Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
We have iPad 1, iPad 2 and an iPad 2 issued by my son's school. These three are only used by my kids since hubby and I have rMinis.

I've been thinking about selling iPad 1 since its 2 kids: 3 iPads but for the selling price I might as well keep it.

How do you revert back to iOS 7?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
We have iPad 1, iPad 2 and an iPad 2 issued by my son's school. These three are only used by my kids since hubby and I have rMinis.

I've been thinking about selling iPad 1 since its 2 kids: 3 iPads but for the selling price I might as well keep it.

How do you revert back to iOS 7?
The bad news is that you don't/ can't.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
My wife has a 2 and I have a 3 that I bought on launch that still runs great. My wife's iPad 2 has been running like crap after iOS 8. Because of that it made me start contemplating upgrading her since its been rumored that a new iPad may be coming out. Of course I might too!!!

I've upgraded my phone. I've been debating getting a MBA 13" to replace my MBP 13" 2010 because it would travel better. Everything still works great but it just feels like it time to upgrade everything and be good for another 3-5 years. Its fun to buy new toys every now and then!!!

Last edited:

jbs-horn

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
I have 2 iPad 2's that would both still be going strong except that one of them is now on iOS8 (8.02) and now it is virtually worthless. Slow, crashes, difficulty installing apps, etc. Apple's own message boards are full of irate customers still on iPad 2 now on iOS8. So if you have an iPad 2 and are thinking about upgrading to iOS8 then DON'T DO IT!!!

I was having the same problems and was really fed up with the iTunes Store app not downloading updates. I mentioned the problem to an Apple tech support rep who, after determining that I had done everything else, told me to connect it to iTunes on my computer, make sure I have a current backup, and reinstall the entire system. Even after the backup was restored, it seemed to fix the problems. My iPad 2 is running iOS 8.0.2 without a glitch. It isn't even stuttering. I had previously installed the update as new, so I was surprised that the complete restore worked, but it did. I'm typing on it now.

If I had it to do over, I would probably not upgrade to 8, but if you've done so, don't despair.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Aye iOS8 seemed to produce a few problems here too but after a few days use it seems to have sped up. (Upgrade, not fresh install for that matter!) Nowhere near as fast as on my 5 and 5s phones but I wouldn't expect it to be.

The bit of lag and severe hanging on some games will push me towards iPad Air 2 though I reckon, provided there's a decent enough spec boost to future proof it a bit more.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Everyone who is having issues, there is two things to do. 1. Do a fresh install of iOS 8 through iTunes.

2. Wait for iOS 8.1 which apparently improves performance on the 4S, so it should do the same on the iPad 2 as they are both A5, 512 MB ram (In fact the iPhone 4S has a slower processor more pixels to drive)

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Mine works fine on iOS 7 so I won't be upgrading for a while (though I probably will eventually). My parents love the iPad so they wouldn't be too happy if it stopped working. The iPad 2 does everything I need and the battery life is perfect so I don't feel the need to upgrade.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I have an iPad 2, and plan to keep it still. It has a cracked screen and more dents and scratches than a teenagers car but it still works like a charm. The only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't have GPS so I'll be getting a new iPad when they release them so that I can use it as a chart plotter on my boat.

Oh, and it bugs me that I upgraded it from iOS 6 to 7. Based on that experience, I'll never put iOS 8 on it.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I still have a launch-day iPad 2 that I used heavily and it still has good battery life and is useful for most of my stuff, it's on iOS 7 and I will probably not update to 8.

I got an iPad Air in January so that's what I mostly use.

I should have sold the iPad 2 but kept thinking there must be something cool I could use it for, besides backup. Any ideas? Glue it on a kitchen cabinet door??

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
I've had a launch day ipad that I replaced right away for a light bleed issue. But other then that my ipad 2 is still serving me well. I felt no need to upgrade to the latest models. I'm sure ios8 will be the last upgrade option for iPad 2 users.. I will be looking in 2015 to see if they have anything that will catch my eye. I really like Touch ID and the lighting connector, on my 6 plus, that would be a great addition to my next ipad. Until then my iPad 2 is still pushing along. Who else's ipad 2s are still kicking?

Although you say it will be the last iso, are you running iso 8?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Another iPad 2 (cellular) purchaser - on launch day. Still runs perfectly well and used heavily daily. It is truly a wonderful tablet. Haven't upgraded to iOS 8 and don't think I will.

However, I will be watching with interest what Apple introduces later this month.

TRJMacNoob

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
Yeah I love my ipad2 until I downloaded ios8 - now it's sticky and laggy and I dislike! Too late to downgrade back to iOS 7 so will have to suffer until something better comes along with maybe 2gb ram!??

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.