Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have just started to notice my right ring finger has become very sore at the base where it meets the hand, precisely where a ring would go. I hold my iPhone 6 with my right hand just as I did my 4S.

I'm not sure exactly what's causing this pain but I imagine it has much to do with stretching to reach parts of the screen, which requires me to slide my pinky under the left side of the bottom of the phone where the headphone jack is and outstretch my thumb to reach the left side and top half of the screen, particularly the upper left.

Hopefully I get used to this, I have to keep switching back to my 4S intermittently to rest my hand.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Not really. If it is ever uncomfortable or difficult for me to reach a part of the screen, I use this weird biological invention that I recently discovered; I call it my other hand.

Though might it be the ring causing it?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Not really. If it is ever uncomfortable or difficult for me to reach a part of the screen, I use this second hand that I recently discovered.

Though might it be the ring causing it?

I edited my post, I don't wear one I was just using it as a reference point.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Perhaps you are trying too hard to operate a large phone with one hand?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
MyFingersHurtFacebook.png

sorry but this is what I thought of when I read this

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I have pain in nearly the same spot since getting my 6. You're not crazy. Mine is located more between the ring and little finger knuckles. Also hoping I get used to this.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have pain in nearly the same spot since getting my 6. You're not crazy. Mine is located more between the ring and little finger knuckles. Also hoping I get used to this.

Thanks lol. 6 or 6 +?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Oh no! Carpal Apple syndrome! Extendous digitious

So far only pain have in hand and fingers is from dialing ATT to check if phone has shipped.

michikade

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in Texas
My hand doesn't hurt but sometimes my right pinky gets tired because of the way I rest my phone when typing if I'm not cupping it two handed (three fingers on the back, thumb in front and balanced on my pinky). This is more of a case issue than a phone issue, though (currently in a folio rather than a slim case so the left side is awkward to hold while open and not propped into the 'viewing position')

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Maybe it'd be best for you to go back to a smaller phone since the 6 is too big and causing you pains in your hand. I don't get people some times.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I got pinky fatigue and hand cramps for the first few days that I used my iPhone 6 plus. This was because I held it like I held my 5s which was with the pinky finger supporting the bottom of the phone.

Switched to a side grip where pointer finger supports back of the phone (with tip of finger resting on apple logo). Rest of the fingers wrap around the side of the phone. No more tired pinky or hand cramping.

One handed use all day every day

Normal iPhone 6 didn't have this problem. Same grip as 5s worked without cramping.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I got pinky fatigue and hand cramps for the first few days that I used my iPhone 6 plus. This was because I held it like I held my 5s which was with the pinky finger supporting the bottom of the phone.

Switched to a side grip where pointer finger supports back of the phone (with tip of finger resting on apple logo). Rest of the fingers wrap around the side of the phone. No more tired pinky or hand cramping.

One handed use all day every day

Normal iPhone 6 didn't have this problem. Same grip as 5s worked without cramping.

Thanks I'll give it a try, ya I've been tryin a few diff positions. It's weird how small the 4S feels/looks after using the 6 for an extended period of time.

Skittlebug

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Give it some time for your body to adjust to the change. I go through this every time I get a new car (with regard to my knee). After a few weeks my body adjusts and all is well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.