Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hello Guys,

I have some very strange problems with my iPhone 4S (16GB), I got it from my friend and he doesn't know why the iPhone can't start anymore.

If I turn on the phone, I see the Apple Logo and after some seconds, the phones crashes and is restarting in a loop, always crashing on the Apple Logo. It looks like something is termenating the phone - is there a problem with the bootloader?:eek:

I tried several things:
  • Turn phone in DFU-Mode -> iTunes Recovery -> iPhone is restarting during the Recovery and loops
  • Turn phone in Recovery-Mode -> iTunes Recovery -> iPhone is restarting during the Recovery and loops again
  • Turn phone on and hold the upper volume button -> reboots after some more seconds
I tried to restore the IPSW file from Apple Server for iOS 7.1.2.

Here is a video showing the problem:
https://vimeo.com/107279805

I also can't restore any files with programs like "Wondershare Dr. Fone" - the program needs a phone which can boot up.

So, does anyone know any more tricks or something how I can "repair" the iPhone?
OR: Does it look like a "dead battery"?

Thanks!

Saffy66

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
NSW, Australia
Is it looping or does it just seem to have a black screen for a long time after the Apple logo disappears? Because quite a few of us are seeing a black screen for an extended period of time but it does eventually turn on. If yours doesn't it may be an extension of the same thing and I have to wonder if eventually mine won't turn on at all either.

I did have an issue last night when the phone was in sleep mode and I could neither wake it nor shut it down. Eventually got it going but I think this is a really serious issue with iOS 8 (or in my case, 8.0.2) that needs addressing and BOY do I wish I'd stayed with 7.1.2.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Was this phone ever jailbroken? If so, it was probably an issue with that. I had the same thing a few years ago during a deployment, but can't remember how I fixed it.

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hi Guys,
thanks for your replys!

I don't think that the phone was yet jailbroken - but It really looks like a dead battery.
I can't also charge the phone, if i plug in the AC, the phone is "starting" up and also loops with start-stop exactly like in my video above.
So yes, It's looping and I didn't update to iOS8 (I think there was iOS7 on it).

I will try to change the battery and will try to start it - I thought about it and it could also be the IC for charging the iPhone...
Lets see, I will get the new battery on Wednesday and I will report how it will work ;)

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hi Guys,

today I changed the battery from the iPhone (with a repair kit from ifixit.com).
But it looks like, that the battery wasn't the problem.
As you can see on the video, when I turn on my phone or try to restore it in recovery or dfu mode, the phones crashes...
Can anyone help me please - is this a "common" problem with the iphone 4s? :-(

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Yes, screen is black and iTunes Recognize it as "Recovery" ;-)
Also tried it in normal Recovery Mode.
When I want to deploy the update, the extraction is running and when it want to update the phone, it reboots, the apple logo is loading and crashes like in the video.

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hm ok too bad...
Maybe it would work with a new logic board (?), does anyone know where I can get one for the iPhone 4S 16GB? :)

waqasnasir

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
I have same issue

I have iPhone 4s 16GB and i have exactly the same problem. It started few days ago all of a sudden.
I don't know if upgrading to IOS 8 is the issue or it is some kind of hardware problem.
After restarting there is an infinite loop where the first time the Apple logo appears normal and then disappears , second time it comes with broken lines in the logo. At times i notice a horizontal line at the top or bottom of screen as well and at times a bright white pixel on the screen that doesn't have a fixed position.

I was desperate and everything i tried failed. One day i put the phone on charge for the whole night in that looping condition and when i woke up, it was in normal state and i used the phone for couple of days.
Infinite loop started once again when i restarted and that overnight charging trick worked again ( temporarily ).

I thought last night that maybe it has something to do with IOS 8 , so i tried to upgrade to IOS 8.0.2 by connecting to iTunes. During update the phone restarts and to my misery it again fell into restart loop and resultantly the upgrade failed leaving me with recovery mode deadlock.

I searched net and found a utility "RecBoot" that put me out of that recovery mode deadlock, but my phone is looping again at Apple Logo.

Now the current state is that my phone is on charge and it is looping and i will see after many hours that whether i am lucky to get it to boot or i am not sure whether there is any IOS on it or not since the last failure was during the update from IOS 8.0 to IOS 8.0.2

I am doubtful whether i should buy another iPhone or not :mad: This same phone has wifi issues since more than a year as well and the wifi chip stopped working one day due to over heating or what (i don't know) and i have been using it on 3G since then and now this new restart looping issue. I got it brand new and no jail breaking or any tampering ever since..

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hi waqasnasir, it's nice to hear from someone else which has the same problem like me.
But I don’t think it's a iOS8 problem, because as I can remember, on my iPhone is iOS7 running.
But at the moment, I'll try your charging trick - I will charge the phone the whole night and I well check it the next morning, would be very interesting what will happen.

Do you also try, like me, to change the battery?

EDIT:
Maybe it's an illusion: But I charging right now the iPhone, and it looks like the apple logo is showing longer as the charging time increases. Can you confirm this situation?

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hi Guys,

I found a temporary solution to access the phone!

I can't turn on the phone with plugged in battery. So I tried to unplugg the batterie and turn on the phone with plugged in charger - and it works!
When I re-plug the batterie during phone is on - batterie is accepted and I can disconnect the AC charger.

So, does anyone know this problem - is it possible to fix it? Is the AC Charger IC damaged?

Problem is: I can't flash a new firmware / restore the phone - because ONLY USB AC is to less - so with batterie plugged in it will crashes as usually - any ideas?

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
The Dock Port could cause such problems when turning the phone on that it will crash?
I could trie it, but it could also be a problem with the logic board, or what do you think?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, it could cause those problems. The dock port is much cheaper than a new logicboard. Always start with the cheapest part before moving on.

2celf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Your right with starting with the cheapest part.
But I tried it right now to unplug the Doc Connector from the Logic Board and try to start with battery - same problem as on the video.
So, it could also not be the dock connector, right?

waqasnasir

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Well continuing my experience from the point i left ... i put my phone on charger over night in the looping condition and nothing happened this time ..
I was hopeless and also as the new iPhone 6 is still not available here freely, so i didnt know where to arrange an alternate phone. Seemed a bad timing for the old iPhone 4s to die at a time when the new iPhone 6 is still not available.

Desperately, i put the phone on charger again in a vacant room and this time, left it for many days and after 3 days when i went there to check, i found it has booted up again ....

For me it is kind of unbelievable. It is working fine overall. I have no idea what is wrong with my phone and what is the cure but from now onwards i will neither let the phone to drain the battery to zero percent ever, nor i will restart it till the time i will buy iPhone 6 and threw this one in the dust bin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.