Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinny3101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
So far there have been no reports of an iPod Touch 6 on MacRoumors. I'm just wondering why. Will there be an iTouch 6. If so when? IDK. Just wondering.
And comments on what you want or what it'll be like. Just open for anything.;)

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I think they'll just do a "sudden" update like they sometimes do. One day it'll pop up having a bit more similar features to the iPhone 6. No one will ever see it coming.;)

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
possibly dead

I love the iPod touch, but if its not mentioned at all during the Oct 16th event I'm afraid they will just keep the current out for awhile then quietly kill it off like the iPod classic.

when you consider they have a 5.5 iPhone, 7.9 iPad mini and a watch out or coming soon, i think they would rather just kill off iPod touch so it doesn't cannibalize those other products. there is already reports the iPad mini isn't selling as well as they hoped, so coming out with a larger iPod touch sure won't help that.

personally, i've used an iPod touch for the last 3 years, but i was planning to finally upgrade to something much larger. so in my case a new iPod touch that is still the same size wouldn't appeal to me

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I love the iPod touch, but if its not mentioned at all during the Oct 16th event I'm afraid they will just keep the current out for awhile then quietly kill it off like the iPod classic.

when you consider they have a 5.5 iPhone, 7.9 iPad mini and a watch out or coming soon, i think they would rather just kill off iPod touch so it doesn't cannibalize those other products. there is already reports the iPad mini isn't selling as well as they hoped, so coming out with a larger iPod touch sure won't help that.

personally, i've used an iPod touch for the last 3 years, but i was planning to finally upgrade to something much larger. so in my case a new iPod touch that is still the same size wouldn't appeal to me

I love my iPod touch 5G. I use it less for music, and more as my main travel camera and for some web surfing and making & receiving calls. I use it in tandem with my iPad mini which has an unlimited AT&T data plan that I'm grandfathered in on. I'm hoping the iPod touch gets an update along with the iPads on the 16th too. It'd be great if they announce a 4.7" and 5.5" iPod touch. The 4.7" could be called an iPod touch and the 5.5" could be called an ipad nano. Because that's what an iPod touch is really. Unlike the iPod shuffle & iPod nano which are music only devices, the iPod touch is more like an ipad for surfing the web, playing games, texting, making & recieving calls, emailing, watching movies etc. its so much more than a music player now.

In fact, If they announce a 5.5" iPod touch, I'd love if it came with a cellular nano SIM card. Then I could truly have it all in one.

I don't have a smartphone. Don't need one. Don't want one. I travel a lot, and hate being locked into expensive long term contracts. I refuse to spend $100 plus a month to the telecoms for limited data. I've been making & receiving calls on my iPod touch & iPad mini for over 4 yrs now. Works great.

Anyway...I really don't think Apple will let the iPod touch die. Oct 16th should be interesting.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I don't have a smartphone. Don't need one. Don't want one. I travel a lot, and hate being locked into expensive long term contracts. I refuse to spend $100 plus a month to the telecoms for limited data. I've been making & receiving calls on my iPod touch & iPad mini for over 4 yrs now. Works great.

Anyway...I really don't think Apple will let the iPod touch die. Oct 16th should be interesting.

what is your preferred app on the the iPod touch to make & receive calls?

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
what is your preferred app on the the iPod touch to make & receive calls?

I used to use yahoo messenger until they got rid of their VoIP feature. I now use google voice & google hangouts. Works great. If I miss a call, it goes to voicemail and google even transcribes what the caller said in an email. I use it for texting as well. But I also use iMessage for that. FaceTime & Skype every now and then. I have some other apps like txt now that I use less and less. But I do try to keep current with new VoIP apps out there. What do you use?

LAPTOPODO

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Apple would like you to buy an iphone 6 or 6s in order to use iOS, i hope to be wrong but i don't think new ipod touch it's comming on 16th.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Apple would like you to buy an iphone 6 or 6s in order to use iOS, i hope to be wrong but i don't think new ipod touch it's comming on 16th.

iPod touch uses the same IOS. if an iPhone runs IOS8 so does the iPod touch

----------

I used to use yahoo messenger until they got rid of their VoIP feature. I now use google voice & google hangouts. Works great. If I miss a call, it goes to voicemail and google even transcribes what the caller said in an email. I use it for texting as well. But I also use iMessage for that. FaceTime & Skype every now and then. I have some other apps like txt now that I use less and less. But I do try to keep current with new VoIP apps out there. What do you use?

i always try to use FaceTime or message app, but for some reason its tough to get people I know to use them especially FaceTime audio.

in the past i've used a voip app from nettalk http://www.nettalk.com/smartphone/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.