Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
If you're a comics and magazine reader like me, the rectangular shape of the iPhone 6 Plus is still not the right display for this kind of media. Comics and magazines do not occupy the entire screen, and interactive magazines are reduced to non-interactive ones.

I love my 6 Plus for what it is but it's still not a replacement to the iPad mini (at least) as others are saying. :(

Last edited:

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Yeah. I have a full iPad, but its basically the same deal. While its for sure better watching video and reading on the 6 plus than the 5, its still better on the iPad simply because the screen is bigger. But if you're on the go, the 6 plus is fine.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Yeah. I have a full iPad, but its basically the same deal. While its for sure better watching video and reading on the 6 plus than the 5, its still better on the iPad simply because the screen is bigger. But if you're on the go, the 6 plus is fine.

I don't mind watching movies on the 6 Plus, as a matter of fact, I love watching movies on it! I'm more sad about comics and mags on the elongated screen.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah I feel the same way, but since I do not have an iPad or plan on getting one soon, the 6 Plus works fine enough for me. What I do is zoom in on a comic book enough to fill the screen and just use my thumb to pan back and forth slightly to read the far right edge of the pages. Not the most elegant solution but it actually works pretty well.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
IMO even the Mini isn't the right size for comic books. Full sized iPad or bust!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Don't mean to derail, but it's somewhat related. What are some free magazines/newspapers etc worth checking out in Newsstand? Or all the good ones subscription based?

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
If you're a comics and magazine reader like me, the rectangular shape of the iPhone 6 Plus is still not the right display for this kind of media. Comics and magazines do not occupy the entire screen, and interactive magazines are reduced to non-interactive ones.

I love my 6 Plus for what it is but it's still not a replacement to the iPad mini (at least) as others are saying. :(

I had the very same feeling when testing the 6+ for work. I really wanted one for my personal device, but I do way too much one handed work I was afraid I would get too frustrated. So I'm hoping they'll announce the new iPad Mini with TouchID on the 16th and that will be my new magazine/book/comic reader.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
IMO even the Mini isn't the right size for comic books. Full sized iPad or bust!

That's why I included '(at least)' on my original thread...the iPad Mini, although smaller than the full sized, is at least the right shape. :)

----------

Don't mean to derail, but it's somewhat related. What are some free magazines/newspapers etc worth checking out in Newsstand? Or all the good ones subscription based?

If you're a science fiction/action/horror film buff, try 'Total Film'. I believe they have a few editions for you to sample. But $0.99 a month for a cool interactive magazine is a small price to pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.