Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chunology

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I am in the EXACT SAME BOAT you are, OP. Die hard Android fan and definite flashaholic - custom ROMS are nice but not if you can't use all features of the phone.

Switched to the 6+ and am loving it more and more every day. No regrets!

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experiences! I was an android user just like you, and the reason I didn't switch to iPhone is simple: the screen was too small. Now apple offers 5.5 inch and the better thing is, if you are a Mac user you can use mac to answer iPhone calls and take over other things from iPhone (what they called continuity), I see no reason staying with android so I got a gray version of 6+ 64giga and everything is fine I love my iPhone.

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
I think this is the first time I've heard of droid monkeys jumping ship to iOS. Usually it's the other way around. Locally (especially at work), I'm often 'advised' or ridiculed because I don't switch to Android. My dad had one a few years back (Motorola Droid X2 I think it was). I still had my iPhone 3G at the time. He got so frustrated, he ditched it within 4 months and downsized to a clamshell. I thought the interface was clunky and didn't make sense. He now just got his iPhone 6 and loves it but I'm still waiting on my 6+.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I think this is the first time I've heard of droid monkeys jumping ship to iOS. Usually it's the other way around. Locally (especially at work), I'm often 'advised' or ridiculed because I don't switch to Android. My dad had one a few years back (Motorola Droid X2 I think it was). I still had my iPhone 3G at the time. He got so frustrated, he ditched it within 4 months and downsized to a clamshell. I thought the interface was clunky and didn't make sense. He now just got his iPhone 6 and loves it but I'm still waiting on my 6+.

Actually since the plus, many converted back to iOS. Many people I know went to android because they were sick of the small iPhone screen. Now with the plus, many are coming back.

Bkosher84

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I think this is the first time I've heard of droid monkeys jumping ship to iOS.

What is with the name calling? Do you think you look cool or something?

Regardless, I'm chiming in to, a convert from Android (LG G3 actually) to a 6 Plus. I am in the exact same boat.. Back when I didn't have a wife/house/career having a Android to play with and mess around with was really fun, but now I need something that like everyone else says.. Just works.. And now that Apple released a larger screened phone (finally) with less "industrial" look (smoother edges) I decided to jump ship to Apple and so far I haven't been disappointed.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Thanks for the post CJ,

Like some of you, a heavy rom flasher on Android for the last 4.5 years. I actually had good luck flashing the roms. Current one zero issues. But, also tiring of it and son and his wife are pushing me to go with the iphone (6+ for me). He doesn't like using any non-iPhone IM program. They are not local and we communicate that way most of the time. Your info was useful and being positive moves me a step closer to changing. :)

I was always aware of the "it just works" phrase and mentioned that to other Android Forum users as one reason to switch. So, hope my experience is as positive as yours. Forums tend to attract more of the negative/problem posts, so assuming the vast majority of 6 users are very happy. I always by my phone in the store after playing with the one I intend to buy. Unlike my son and his wife who order everyone as soon as available. They have been Apple/iPhone users for a couple decades. Hope to join them and everyone here.--:)

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
Another android convert here. Been using android since the GS2. Past phones in no order are GS2, thunderbolt, GS3, GS4, Samsung nexus, nexus 4, nexus 5, htc One+, htc one m7. I really wanted to get the Sony Z3C which is still being shipped as I write this. I decided to try the iPhone out and everyone is right. It just works. I still hate the fact that it's locked down and I have to use iTunes for everything. I did fine myself not flashing as many ROMS as I used to hence the reason for my switching. I actually find that googles own apps work better on iPhone. I'm really enjoying my iPhone 6 128GB.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Yes, I thought about that when I rechecked your posted pic. I don't use Safari much on the iPhone. I use it extensively on the iPad and my Mac. I still don't understand why the home and lock screen use up so much battery. At any rate I'm happy for you.

What in the world do you do to be able to get that much battery life on the plus? I've turned off everything that can improve battery life, and the most I get is between 11-12 hours usage.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
you sound like me. Got tired of dealing with roms and rooting and always needing to make adjustments, just to have the phone function properly. I went the nexus and motorola route, along with lumia phones and now the iphone 6. Life is just so much easier when you run the stock os, regardless of the manufacturer.

+1000000

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
What in the world do you do to be able to get that much battery life on the plus? I've turned off everything that can improve battery life, and the most I get is between 11-12 hours usage.

It might be the fact that I don't talk much on my phone. The talk time would probably shorten it more. I mostly use it to check business emails and texting. I also use it access my client's files.

cultaddict

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
He'll be back. No doubt in my mind.
In fact, this post is probably either one of two things;
1 - written by someone who never even owned an android to begin with and is just completely made up.
2 - apple iPhones siri taking over control while it's owner is passed out in a drunken stupor due to binge drinking in misery after realizing what a rubbish decision they made purchasing an instrument of fine brainwashing abilities.

----------

Damn android predictive text! I meant to say - thanks for sharing, I wish I bought one too.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Any of you guys now running the 6+ try the latest, updated GMail on iphone and how does it compare to Android. I think it is now optimized for the 6+.

Retiring from flashing, most of my use will be phone calls, GMail, IM's, Evernote, and a couple internet apps like the theScore, and news feeds. So will want to check those out the most. Would also like to use the great camera a lot more than I did on S4.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
He'll be back. No doubt in my mind.
In fact, this post is probably either one of two things;
1 - written by someone who never even owned an android to begin with and is just completely made up.
2 - apple iPhones siri taking over control while it's owner is passed out in a drunken stupor due to binge drinking in misery after realizing what a rubbish decision they made purchasing an instrument of fine brainwashing abilities.

----------

Damn android predictive text! I meant to say - thanks for sharing, I wish I bought one too.

Heh, reading this post actually almost made me go take a picture of it to prove I had one. I didn't even read that last bit.

Here's the old girl anyway:
561ns9W.jpg

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Few questions, I haven't been on iphone since the 4.

Can you go to a website and download a pdf? A menu from a restaurant for example.

Can you go to a website and download a video? A mp4 of a recorded presentation for example.

Can I use drive, dropbox, box, etc if I want? For picture backup.

Trying to figure out what I need to adjust if I switch. I'm a habitual switcher, but I would hope to keep the 6 at least 12 months since I'm spending a little more $ than usual.

Last edited:

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
Best wallet case for the iPhone 6. I pre-ordered one in black.
Which color did you pre-order?

Link if anyone is interested: http://thenoduscollection.com/access-case/

I went brown myself. I like the natural look. If anyone's interested, you can use the code "FBTEN" minus quotes in checkout for another 10% off the preorder price. Mine ended up being £35.99.

Few questions, I haven't been on iphone since the 4.

Can you go to a website and download a pdf? A menu from a restaurant for example.
You can save PDF's to your iBooks library on the device.
Can you go to a website and download a video? A mp4 of a recorded presentation for example.
Not sure about this. I've never tried it.
Can I use drive, dropbox, box, etc if I want? For picture backup.
iCloud's photostream feature pretty much does this for you. Any picture you take is automatically sent to your Mac/PC. From there I suppose you could back them up to dropbox or any other service as well.

Last edited:

ChubZ

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I am in the EXACT SAME BOAT you are, OP. Die hard Android fan and definite flashaholic - custom ROMS are nice but not if you can't use all features of the phone.

Switched to the 6+ and am loving it more and more every day. No regrets!

I second this as well. I was an Apple guy up until the 4s. I wanted more from a phone and android was delivering what I wanted, bigger screens, removable batteries and expanded storage. I dabbled here and there with the ip5 and iP5s but nothing more than a few days at a time.

I've got just about every flagship android phone from every vendor. (Yes I know, that's incredibly costly but hey, that's what i Like). I've noticed over the past few years Samsung has grown stale with the S4, Note 3 and S5. Meaning the touchwiz interface really kills the experience for me. I was always downloading third party launchers etc.

LG has come a long way and my work phone is actually the LG G2 and wouldn't trade it for anything. battery life is outstanding and has a decent camera. I also have the LG G3 and while I'm mostly positive about the phone I do have some issues with it mainly the 2k screen. Not worth the battery drain honestly. 1080 screens are more than fine.

I have the HTC One M8 and it's a well designed phone except for a couple of flaws that bugged me. First, the length of the device. The bezels on the phone really detract front he beauty of the phone. It's just as actually taller than my LG G3 and it's screen size is half and inch smaller. There is definitely room for improvement. The second issue i have is with the 4 Ultra Pixel camera. The camera is capable but really has issues with bright objects and off color reproduction. Not to mention HTC still is using plastic camera lens covers that scratch with ease. I'm on my second M8 because the first one, the camera lens cover cover scratched even while being in a case. it looked like sandpaper hit it.
If you do a google search, there are a ton of people that had the same issue. IMO, if you're going to be build a quality device, then you don't skimp out. Software wise, hardware wise and build quality wise..

That's why I ended up with the iPhone 6+. It got almost everything I wanted, right. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it's bigger than my galaxy note 3. Outside of that, Apple nailed it. That's why i'm back on the Apple mothership.

Of course....i still have plenty of Android devices to play with when I get the itch. This will be the first time that I pass up getting a major release phone when the Note 4 comes out. I will be waiting to see what Google Drops with the Nexus 6 though.

JunBringer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
Hey look, it's another Android guy! I'm here because they put out the 6+ (I love big devices) and they put 128GB as an option. I've been hoping for this for awhile. Mine is still on order so it could be another month but I'm looking forward to trying out iOS since I've been gone since the 3GS.

I'll still use my Nexus 5 until I get a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact or maybe an Htc One (M8) Max or something, we'll see. I've been carrying two devices since the Nexus 4 launched and I also used a Note 2. I've always wanted to have both Android and iOS and falling into the ocean with my Xperia Z Ultra and it's busted flap expedited the whole thing. Looking forward to posting more!

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Sooooooooooooo.

What did you do since Dec. 2007 when you registered. What? 7 years? Tell me. What did you do?

Just.

Trolllllllllllllll????:D

Good job crossing over the perennial bridge.

I tried Blackberry and Android OS all while owning iPhones since 2007, and Apple really has it's game together overall versus other platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.