Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
I know currently one can convert an old Mac into a server relatively easily but is there is there a way to make a server usable on iOS devices like dropbox? Or is the better option buying hardware that has this feature built-in like some of the Synergy equipment?

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I know currently one can convert an old Mac into a server relatively easily but is there is there a way to make a server usable on iOS devices like dropbox? Or is the better option buying hardware that has this feature built-in like some of the Synergy equipment?

You can use WebDAV, which has support in the iWork apps on iOS. Setting it up used to be tricky, but I have not used it in awhile. Also, if your ISP is blocking port 80 outbound this won't work for you.

Option two is to setup a regular file/FTP server and use a good file management app on your iPad to transfer files back and forth. I really like a free app called Documents by Readdle for this. It does not support AFP unfortunately, but it does support FTP, SFTP and SMB. A lot of ISPs block the ports for SMB both inbound and outbound though, so S/FTP is really the only choices.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
You can use WebDAV, which has support in the iWork apps on iOS. Setting it up used to be tricky, but I have not used it in awhile. Also, if your ISP is blocking port 80 outbound this won't work for you.

Option two is to setup a regular file/FTP server and use a good file management app on your iPad to transfer files back and forth. I really like a free app called Documents by Readdle for this. It does not support AFP unfortunately, but it does support FTP, SFTP and SMB. A lot of ISPs block the ports for SMB both inbound and outbound though, so S/FTP is really the only choices.

Okay thanks I'll try these

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I love WebDAV. However, mine can only be accessed locally or over VPN for security. I also put a lot of security checks, audits, and logs in place to monitor stuff.

scho0ck

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
London
Hi,

No running it via the native Mac Server apache however there apparently is a problem when you use german characters but I could not reproduce the issue so far and there is also a community fix for it.

I'm also running "memcached" and "apc" installed via Macports to speed up php

Database wise I'm using MySql

Haven't found any bugs related to OS X yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.