Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
In what application? And on what kind of site/document? Was it ever fast enough?

Anything, from scrolling in the Applications folder in the dock to Safari. Even Pages exhibits scrolling lag, always been there and I used my cousins 2012 rMBP,same issue. (13" model as well")

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I'm using Yosemite. PB4.

Oh, well there you go! Using a beta OS won't be as smooth as using a final release or even better, a 10.x.x update like Mavericks 10.9.5.

Well, that is the weird thing. Yosemite is what 'fixed' the UI performance for me over Mavericks. Its strange that people are having so different experiences here. From responses here and other communities, it seems like half of people experience a performance boost and half experience degradation. I a very curious what is the deciding factor behind these differences.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Oh, well there you go! Using a beta OS won't be as smooth as using a final release or even better, a 10.x.x update like Mavericks 10.9.5.

That couldn't be a factor, Mavericks was just as bad and I did make a thread about this issue before.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Well, that is the weird thing. Yosemite is what 'fixed' the UI performance for me over Mavericks. Its strange that people are having so different experiences here. From responses here and other communities, it seems like half of people experience a performance boost and half experience degradation. I a very curious what is the deciding factor behind these differences.

Well, all I know is that I am seeing major performance issues on my 2012 cMBP with yosemite, and I am having choppy animations but not necessarily choppy scrolling. I can see how a MBP with twice as many pixels would suffer even worse performance, including choppy scrolling.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

I didn't clean install, too lazy and have too much stuff. I have exams soon and I would rather not waste time reinstalling OSX, I could have done it today as I was free however I needed to do other things.

----------

Well, all I know is that I am seeing major performance issues on my 2012 cMBP with yosemite, and I am having choppy animations but not necessarily choppy scrolling. I can see how a MBP with twice as many pixels would suffer even worse performance, including choppy scrolling.

The lag, I would argue would be due to the HDD. The scrolling issues are there, just not too bad.

FYI: I also have a cMBP and that lagged even more, with a clean wipe!

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
The lag, I would argue would be due to the HDD. The scrolling issues are there, just not too bad.

FYI: I also have a cMBP and that lagged even more, with a clean wipe!

I'm talking about animations...I can do everything as quickly as I could on mavericks, but opening mission control, launchpad, notification center, switching windows, switching desktops, and moving the dock from screen to screen has frame drops and delays. It was far worse in DP1, but apple still obviously needs to work on GPU performance.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm talking about animations...I can do everything as quickly as I could on mavericks, but opening mission control, launchpad, notification center, switching windows, switching desktops, and moving the dock from screen to screen has frame drops and delays. It was far worse in DP1, but apple still obviously needs to work on GPU performance.

Not just scrolling. But in general, I find the rMBP to perform better than the cMBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.