Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfgbg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Germany
So, I decided not to keep my iphone 6 and keep my 5s till the 6s comes out, but I have a major problem with my 5s, it has terrible screen interlacing.

And the other problem is, that my home button is acting up. It's not as responsible as it was when the phone was new.

I first ignored it when got the iPhone but it seems like the interlacing got worse and now I can easily see these lines in daily use.

The next Apple Store is over an hour away by car, so I decided to call Apple if any..
But how do I get the genius on the phone to replace my iPhone ? I can't really describe the problem to him..
Any advice?

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Not much help but it was hard for even me to get my phone swapped for interlacing when I actually went INTO the store.

asdfgbg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Germany
Describing it will be wasting your time. You need to take it too them to get it replaced.

Is it still under warranty?

Yeah, it's still under warranty. I know it would be better if I'd go to the store, but what if I drove over an hour to them and then afterwards they tell me they can't see anything and then all the trouble was for nothing..

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah, it's still under warranty. I know it would be better if I'd go to the store, but what if I drove over an hour to them and then afterwards they tell me they can't see anything and then all the trouble was for nothing..

If you are unable to demonstrate what the problem is then likely they would not see it if you mailed it to them either.

I am afraid you have little choice.

asdfgbg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Germany
If you are unable to demonstrate what the problem is then likely they would not see it if you mailed it to them either.

I am afraid you have little choice.

It's actually quite noticeable but I bet they won't see it and that's it.
Maybe if I tell them that my home button isn't working properly ? Is it likely that I'll get a new device ? Or would they just repair the home button ?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Take the phone in and see what they say. Unless you live super far away, I am not sure you are getting anywhere by spending time on what tactics you will use when taking the phone in. I have no idea what the Apple store rules in Germany are. Here, if interlacing is as noticeable as you say, they will swap it out (under warranty) immediately.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's actually quite noticeable but I bet they won't see it and that's it.
Maybe if I tell them that my home button isn't working properly ? Is it likely that I'll get a new device ? Or would they just repair the home button ?

Sorry but have no idea if they would repair or replace. It may not be new but you should not be able to tell the different between the two. Like the other poster said, German Apple stores might handle things differently than in the US.

I hope you get it worked out

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So, I decided not to keep my iphone 6 and keep my 5s till the 6s comes out, but I have a major problem with my 5s, it has terrible screen interlacing.

And the other problem is, that my home button is acting up. It's not as responsible as it was when the phone was new.

I first ignored it when got the iPhone but it seems like the interlacing got worse and now I can easily see these lines in daily use.

The next Apple Store is over an hour away by car, so I decided to call Apple if any..
But how do I get the genius on the phone to replace my iPhone ? I can't really describe the problem to him..
Any advice?

I have gotten my screen replaced with interlacing issues absolulely no problems, they will replace it for free if your under warranty but you need to show them good because it is pretty hard to see and some Genius's might say "i dont see anything its fine", there are actually a few "interlacing" wallpapers that will show your screen has interlacing easily, show them good examples or you might not get it replaced

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.