Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I've never buy any used electronic or clothes and I hesitate to buy a used camera. This deal for the Sony RX1 is for 600USD less than the retail price in Japan. It's the camera I like the most.

Here in Japan is quite common to find camera shops with product labels as new, like new, used, junk.

How do you inspect the cameras in your country, or lens, how do you know if there aren't scratched but imperceptible for the eye? I don't think having my hands with a new model as reference is easy in this stores.

On the other hand, most of my belongings, in general, are in near perfect condition and that's the reason I never sell anything. Sometimes I see others abuse their electronics or not being very clean while using them.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
TheGenerous said:
How do you inspect the cameras in your country, or lens, how do you know if there aren't scratched but imperceptible for the eye? I don't think having my hands with a new model as reference is easy in this stores.

Take a picture of something plain/white and look for imperfections, preferably with an SD card on a computer and not just magnified on the LCD.

Reactions: TheGenerous

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Japanese are usually very meticulous, and selling used items is quite common in many of the camera stores. I bought cameras there on many occasions, and I often wouldn't even see that the camera was used, because the original owner kept the box and all the papers.

Reactions: TheGenerous
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.