Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
It took several hours for my avatar page to show up too... Patience, patience.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
How about an * for contributors that have or don't have 250, either way. So Demi-God*. Ok after thinking again, any contributor under 250 posts has * after their status. Thoughts?

Personally, I'm not too fond of people knowing I'm a contributor who hasn't quite reached 500 posts. The less attention called to us non-'tared demis the better. It's kind of a stigma.

I'd prefer to think that others see me as a contributor who just hasn't bothered with the whole avatar shenanigans.

On the other hand, I've got just over 100 more posts to go...

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Which is exactly the way it works now. Why is it important that there be a difference indicator? If they're posting in the Marketplace, they clearly have the required posts and length of membership. If they haven't met the requirements, they can always glance at their profile page to see how close they are. The fact that they don't yet have those requirements isn't really of interest to anyone else.

I agree. I don't think there is any need for a distinction at 250. (and I am between 250 and 500 posts, so this affects me!)

I also think the 6502A processor is less fitting of MacRumors. After all, the Apple III was not a Mac. If there really is a need to add a title at 250, couldn't everything be bumped up? 6502 = 250, 65816 = 500, 65832 = 1000, etc. As an added benefit, the processors will more broadly reflect the Mac's history. There have been new processors since the G5, after all.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In my opinion, the user titles should work whatever way is best for the moderators. There are some assumptions that some people make in these forums, which are not necessarily accurate:

Assumption: The titles "Contributor", "Demi-God" and "Demi-Goddess" are indications of that person's knowledge and experience with Macs. Fact: Those titles only indicate someone contributed at least $25 to support this site. Not to diminish any contributions, but a Mac newbie.... even a computer newbie... could have the title "Demi-God".

Assumption: Someone who just joined this forum in the past few weeks or months is a "newbie" when it comes to computer or Mac knowledge or experience. Fact: There are many knowledgeable, experienced and technically advanced people who are just now discovering MacRumors Forums. Some have superior knowledge, even though their forum title might say "MacRumors Newbie".

Assumption: Someone who has a large number of posts is automatically more knowledgeable than someone who has fewer posts. Fact: While this may usually be true, it's possible that some of the most knowledgeable posters might be too busy to frequent the forums as much as some who have more idle time to kill.

Rather than depending on titles too much, the most valuable posts come from posters who offer:

• A friendly, patient, helpful, non-condescending attitude.
  • Clear, easy-to-understand instructions or explanations.
  • Facts more than opinion, unless the thread is asking for pure opinion.
  • Respectful disagreements, rather than flaming or putting down others.

Our moderators are excellent examples of these qualities. We would all do well to emulate them.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
^ word.

I agree, I really do. In other forums I've seen several top posters on the whole site simply post meaningless stuff like "Guess what movie I just watched?" "I ate a pickle and it wasn't that good." kind of stuff.

Post count does not indicate more experience, and vise versa.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
Alright, its all working now. Thanks!

Edit; maybe.. I can't seem to get my avatar to show up. :\

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You're more than halfway there. :) Your permissions have updated and you have successfully updated an avatar, which you can see on your profile page. The avatars displayed next to posts, however, are hosted on a different server that only syncs every few hours. So give it a little time...it'll show up. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.