Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I surprised no one has talked about how incredible Sonos is! It isn't portable in the sense that you can take it to the beach, but you can unplug it and move from room to room in your house. The sound is better than the Bose, at least in my opinion. You can get a play1 and it has plenty of strength to fill a room with gorgeous sound.

I know it kind of sucks that you have to buy a bridge that connects with your home network to make the speaker truly wireless, but if you contact me I can send you one for free. Just let me know!

Probably because the OP is asking about two specific items. The Sonos is not portable in the way the bose is. Also Sonos gets into big money pretty quickly

justas21

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
Volume control issue

I've been on the fence between the two of a month now. Agree with everything that has been said so far (sound quality, battery, charging, etc.) Can anyone share their experience with volume control in both speakers?

Bose Soundlink Mini has volume control independent from the device. I always keep my iPhone 4S volume at the loudest (the iphone's speaker max volume is pretty low to never change it). Once you set Mini to a specific level, you don't need to change anything on the phone in the future pairings.

UE boom has volume control tethered to the volume of the device. Which means that my max volume setting on the iphone is WAY too loud to be listening to on UE. So, I need to drop it to about 1/3 of the scale. What happens when I disconnect from the speaker? I need to adjust the volume of the iphone back to max. From my research, the firmware update in October 2013 from Logitech introduced more increments to the volume scale, but has not made the controls independent. Can anyone confirm this?

At this point this is the only thing preventing me from buying UE Boom. :(

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
Surely the battery life would be the clincher for any portable speaker if everything else was on a par.

I've heard both and the UE Boom just sounds better all round compared to the bose, guess the 360 degree audio does make a difference.

hArrisburger

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
Surely the battery life would be the clincher for any portable speaker if everything else was on a par.

I've heard both and the UE Boom just sounds better all round compared to the bose, guess the 360 degree audio does make a difference.

Resurrecting this thread as I'm looking for a Bluetooth speaker and down to these two. My primary uses are in my bedroom and bathroom and the occasional tailgate during football season. I listen mostly to acoustic/folk music and podcasts.

Thoughts?

georgetalkative

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
Hey, not sure if this is the right place for this.

I'm looking to get a wireless portable speaker. I have narrowed it down to these two. Does anyone have an experience with these? Which one is better? What are the pros and cons of both? Thanks!

Well, since several years has passed from asking the question, I'd now recommend JBL Flip 4 vs Charge 3 - two most demanded and incredible wireless portable speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.