than they would have opted for the same plastic as the cases they themselves promote in their apple stores.

Apple shows off the phone and especially its looks and when the phone gets into customers hands it knows more than half will go for a case thus removing the look factor but they dont care because they have already got a customer

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
To be honest the Aluminium that Apple goes for is all about look and they originally went with steel in iPhone 4 but moved to Aluminium because of the weight but it all comes to brushed steel or brushed aluminium or metallic look. Just look at their macbooks and all products after Steve Jobs came back. Metallic look is their way of presenting their products. if Apple REALLY wanted to focus on durability more than looks than they would have opted for the same plastic as the cases they themselves promote in their apple stores.

Apple shows off the phone and especially its looks and when the phone gets into customers hands it knows more than half will go for a case thus removing the look factor but they dont care because they have already got a customer

Its not pure aluminum, its an alloy containing other metals including titanium (explains why its so light)

Last edited:

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
No different from my kid saying they don't know how that dent got on their Ipad because they didn't drop it.

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010

I'm not buying into this whole bendable theory that people are coming up with, if you bend your phone or sit on it or whatever, it's going to get damaged... any phone.

but putting an awful case on your phone is an illusion of protection. It may prevent minor scuffs on the body and what not, but if you drop it just right it'll break whether or not you have a case on it... the only difference is that case makes your phone look awful.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN

I guess you don't travel to the right places.
mathews_tongue.gif

I won't be flying again until January at this point, but I'll gladly snap some photos when I do. I've seen this so many times it's not even funny. I truly am flabbergasted that no one else seems to have seen this before. Busy gate, no seats left, and three or four people sitting on the floor with a phone/tablet leaning against the wall exactly like that.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Why even post this when its obviously complete BS? Starfyre has literally the worst posts on this board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.