Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"...much to my dismay Pages won't recognize old Claris Works files. Anyone know of any app or workaround to open these files? "

What type of files are these? They are old CW word processor files, correct?

If you don't mind losing the formatting (but KEEPING the text), you can try this:
- Download Tex-Edit+ here:
http://www.tex-edit.com/
- Launch TE+
- Hold down the "option" key and choose "Open Any File" from the File menu
- In the dialog box, select the Clarisworks file you want to open
- The file will open "as text". You will see a lot of "garbage characters" that represented the formatting codes that Clarisworks used, and you will have to edit this stuff out. But the actual _text_ of the WP files will be there, as well. You have to "edit around the text", so to speak.

This may even work for database and spreadsheet files, as well, but ALL formatting info will be lost. It _may_ be possible to reuse the actual data by searching for tab characters (which are generally used as "delimiters" by such apps) and patiently re-constructing the files as "tab delimited text files" (which can then be re-imported into a database or spreadsheet app).

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Well, the obvious way would be to scrounge up an old Mac with AppleWorks (probably AppleWorks 5) and convert them up that way.

How old are these documents?

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I just tried to open a 1992 Clarisworks document on my MBP and it opens and converts with appleworks v6.2.4
I'm almost sure I haven't opened these files since that era.
Maybe you'll find a copy on the apple website.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Kind of ridiculous that Pages can't even open the files. How hard can it be to incorporate that from previous versions...even if the formatting is incorrect it would still be useful.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Kind of ridiculous that Pages can't even open the files. How hard can it be to incorporate that from previous versions...even if the formatting is incorrect it would still be useful.

Try downloading OpenOffice or LibreOffice. They have a ton of converters built in, and they're free. HERE is Libre. If it'll open it, you can then save it to Word and have Pages open that.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I tried this with Neo Office, wich is an open office build, and it converts with lots of garbage. A one page document is translated into a 48 page document with all the unformatted text somewere inside.
If you only want to grab the text and there are no illustrations inside it should work, you can delete all the garbage and keep the text.

Donnny

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Here's how I did it...

I'm working in OS 10.5:
Opened Text Edit
Selected "Open"
Selected the document I wanted to convert (mine was on an old CD)
Selected all text on document and copied
Pasted into an email blank and then saved as a draft.
I can then go back and edit, easily change fonts, size, etc...

WAY COOL FOR MY ANCIENT STUFF!
and maybe yours!

ddrounds

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
You saved me BIG time with this work around!

What a help this was to me! I am in 2013 trying to open documents I had emailed to my husband for a class he was teaching in 2010. :eek:

Using this simple work around I opened the documents and only had to delete formatting garble and voila! He does not have to start from scratch to teach the class again. :)

Grateful to you!

"...much to my dismay Pages won't recognize old Claris Works files. Anyone know of any app or workaround to open these files? "

What type of files are these? They are old CW word processor files, correct?

If you don't mind losing the formatting (but KEEPING the text), you can try this:
- Download Tex-Edit+ here:
http://www.tex-edit.com/
- Launch TE+
- Hold down the "option" key and choose "Open Any File" from the File menu
- In the dialog box, select the Clarisworks file you want to open
- The file will open "as text". You will see a lot of "garbage characters" that represented the formatting codes that Clarisworks used, and you will have to edit this stuff out. But the actual _text_ of the WP files will be there, as well. You have to "edit around the text", so to speak.

This may even work for database and spreadsheet files, as well, but ALL formatting info will be lost. It _may_ be possible to reuse the actual data by searching for tab characters (which are generally used as "delimiters" by such apps) and patiently re-constructing the files as "tab delimited text files" (which can then be re-imported into a database or spreadsheet app).

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Extra tip: if the same code comes up over and over, use the find and replace function to find the code and leave the replace field empty. Then click replace all to erase all. You can use TE + to condition the text before moving it.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Kind of ridiculous that Pages can't even open the files. How hard can it be to incorporate that from previous versions...even if the formatting is incorrect it would still be useful."?"

Well, you can't get parts for a Model T any more either. Obsolescence just happens faster with computers and software.

To answer your "question", apparently hard enough to make it unprofitable. You could always switch and buy bloatware from Microsoft.

maparfitt

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
LibreOffice 4.2 claims to open ClarisWorks/AppleWorks .cwk files. I haven't tried it yet.

Just tried it. Works perfectly -- formatting intact and everything. Much better than plowing through all that cruft when you open a .cwk file with TextEdit.

Thank you!

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Well, you can't get parts for a Model T any more either. Obsolescence just happens faster with computers and software.

Actually, you can, either New, NOS, or used. As with anything, if there is enough demand to make it worthwhile someone will make it.

As for running Appleworks, you could also install an emulator such as SheepSaver and OS9 or a VM with an earlier OSX that still runs classic apps if you want to use tha apps rather than just convert files with LibreOffice.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
LibreOffice 4.2
LibreOffice just opened a document from 1985 for me. Maverick's Finder thinks the doc a UNIX executable, but I'm pretty sure it started life as a WriteNow document.
That's pretty good structure detection routines LibreOffice has.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
LibreOffice just opened a document from 1985 for me. Maverick's Finder thinks the doc a UNIX executable, but I'm pretty sure it started life as a WriteNow document.
That's pretty good structure detection routines LibreOffice has.
Outstanding!

I was a big fan of ClarisWorks for Windows. The things that I was able to do (and do so easily) with that on a Windows system made other Windows users jealous.

Sadly, iWorks isn't quite the same (but still quite good in its own right), and the only flat-file database option (Bento) has been discontinued. :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Re the post immediately above:
[[ LibreOffice also managed to open old ClarisWorks files (circa mid-90s) with the formatting intact! Not too shabby. ]]

Just wondering...

What -version- were the old Clarisworks files?

Did you have to add or modify file extensions on the files in order to coax LibreOffice to "see" them?

osnola

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Hello,
What -version- were the old Clarisworks files?
currently, the filter (used in LibreOffice) must be able to open all word processing's AppleWorks/ClarisWorks files and some draw documents ; the quality of the conversion will depend on the complexity of the layouts...

Note: This also means that the database, presentation, spreadsheet files will be not be converted and that LibreOffice will revert to the default filter to open such document.

Did you have to add or modify file extensions on the files in order to coax LibreOffice to "see" them?
If you drag a document on LibreOffice's icon, it will try to find the adequate filter (even if it had no extension or bad extension) :)

osnola

g01d10x

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Pages and Numbers are now opening .cwk files

Hey folks .. just trying to help my mom with this same issue, and the good ol' right click - "Open With" came to the rescue.

Mavericks wasn't quite clever enough to do this on it's own, but if the old file was a spreadsheet, 'Open With', then choose 'Numbers.app' .. if it was a word processing file, then choose 'Pages.app' and you'll probably get back something useful.

Cheers !
:apple:

helenplus

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2017
Colorado Springs
Here's how I did it...

I'm working in OS 10.5:
Opened Text Edit
Selected "Open"
Selected the document I wanted to convert (mine was on an old CD)
Selected all text on document and copied
Pasted into an email blank and then saved as a draft.
I can then go back and edit, easily change fonts, size, etc...

WAY COOL FOR MY ANCIENT STUFF!
and maybe yours!
Thanks for pointing me to TextEdit for converting my Clarisworks files!!! Now I can get rid of my old Mac that's been sitting here for two years waiting for a way to transfer/edit my old CWK files!!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for pointing me to TextEdit for converting my Clarisworks files!!! Now I can get rid of my old Mac that's been sitting here for two years waiting for a way to transfer/edit my old CWK files!!
Well, that post was made in 2012, at least two years longer than you've been waiting. Glad you found it after all that time! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.