Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheComposer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Sup, just wanted to know that, what's the time (in previous jailbreak tools) they have took to jailbreak an IOS version?

:apple:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No, no average time.

Consider that the people who do this do it for free on their own time. Apple has fixed exploits as they've gone along which makes each successive jailbreak that much harder to accomplish.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
That said, I believe we got an iOS 7 jailbreak around Nov/Dec of last year, and iOS 6 jailbreak in Jan/Feb of the year following it's release.

So if they have the same ability and luck as prior years, I'd say we'll have one by January - hopefully sooner!

iOS 8 introduced a lot of low level changes, and seems to have quite a few bugs ..

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
They probably already have one. They just aren't going to release it until 8.1 or maybe even 8.2 so they don't waste it. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Huh? You could research the time it took for a jailbreak after each major iOS release, then take the... uhh... average of those times?
Oh sure, I could do the work for the OP. But that's something that the OP could do himself.

Unless you want to do it for us? I don't care to do it, so I'm not going to.

I think the meaning was clear though. The OP was asking if there was any generalized amount of time that he could count on. I.e., in general a jailbreak is released three months after a major iOS release. That's the kind of thing the OP was looking for.

As we all know it doesn't happen that way. iOS 7 jailbreak came on Christmas day. iOS 6 jailbreak took until February 2012. iOS 5 had two types of jailbreaks, each released differently. Before that I wasn't there but my understanding was that there was no standard time either that anyone could set a watch by.

TheComposer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
"Oh sure, I could do the work for the OP. But that's something that the OP could do himself"

That statement can easily disregard every single forum on the web, since Yahoo Answers, Tom Hardware, this one, etc.

But got my answer already, thanks to the dude who let me know!!

:cool:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
"Oh sure, I could do the work for the OP. But that's something that the OP could do himself"

That statement can easily disregard every single forum on the web, since Yahoo Answers, Tom Hardware, this one, etc.

But got my answer already, thanks to the dude who let me know!!

:cool:
Don't take that the wrong way as it wasn't directed at you. I understood what it was you were asking (not an average, but a specific amount of time that applied to all jailbreaks released). My comment was directed to the poster that was telling me I could do the research on all the time it took to release a jailbreak for each version and then average it.

That wasn't your question and my comment was intended to point that out to that poster. No offense meant to you.

reltm

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
This is precisely the kind of question social scientists look at when they employ predictive markets. Some defense intelligence agencies have experimented with them (though they were reprimanded by congress for "betting" on questions about when people think the next terrorist attack will take place). They don't perform well in all cases, but predictive markets can yield surprisingly accurate results. It usually can't be just a poll though: guesses have to be essentially wagers where something is on the line (ie reward for the right answer and sufficient penalty for a wrong answer).

Of course the answer exists, much like guilt or innocence in a trial. and we will all know the actual answer in the next few months.

Asking about the average (though arguably the median would be better) is a pretty good baseline for predicting a future event like this.

My guess (with only my hefty reputation on the line lol) is for December. Seems in line with previous years.

TheComposer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
This is precisely the kind of question social scientists look at when they employ predictive markets. Some defense intelligence agencies have experimented with them (though they were reprimanded by congress for "betting" on questions about when people think the next terrorist attack will take place). They don't perform well in all cases, but predictive markets can yield surprisingly accurate results. It usually can't be just a poll though: guesses have to be essentially wagers where something is on the line (ie reward for the right answer and sufficient penalty for a wrong answer).

Of course the answer exists, much like guilt or innocence in a trial. and we will all know the actual answer in the next few months.

Asking about the average (though arguably the median would be better) is a pretty good baseline for predicting a future event like this.

My guess (with only my hefty reputation on the line lol) is for December. Seems in line with previous years.

Thanks man!!, this is what I was looking for.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
There isn't an average time. The time has gotten longer in pretty much every generation since the 3G.

Nowadays there aren't as many devs involved in iOS hacking (I guess they're getting bored of it), and Apple has gotten better with security. Considering there hasn't been even a little bit of chatter about the jailbreak, I'd be surprised if we got it before next year

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
There isn't an average time. The time has gotten longer in pretty much every generation since the 3G.

Nowadays there aren't as many devs involved in iOS hacking (I guess they're getting bored of it), and Apple has gotten better with security. Considering there hasn't been even a little bit of chatter about the jailbreak, I'd be surprised if we got it before next year

I'd say there are still lots of devs, the landscape has just changed. I also wouldn't say it's accurate that the wait time between a major iOS release or new device and a jailbreak has vastly increased year over year - it's been all over the place. The 4 saw a jailbreak only 6 weeks or so after release, where as the 4S took months. iOS 7 was jailbroken faster than iOS 6, ect.

I also wouldn't worry about "chatter". Pangu came out of left field and shocked everyone, and could do the same this time around too.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
The iPhone 5 was released with IOS 6 on Sept 21 2012. I just checked my receipt and I got my iPhone 5 on Feb 4th 2013, the day after the jailbreak was released.

For 3 months I had been using an iPhone 4 with a shattered screen waiting for the jailbreak so I could upgrade, and it was a fine day indeed!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Is there an average time beween the release of an IOS version and it's jailbr...

Hopefully they want until 8.1! We need those bugs fixes, plus new features. At least 8.1 has betas.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The iPhone 5 was released with IOS 6 on Sept 21 2012. I just checked my receipt and I got my iPhone 5 on Feb 4th 2013, the day after the jailbreak was released.

For 3 months I had been using an iPhone 4 with a shattered screen waiting for the jailbreak so I could upgrade, and it was a fine day indeed!

Too funny...I bought my iPhone 5 on Feb. 5th that year--same thing, had been waiting on the jailbreak to get the new phone. I wonder if Apple saw a surge in sales that week? :D

Much as I'd like to see it sooner, I'm guessing after the first of the year. And once again, I'm holding off on buying a new one until at least that point. I'd be surprised if any released before 8.1 is out, no sense in wasting exploits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.