Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XistenZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
So I got a mission from someone that replaced the HDD in their iMac (I never played around with one before, so I'm not sure how to say which one it is? Model A1225, mid 2007, 24". That's the best info I could gather on what iMac it is.) and now nothing is displayed. The iMac "chimes" as I understood is the correct term for the startup-sound, but the screen stays black (no backlight or anything, tried the flashlight-test as well).

The LEDs 1,2 and 3 light up but the 4th is off, which tells me that the graphicscard is working properly, but it can't communicate with the screen. I found there's two cables attached to the display/screen/LCD (no idea if there's any difference between these terms, sorry...), one connects to the underside of the motherboard, and one connects through a piece that you need 2 screws for. The last mentioned is what I could gather is the data-cable, and the first mentioned is the LCD-cable.

Which one of these should be replaced? I have no clue what the purpose of either is, except that I need them of course :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.