Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I just wanted to warn others about the Toshiba Q series SSDs. If your MacBook/MacBook Pro uses the Nvidia MCP79 chipset, the Toshiba SSD will run at SATA 1 speeds (negotiated link speed of 1.5 gigabits) even though the computer is capable of SATA 2. This results in dismal speeds of about 105MB/s writes and 130MB/s reads when it should be double that.

Calls and emails to Toshiba asking for a firmware update to correct this have proven to be useless.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 499

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
You didn't by chance put it in the Optibay did you? Because that would be the expected behavior in that machine if so.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Nope. It is in standard HD location.

Wow. Then I don't know what to say. SATA is an industry standard, it's not some vendor driven thing like a Lightning cable (Apple, *cough)

What does Toshiba have to say?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Wow. Then I don't know what to say. SATA is an industry standard, it's not some vendor driven thing like a Lightning cable (Apple, *cough)

What does Toshiba have to say?

Like I said earlier, calls and emails have proven fruitless. When I called, I spoke to people who barely knew what a computer is. Emails have gone unanswered.

----------

Well, if you were Installing it 'just to find out and tell us' then thanks for the info..

Otherwise, I gotta say Go With What Ya Know.. I did, and both the M4 and 830 I have installed are great.. So far.. Good Luck!!

No, my intentions were not so noble.

I naively thought that SATA is a standard and that a SATA 3 drive would fall back to SATA 2 speeds when connected to such an interface.

I wasn't about to follow a guide last edited in June of 2011.

endlightend

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Like I said earlier, calls and emails have proven fruitless. When I called, I spoke to people who barely knew what a computer is. Emails have gone unanswered.

----------

I naively thought that SATA is a standard and that a SATA 3 drive would fall back to SATA 2 speeds when connected to such an interface.

People have been petitioning Intel for the same for years, made the mistake with an Intel 520 on a late 09 unibody.. After reading for a few hours and trying different things, I shook my head and called it my loss. But I do understand why people are willing to pay more for OWC drives and components with a guarantee that they'll work on Mac.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*

----------

MacBook Pro's are finicky SSD wise, even more so when putting them and spinners in the optibay's where SATA 3 handshake issues crop up and you have to set the firmware on the drive to run SATA 2 only.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada

----------

Sorry to hear.. and with All Due Respect, this thread has been Sticky'd to Top of the Page only because it has been THAT popular since adding SSDs to MBPs became 'fashionable' and people wanted to see what worked or not and why, and surely has evolved since 2011.. 2400+ Replies ~ 98 pages and counting.. and many well written posts often daily/weekly since.. You really should search through it, if you wish to research adding a SSD at all, that is WHY it was put up.. :confused:

A simple search for your stated Nvidia MCP79 nets me these discussions.. Hope they may assist!!

Last edited:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Until I came across the issue, the thought of searching "MCP79" never crossed my mind. I don't have such foresight.

Fair enough, but I've been around this place long enough to have an issue where I'm heading into 'uncharted waters' I'll have a quick search on here and the Apple forums. Unfortunately like yourself I learnt with SSD's the hard way, recommending to clients they go for bargains rather than the best option for their MBP. Lesson certainly learned in that department!

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I hardly view replacing a hard drive with an SSD "uncharted waters". It should have been a 5 minute job, plus bit of time to clone the original drive. It's not brain surgery.

pumany

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
New York NY
Pastrychef - I think I'm having the same problem as you. I purchased a 128 GB Toshiba Q Series Pro. I ran the BlackMagic Speed test and I'm not sure I know enough to check what version of SATA is being utilized.

I have a MBP 13 inch Mid 2010 with Nvidia MCP89. System information reports the negotiated speed at 3 gigabits. The speed seems to vary but I'm getting as fast as 200 MB/s write and 260 read, but its not consistent. I was expecting a bit faster since the drive is supposed to read at above 500...

Any thoughts for me??

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
The speed will give you a guide:

SATA1 = circa 100-150MB/s
SATA2 = circa 250-300MB/s
SATA3 = circa 450-500MB/s

To tell though, go to About this Mac, More Info, System Report and click on SATA/SATA Express, click on the "Intel 6 series chipset" and look for "Link Speed" and "Negotiated Link Speed"

SATA1 = 1.5Gb/s
SATA2 = 3.0Gb/s
SATA3 = 6.0Gb/s

If your Link Speed is 6 but Negotiated Link Speed is 3 then your chipset support SATA3 but the drive is running at SATA2 for some reason (either it is a SATA2 drive or is encountering errors at SATA3 speed for instance).

HTH

pumany

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
New York NY
trim

Thanks Simonsi - definitely helpful. I gather from what I've read online that OS X does not enable trim by default for non apple drives?

EA5Y

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
I can't format or erase my brand new Internal SDD Toshiba Q Series Pro 256GB in my Macbook Pro 13' (Mid 2009) using another HD with Yosemite 10.10.5 installed. Btw i tried to TRIM the disk with Disk Sensei 1.2 but nothing happen... :s
I'm just the only one or anyone else had this problem? And if so, can i get any help here please?

Thank you

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
I can't format or erase my brand new Internal SDD Toshiba Q Series Pro 256GB in my Macbook Pro 13' (Mid 2009) using another HD with Yosemite 10.10.5 installed. Btw i tried to TRIM the disk with Disk Sensei 1.2 but nothing happen... :s
I'm just the only one or anyone else had this problem? And if so, can i get any help here please?

Thank you
Check if the SSD drive works in your MBP.

To do this, create a bootable CD or USB stick from here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Plug in you new SSD as the only drive in your MBP and boot from CD or USB stick. No OSX involved. If your computer can see and partition / format the SSD drive, go from there.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Could be the SSD doesn't play nice with the SATA1 or 2 in your MBP, could be you have a cable issue that is breaking down at the higher data rate...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.