Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonzten

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
India
Crucial Time for Apple

It is crucial time for apple to win customers as the trust to them is degrading day by day....:mad:

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
How is that Apples fault if that company ******** up? Maybe that company did not deliver what was promised in the deal?

IMO, and I have no idea if this is correct, due to Apple having GT Advaced sign the exclusive deal and gauranteeing sapphire business, Apple wasn't able to maintain their projected production volume of iPhone 6's, thus eliminating the sapphire glass from this device entirely. Since Apple wasn't placing the orders, GT Advcanced gets screwed.

(At least this is how it comes across to me.) If someone else has a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Apple basically has GT Advanced Technologies sign an exclusive agreement that they will only produce saphire for Apple's rumored iPhones and Apple Watches over the next five years at a high volume capacity, thus limiting GT's partnerships with virtually any other potential clients. Then GT suddely files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to not enough business continuity/cash flow.

http://investor.gtat.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=804195

Did Apple inadvertantly screw their business partner by having them sign this exclusive contract? Should Apple at least explore a possible buyout of this company or at least license the tech?

Mixed feelings about Apple's business practices some times. :(

When did Apple or GT ever disclose they were producing sapphire for the new iPhones displays? I know there were rumors about it but that doesn't mean it for sure was targeted for the iPhone 6.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
IMO, and I have no idea if this is correct, due to Apple having GT Advaced sign the exclusive deal and gauranteeing sapphire business, Apple wasn't able to maintain their projected production volume of iPhone 6's, thus eliminating the sapphire glass from this device entirely. Since Apple wasn't placing the orders, GT Advcanced gets screwed.

(At least this is how it comes across to me.) If someone else has a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.

If that would be the case that Apple wouldn't have fulfilled their part of the contract, they would have to pay lots of money to GT Advanced Technologies for breaking the contract - probably as much as the contract was worth, or even more for damage of reputation (At least that is how those contracts usually work)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

I think you're on to something.

My hunch is, GT bet BIG on Apple using sapphire for the 6, Apple probably told them they'd need to have production at X by May or something, and they missed the deadline.

Apple went ahead with "ion strengthened glass" (lol), and told GT that they'd still use them for other things, but not the 6.

Because GT went "all-in" they can't afford this, and have capacity out the yin-yang, but no use for it. Chapter 11.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Makes some sense. I'm still thinking the iPhone 6's were supposed to have Sapphire glass displays. With them missing the deadline to be able to mass produce enough it shifted their timeline slightly. Still think it is a viable company and product.

Wrong. An iPhone 6 sapphire display would be way too brittle/expensive.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Just a nasty rumors that enables another Apple rumor of another Apple product having a low yield output and will be in short supply when product launched a la Apple Watch which increases curiosity and demand because Apple knows people don't want to miss out! Expect long lines at your local Apple store on launch day! :rolleyes::D:apple:

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
maybe they just use it as a legal way to clear out some/most dept they have and than Apple zooms in and buys them without buying most of the debt (assuming they get court approval for this).

Having worked at two companies that had to file chapter 11, it seems to be a nice way to get rid of dept (one of those companies emerged and was successful afterwards, the other filed for chapter 7 after a year and the assets were sold of at a auction to the main competitioner for cheap - big win for the buyer)

Thats exactly what I thought, would be a nice way for them to pick them up at a discount

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
why don't u explain it then

Chapter 11 is a protection, a "last resort" to STAY in business. Its aim is to calm down investors/debtors by guaranteeing that debts will be paid. Without such protection, banks/investors/vendors would stop giving credit to a company. With the protection, there is enough guarantee to keep investing $$$ in the company.

Look at it this way.
You owe $10000 to VISA because you decided to buy a maxed out Mac Pro, but you can't pay your debt this month. First thing that happens to you? Your credit line is closed, no one can help you out, your credit score is destroyed. In other words, you're financially f-ed.
Getting a "Chapter 11" bankruptcy protection means that a higher entity (court) will guarantee that VISA will get its money back one way or another. This allowes VISA itself to "extend" your debt over time, or to find other solutions that do not damage you. VISA, as your creditor, WANTS your money, it does not want to put you out of business so your business can stay alive while it "restructures". However, VISA itself it needs some level of reassurance, and that is exactly what Ch. 11 is for.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef

My hunch is, GT bet BIG on Apple using sapphire for the 6, Apple probably told them they'd need to have production at X by May or something, and they missed the deadline.

Apple went ahead with "ion strengthened glass" (lol), and told GT that they'd still use them for other things, but not the 6.

Because GT went "all-in" they can't afford this, and have capacity out the yin-yang, but no use for it. Chapter 11.

Search your feelings. I think this is a spot on analysis.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
If that would be the case that Apple wouldn't have fulfilled their part of the contract, they would have to pay lots of money to GT Advanced Technologies for breaking the contract - probably as much as the contract was worth, or even more for damage of reputation (At least that is how those contracts usually work)

Not if GT missed the deadline. Apple definitely had a demand that a certain amount of screens be available by a certain time (so as not to delay production). If GT couldn't hold up their end, there is no contract.

I still don't think it was Apple's first choice to have "ion strengthend glass" (lol), but GT missed a deadline and Apple had to move or risk delaying the launch.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
The simple version is that 11 keeps you in business and lets a court manage your debt so you stay in business and everyone (almost) gets paid back over time.

Yup. It's entirely possible for all creditors to get paid under Chapter 11. It allows debtors to reprioritize their debts and gives them a little reprieve in the form of the automatic stay. It's not like Chapter 7 where the business is completely insolvent and the business sells its assets in a fire sale.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there

So it is GT that broke their part of the contract .... They over promised and failed.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
If Cook isn't worried, I'm not.

GT's market cap is $1.51 billion at the time of this writing. That's chicken feed to Apple. If their internal new product roadmap depends upon sapphire and they were the least bit concerned about GT's financials, they could just buy the company, lock, stock, and barrel.

In fact, beforehand they could write a press release like this: "We've been looking forward to a great relationship with GT for our new products, but they are one of many potential providers of raw materials for our screens. Rest assured that Apple products will be made to the highest standards..." (blah, blah, blah).

The tepid compliment + mention of other vendors = a further drop in GT stock price. Apple buys when GT trades for $7/share rather than $10.98 (at this writing).

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Chapter 11 is a chapter in a book usually after Chapter 10..

Either Tim is a genius or a total moron!! Tim could look really clever and buy GT for $1 and the related costs, or missed the boat and some other company recently sued by Apple, for a product similar to the iphone, based in South Korea, and be forced to pay OTT prices for screen glass....I suspect Tim was too busy with the apple-watch and fashion models in Paris to see this coming!!

smakdown61

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
The only people this is really going to effect are stock holders as the stock price has been tanking.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I never thought the iPhone would get a sapphire display and instead expected this partnership to be for an Apple Watch product and various iPhone components. I still believe that. Perhaps this issue, if it has anything to do with Apple at all, has more to do with the Apple Watch being behind schedule. It's all speculation at this point though. Again, perhaps the Watch isn't running behind at all according to Apple's internal schedule, and perhaps this isn't related to Apple at all, but I've just never been wholly convinced that the iPhone 6 was set to receive a sapphire screen.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Maybe they made huge investments in tech trying to get ready for the 6 line of phones, couldn't make it in time and now have no revenue.

Hold out for the 7 boys.

More likely GT convinced them that this would work for phones but testing proved it would not. Which would explain the sudden departure of the sales guy who sold this to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.