Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Today I was using my iphone 6 plus and glanced over and saw my mini ipad. "Face palm" moment. The bigger screen is nice; not when another device that you already have is bigger.

Depends on how you use them. I have a Plus, an iPad Air, a MacBook Air and a MacPro. I use all of them. None gets neglected.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
After all, the new devices are just larger iPhones. Has the newness worn off for anyone yet? Have you started to let your mind wonder over to other devices yet? Be honest..... I have been playing with my S5 again.

I'm bored with all of the #-gate nonsense. Once developers start really updating their apps for the new resolutions and Apple Pay is released, we should start seeing some exciting things happening. Patience.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Great time for tech geeks with upcoming smartphone releases. My next "precious" will be in my possession in two weeks and no I am not tired of my Plus. More so of the iphone 6 which I retired. :)

And then there will be some new WPs I want to look into as well. Good times!

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Man, you guys are drinking something today. I bought the iPhone 6 because I wanted to check it out. I'm a fan of mobile technology (all operating systems - and I write a mobile tech blog). I didn't realize asking such a question would be so offensive to the Apple faithful. I'm working on an article that steamed from a conversation I had with wireless carrier representative.

You don't get it. It has nothing to do with being "the Apple faithful", at least not for me and several others here. I could not care less about Apple, or Steve Jobs, or the iPhone. The problem is with your post.

1. The idea of being "bored" with a phone -- any phone. The idea that one can be overly excited about a phone or bored with one seems illogical and childish.

2. You tell people to "be honest" in the title and in the post, in a way that suggests those who say they are not bored with the phone might be in denial. I admit this might not be your intent.

3. The reason for your being bored with the iPhone 6 is that it is just a bigger iPhone, yet you do not say the same about the S5, as if it is not just an improved S4. You offer no arguments that the S5 is vastly different from the S4. It appears the explanation is bias or preference, or some other psychological factor in you, instead of in the iPhone 6 and S5 themselves.

4. Then when you are called out on this, you say that people are "hilarious" and "drinking something". You would probably blame any negative reaction on the people being "the Apple faithful", rather than the thoughtlessness of your original post.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Man, you guys are drinking something today. I bought the iPhone 6 because I wanted to check it out. I'm a fan of mobile technology (all operating systems - and I write a mobile tech blog). I didn't realize asking such a question would be so offensive to the Apple faithful. I'm working on an article that steamed from a conversation I had with wireless carrier representative.

If your Mobile Tech Blog is anything like your OP then LOL

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I'm not bored but I've stopped thinking about it. Which I think is a *good* thing. With previous iPhones little things that bothered me kept me thinking about it - wishing the screen was just a little wider, wishing apps responded just a little snappier, wishing I could connect to my Airport Extreme at maximum speeds, wishing the battery life were just a bit longer.

Now, I think the iPhone 6 has truly gotten to the point where I wonder how it can be improved significantly. There's really nothing about it that bothers me anymore. It simply allows me to do what I want to do easily - read/write texts and e-mails, look up info, play occasional games - and not hinder me in doing those things. Soon, it'll eliminate my wallet too! Life couldn't be better technology-wise. My point of view - the less you notice the technology in your life, the better the technology.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
When I ordered i wasnn't even that excited. It's on its way from China, and i'm still not excited. I played with both at Apple Store. Are they cool? Yeah. Am i excited? Meh. I just need a new fast phone because my 4S is slowly dying. That's all. Don't get me wrong i love iPhones but i'm more excited to come home and find the dinner ready. Every evening. Now that's exciting. iPhones are just phones. I need one, but that's it.

you won't be saying the same thing when you actually own and have the device as a daily driver, the bigger screens alongside with the better cameras and performance and the smooth glass that now curves on the edges of the phone is just incredible and a joy to touch and use and see. Playing with the phones isn't gonna do it at all trust me

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
You don't get it. It has nothing to do with being "the Apple faithful", at least not for me and several others here. I could not care less about Apple, or Steve Jobs, or the iPhone. The problem is with your post.

1. The idea of being "bored" with a phone -- any phone. The idea that one can be overly excited about a phone or bored with one seems illogical and childish.

2. The reason for your being bored with the iPhone 6 is that it is just a bigger iPhone, yet you do not say the same about the S5, as if it is not just an improved S4. You offer no arguments that the S5 is vastly different from the S4. It appears the explanation is bias or preference, or some other psychological factor in you, instead of in the iPhone 6 and S5 themselves.

3. Then when you are called out on this, you say that people are "hilarious" and "drinking something". You would probably blame any negative reaction on the people being "the Apple faithful", rather than the thoughtlessness of your original post.

Are you always so thick headed. My question had NOTHING to do with the S5! I asked a question and every assumed I had some underlying dig at Apple that I was trying to get in which I wasn't. I was gauging a forum of iPhone users to see if anyone had gone back to their previous device and Apple fans are so quick to get defensive that you can't even engage in a simple conversation without attacking someone you view as counter Apple. get over yourself and stop trying to be so self-righteous. We're happy for you that you don't find contentment or entertainment in your device. Your so above it and we wish we were as cool as you!

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
you won't be saying the same thing when you actually own and have the device as a daily driver, the bigger screens alongside with the better cameras and performance and the smooth glass that now curves on the edges of the phone is just incredible and a joy to touch and use and see. Playing with the phones isn't gonna do it at all trust me

Yeah maybe. But it's still an iPhone. I know it's 100x better than my 4S, but... of course it is! I'm looking forward to using it. Arrives this Wednesday. My fiancé is a LOT more excited than me. But that's just because it's her first iPhone.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Some of the new toy feelings have worn off but the 6plus still is such a pleasure to use.

I'm really anxious for the Apple Pay update.

Bazilemac

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Are you always so thick headed. My question had NOTHING to do with the S5! I asked a question and every assumed I had some underlying dig at Apple that I was trying to get in which I wasn't. I was gauging a forum of iPhone users to see if anyone had gone back to their previous device and Apple fans are so quick to get defensive that you can't even engage in a simple conversation without attacking someone you view as counter Apple. get over yourself and stop trying to be so self-righteous. We're happy for you that you don't find contentment or entertainment in your device. Your so above it and we wish we were as cool as you!

I love this post so much because its the same exact issue i encountered a few days ago. I was a bit frustrated so maybe the title of the thread could have been better but its truly amazing to me how most people on this forum get so ******** over mentioning a competitor device. Or if you simply point out that you are unpleased with an apple device, everyone attacks you. Even after i admitted i was wrong, they still kept attacking me. It was an never ending battle, so my advice you is to just ignore them. You wont get through to them. Its either you praise apple every second or you're a troll unfortunately.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
An iPhone is an iPhone. Can't really expect not to get bored with them after a while.

What would excite me would be the original iPhone (same exact styling and screen size) but the guts of an iPhone 6.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

Self fulfilling prophesy.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Despite all the flaws iOS has compared to Android, I still prefer using the iPhone for the next 2 years due to the AppStore. Most apps are so polished

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010

1. Your question was indeed related to the S5, because you established the relationship when you said that you were bored with the iPhone 6 because it is just a bigger iPhone, and you're starting to play with your S5, as if or implying that the S5 is not just a better S4. Although this has been mentioned several times, you have yet to clarify this.

2. I did not assume that you had some agenda against Apple. I did not say this. Rather, I said that the issue seems to be in you (such as psychological preference) rather than something objectively in the iPhone or S5. It could be that you have an agenda against Apple, but I did not say this.

3. Actually, several of us engaged you at length. However, you're the one who have yet to calmly and intelligently answer any ONE of our points.

4. You're the one who has done the most name-calling so far.

5. In what way have I been full of myself or self-righteous? Please define these terms and provide evidence from previous posts, showing that they have exhibited these traits. Moreover, even if I am full of myself and self-righteous, that does not make me wrong. To call people names without engaging the points raised seems to be a red herring.

6. You call yourself a writer, but the prose and the reasoning behind your writing seem to call that into question. Your reading comprehension is also strangely...different. To be charitable, I will assume that you were too enraged with me to read my words with proper attention. I never said that I do not find contentment or entertainment in my device. I said it seems "illogical" and "childish" to be either "overly excited" or "bored" with it. Note that I placed "overly" before excited. So I can be excited with the device, and I am certainly not bored with it.

There are other issues with your posts, but since I do not expect my points to be properly read and addressed, I will stop here.

You can have the last word if you want, since I do not expect you to engage my points, and my answers will only make you angrier and angrier, and this is not what I want anyway. Everyone can see who is being more fair, reasonable, and truly engaging the conversation.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

First off: I think you're trying to make something more dramatic than it is. I didn't say I was offended by what you said, nor did anyone else in this thread. Those were words that you put in our mouths. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if you're bored or not. But you asked for people's opinions, and I gave you one: You wouldn't be bored if you had some actual purpose for using the phone. Others agreed.

That opinion has nothing to do with being Apple faithful. I say the same thing to people who "get bored" with Android phones, or Blackberries, or whatever. You're not supposed to "Get bored" with a phone. In fact, if you have actual uses for it, then the ONLY time you should be noticing the phone at all is if it's giving you problems... at which point, it's time to get something else.

Second, if you're reviewing a product, then you should say so when you're talking about why you're getting "bored." Most people use their phones to get tasks done, not to focus solely on the OS and user experience in order to write a blog post about how great or bad it is. Come to think of it: some of the best reviewers do have actual tasks that they put the reviewer phones through, so that there's real world usage, and so that they don't get bored. Just some food for thought there.

Also: If you plan on using people's opinions for your blog post, it's bad form not to let people know that you're a blogger seeking input from others, and letting them know they're going to be quoted. You didn't do that in your original post.

Why is this important? So that people can be on-guard should the blogger try to misconstrue what's being said... like, exactly what's happening here.

Last edited:

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I admire how after using it this long, I have not had a single "app not responding" or random crash or glitch that I encountered from Android.

Strange, I find safari loves to crash or become unresponsive

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
How can you be bored of something that's almost endlessly function-expandable. i.e. You can always download new apps to make your phone do new things. Just go to the app store and surf around, there are zillions of new things that your phone can do.

Download an exercise app and setup a new workout routine and watch as it tracks your progress over the days and motivates you with notifications, etc. etc.

Download a new type of game different than all the one you've tried before, and have fun playing with new game mechanics that let you interact with the game in new ways that you've never experienced before.

Download a budgeting app and get your financial house in order. Hook it up with you bank accounts and let it sort your expenses into categories and display it to you in a pie chart so that you can see where all your money is disappearing to.

etc. etc. etc.

BXiPhone

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
I was bored with my 5 and I was sure I'd get a Note 4. Nonetheless, I watched (or tried) most of the keynote and I realized that it's not all about the hardware. I really like the apple ecosystem and Android has nothing more to offer me. That being said, I was bored with my 6plus before it arrived. Just a bigger 5 I assumed. I'm pleased to say now that the new phone is here, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a definite upgrade from the 5 and I'm really satisfied at the moment.

Last edited:

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
Got mine on Sept. 19th at 8:00 am Eastern and the honeymoon is still going pretty strong. I am noticing some bugs, but it's nothing of a deal-breaker. Typical 1st gen OS/software bugs that will be sorted out. But yeah, like anything else, it will fade. Perhaps when it does fade a slight bend will spark up the affair. ha ha...NOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.