Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
If you mark an email as junk, shouldn't it always go into junk? One address getting on my nerves, spamming me every day, over and over.

How do you stop. Don't have to go into rules to do anything do I?

Snow Leopard. 10.6.8

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Yes you do. Just set a rule to delete any email from that address. If you have that email selected when you go into rules, the email address will autofill when you select "from"

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
You'll have to set a rule up at your Email provider and trap it there.

From who is your email provided ? Your Internet company, or gmail or yahoo or hotmail or .....?

The email goes to them first and then fans out to the various devices you have that you use to read email. So a rule on the mac will delete it from there but not from your iPHone or any other device. To delete from everywhere you need to attack it the place it first arrives.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Spam email keeps returning. How to rid?

That's great thank you. I think I've done it. It's a company email and I went into control panel last night and have done all @domainname so hope it works. It's driving me mad. Dozen a day from same company. Thanks so much for help.

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
This process has made this address go directly to 'junk' on MBP. That worked....

But for iPhone, this still comes into my inbox, not junk. Any ideas why and is it fixable?

2vv72ol.png

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Apparently... The host can't stop any emails at source. It can only go into spam on PC and inbox on phone.

I then enquired that if they were abusive was there still no way of stopping them and they said no. Is that correct?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks for that. It's not abusive. It's just a pain in the butt. But I was saying that my host are telling me they can't block anything, only put it in Spam folders on Mac, and nothing on iPhone, and I was saying that surely if it was abusive they would have to.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks for that. It's not abusive. It's just a pain in the butt. But I was saying that my host are telling me they can't block anything, only put it in Spam folders on Mac, and nothing on iPhone, and I was saying that surely if it was abusive they would have to.

On my Mac, I just set up a rule for email I don't want (mail -> preferences -> rules). Whenever I get new spam, I just edit the rule and add the new partial spam address (@xxx.com). The rule completely deletes the spam emails (they are not even placed in the trash).

I never check mail on my phone so I'm not sure if things are getting deleted.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Spam email keeps returning. How to rid?

They do go in spam now on Mac with the rule, but iphone still inbox. and most of day is on phone .....

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
They do go in spam now on Mac with the rule, but iphone still inbox. and most of day is on phone .....

It might be time to dump that email server and go with two alternatives. You might ask why two but let me explain. Use one for personal for relatives and close friends. Use the other for online stores.

<rant>On the other hand take from someone that is still fighting that maybe a third email for offical email for job hunting and online resumes. The daily emails that is still coming from every job search engine online from years ago. It getting me upset and these sites are almost as bad as tradional spammers! The unsubsibe system most times are almost inept!<rant>

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I have two personal emails which I use apps for, Yahoo Mail and Gmail. They're fine.

The iphone Mail is my main one which is business and that's the server which comes from my website email enquiries. Can't really change that. I just figured it'd be simple to block an email address in the mail program on iPhones but it's not. Or indeed from my lousy host servers but again. Nope

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.