Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
he said that a few iPhone 6 plus have had quality control issues and that these phones have had structural damaged from new. And that these phones will be prone to bending with little effort.

I find it highly unlikely that anyone working at Apple would make that kind of statement. I find it actually extremely unlikely. I find it much much less likely than someone making up a story and posting on a website.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
As stated in your other thread, it being a defect seemed like the most likely outcome. I'm glad to see they are doing something about it. :)

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Re: My phone bending in case thread

The apple supervisor just called back.

They are shipping out a brand new phone to me within 48 hours.

he said that a few iPhone 6 plus have had quality control issues and that these phones have had structural damaged from new. And that these phones will be prone to bending with little effort.

They are looking at it case by case basis and will replace if necessary.

He said that the issue is extremely small and that I was just one of the unlucky ones.

So there you go. I was not lying. My phone was already had a defect before I'd even opened the box.

He said that even the case could of been the culprit because of the defect. But until they receive the phone they won't know for certain.

So the bottom line is....

That the iPhone 6 plus will not bend under normal use. Unless you have a defected phone from new.

Amazing customer service from apple. Cant think of many companies that will go to all that effort for their customers.

For all the doomsday neigh sayer fan bois, go ahead and flame me all you like. I don't care. I got the out come that I wanted.

And for piece of mind, I will get apple care +, Just incase I drop it on my living room floor again

Love to know what factory and week your phone is. Maybe there's a pattern?

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Would not really be possible to tell when and where a batch came from. If what the apple guy said is true then a factory run could be in the 10s or 100s of thousands of units. The distribution chain is also complicated as apple manufactured units to hold back for other country launches and tends to redistribute from the china warehouses as demand is needed in different markets.

I ordered on the first day of preorder date but was an hour late and received the 3-4 delivery estimate. If they were already manufactured wouldn't I have received it much earlier along with the launch batch ? Especially if they were just sitting there in the warehouse.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
I ordered on the first day of preorder date but was an hour late and received the 3-4 delivery estimate. If they were already manufactured wouldn't I have received it much earlier along with the launch batch ? Especially if they were just sitting there in the warehouse.

Yes, I would imagine it's already manufactured. The units are assembled and then will be programmed and packaged for different markets as needed. Also Apple launched in 20 other countries 2 weeks after the first countries. There is no way they produced all that stock for 20 countries and still manufactured the needed units in existing markets in those 2 weeks. Also rumour has it apple tend to hold back stock to maintain a feeling of demand.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Too much he said, she said from the OP. That's not an official statement from Apple.

While I agree, I also have to call out your "metrics" such as this load of BS:

"Most of the members here that have been around a few years also bought an iPhone 6/6Plus and very few if any are reporting of bent phones. Wonder why?"

You simply have no basis whatsoever to make such a statement, so why do it?

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Exactly what I've been saying all along (and getting hammered for.) Factory defects, not "pocket bends."

I don't think that there are some defects and some that are fine... Not sure if that is what you are suggesting or not. I think Apple may be scrambling to sort out this mess and it is easier to say some are defective instead of 'oops, we messed this up sorry'. If this is the case I believe Apple will not recall any phones but will have an internal list of all early phones and any that bend will be replaced no questions asked. This is all speculation on my part but seems to be the most prudent course to take for both Apple and it's customers.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
While I agree, I also have to call out your "metrics" such as this load of BS:

"Most of the members here that have been around a few years also bought an iPhone 6/6Plus and very few if any are reporting of bent phones. Wonder why?"

You simply have no basis whatsoever to make such a statement, so why do it?

"Load of BS?" I don't appreciate your tone sir. I never spoke to you or anyone here in that manner and I expect the same respect.

If I have no basis then prove me wrong rather than coming at me so rudely and defensive.

Xzentric

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Just to clear things up. It wasn't a normal supervisor. He was a senior apple advisor. If that makes any difference.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
What about people receiving their phones in October (3-4 weeks delivery), do you think Manufacturing issues would have been ironed out to produce them when compared to the first launch batch ?

There is no way to increase the strength of the iPhone 6. I doubt even the 6S.

Only way it to replace the aluminum back with a harder material.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Yes, I would imagine it's already manufactured. The units are assembled and then will be programmed and packaged for different markets as needed. Also Apple launched in 20 other countries 2 weeks after the first countries. There is no way they produced all that stock for 20 countries and still manufactured the needed units in existing markets in those 2 weeks. Also rumour has it apple tend to hold back stock to maintain a feeling of demand.

I am really start to see a trend of 'Apple detractors' around this bending issue. It seems like there are a core group of users (you included) bouncing around every thread hyping up the bendability of the new Plus.

Seem like you have a ulterior motive with every post you make. As if the login name and your web link don't give that away. :)

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
I am really start to see a trend of 'Apple detractors' around this bending issue. It seems like there are a core group of users (you included) bouncing around every thread hyping up the bendability of the new Plus.

Seem like you have a ulterior motive with every post you make. As if the login name and your web link don't give that away. :)

Unsure how talking about manufacturing procedure for a device has anything to do with hyping up bendability. I have started no threads about this and simply discussed on existing forum threads about bent phones. Perhaps what you are seeing is that actually people are starting to realise that apples "9 user" quote was not quite accurate.

There is no ulterior motive at all, I hope my motive is quite obvious actually. I wish to discover whether this problem is genuinely affecting a lot of users over the next few months or so and to make sure users who spend an enormous amount of money are treated fairly and are aware of it.

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
Just to clear things up. It wasn't a normal supervisor. He was a senior apple advisor. If that makes any difference.

I'm really glad that it's been sorted out for you. As someone who wants to upgrade from iPhone 4 but on the fence because of the bending, it's nice to know that they are looking into and acknowledging the problem.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The people who did the tests on whether or not the iPhone could bend or not, are the sames ones that tested iOS 8.0.1 before it was released. :D

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
There is no way to increase the strength of the iPhone 6. I doubt even the 6S.

Only way it to replace the aluminum back with a harder material.

If there was a bad batch of aluminum, I could see there being a defective batch. Another thing I've noticed is that the vast majority of bent devices seem to be space gray. That could be because there are more space gray devices, but it could also potentially have something to do with the anodizing process used for that color (perhaps the space gray solution in one line had too much acid or something).

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I'm not sure that I've noticed a particular color being bent more, but if it is Space Gray I'm sure it would simply be because it's the most popular color by far.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
*sigh*

This is STILL not confirmation of anything. For Pete's sake, the OP even mentions he's buying AC+ in case he drops his phone on the floor "AGAIN".

If all of you smart people haven't figured it out by now, Apple is a fantastic company when it comes to customer service. They aren't going to call someone a liar unless they have hard evidence, and until the phone is shipped back of COURSE they aren't going to accuse the caller of anything.

Did they charge you full retail price for the replacement until the original could be evaluated (as is policy with express replacement)? If they just sent you one willy nilly, without any other backup in case it's clearly obvious you *cough* dropped your phone on the floor, then I would be shocked.

They charge you for the replacement, then release the charge AFTER they determine it wasn't your fault.

They don't make the determination without seeing the phone first. That'd be silly. You can always send it back FIRST, but if you want an express replacement, that's how it's always worked (you know... to prevent fraud from people who drop their phones on the floor and then swear it was like that out of the box...).

On a related note, no bends here. No friends with bends either. There is no bendgate, just people abusing their phones and bandwagoning trying to get their mistake covered for free. Sorry

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Unsure how talking about manufacturing procedure for a device has anything to do with hyping up bendability. I have started no threads about this and simply discussed on existing forum threads about bent phones. Perhaps what you are seeing is that actually people are starting to realise that apples "9 user" quote was not quite accurate.

There is no ulterior motive at all, I hope my motive is quite obvious actually. I wish to discover whether this problem is genuinely affecting a lot of users over the next few months or so and to make sure users who spend an enormous amount of money are treated fairly and are aware of it.

No ulterior motive he says as he promotes his web site which is designed to defame Apple.

You have an agenda. You are not objective. You have no credibility here.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
No ulterior motive he says as he promotes his web site which is designed to defame Apple.

You have an agenda. You are not objective. You have no credibility here.

Defame Apple?

Hardly...

Defame the iPhone 6/+? Maybe.

If there is a legitimate problem with the iPhone 6, we need to know.

You don't think there is, so we won't do anything to convince you. You have no credibility here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.