Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
With iOS 8 and Yosemite releases and bugs being pushed to users non-stop these days, I see the words "clean install" in pretty much every second comment.

Has anyone ever attempted to scientifically quantify this supposedly "fresh" feeling of removing all your programs and then spend hours to download and set them up again?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Good question. I haven't done a clean install since 2009. I've been through 4 iPhones since then and have been restoring from backups all these years. Now I'm on iOS 8 on an iPhone 6 and don't have any issues. I'm a skeptic of clean install, I doubt there is any benefit over restoring from a backup.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It would be hard to test in a rigorous manner, especially given the essentially infinite range of third-party software that's available. I believe that a clean install is a good way to get rid of old junk, though it's time-consuming. I do it about every second major OS update.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
In my experience, it's a noticeable difference in machines going from much older OSs - e.g., Snow Leopard to Mavericks, for example, in my case.

I've done both, and from now on will do only clean installs just for peace of mind later. it does make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.