Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semrawr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
My mac keeps freezing for several minutes at a time and I've even had to resort to holding down the power button a few times just to reboot the computer. I really only use iTunes, surf the web, and play World of Warcraft on it and I've never had any issues until about a month ago.

I'm pretty computer illiterate so I don't really know how to fix or diagnose whatever the problem is, but come this September I'll have had this particular iMac for 2 years.

I've downloaded every update I can, iTunes or otherwise and nothing is working. Halp please? :confused:

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010
You could start by going into Utilities>Disk Utility and selecting your hard drive, hitting repair permissions and also verify disk while you're there, see if that comes up okay.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to give a bit more info. Which OSX version are you running? Hit the apple in the top left and select 'About this mac' and it will tell you there.

semrawr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Okay, I'm just going to copy and paste since there's so much. Sorry again, I'm not very good with computers.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
Serial Number (system): QP8330E9ZE3
Hardware UUID: A647B31D-A564-57CE-937A-E798315254B8

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Your OS version is not there.

Go to the Apple menu :)apple:) and select About this Mac. The window will say Mac OS X and have the version number below that.

Did you do the Disk Utility | repair permissions step suggested? Actually, you should insert your OS disc, and Restart while holding down the C key. Then find Disk Utility | repair permissions and run it.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
In my experience, running the operations for Disk Permissions is better done within the OS. The Mac OS Install DVD isn't going to know what permissions were set by software updates.

semrawr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Your OS version is not there.

Go to the Apple menu :)apple:) and select About this Mac. The window will say Mac OS X and have the version number below that.

Did you do the Disk Utility | repair permissions step suggested? Actually, you should insert your OS disc, and Restart while holding down the C key. Then find Disk Utility | repair permissions and run it.

It says version 10.5.8

I did do the first suggestion, and it's still freezing randomly. It actually feels like it's freezing for longer periods of time

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010
It says version 10.5.8

I did do the first suggestion, and it's still freezing randomly. It actually feels like it's freezing for longer periods of time

You should run the permissions repair a few times if you've never done it before. And in future remember to run it every once in a while, I run it every 2/3 days a couple of times over.

Did the 'Verify Disk' report come back ok?

Also, you might want to pick up Onyx for Leopard and run everything in the cleaning tab, without restarting until you've ran every section of it.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I'd be careful with recommending permissions repair as universal "issue curing" procedure. It's mostly placebo. Sometimes it may help, but in most cases it does not change anything. But ofc it will not harm your system. Also don't bother yourself with Onyx - if you're not "power user" it will not do much for you. That's IMHO and YMMV ofc ;)
Instead of repairing permissions i suggest to verify your HDD.
OP, download some temperature monitoring tool such as Temperature Monitor :) or iStat (this could also read fans speed). Freezes could be related to overheating.

semrawr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
It's still freezing, but it does seem a little better. DLed iStat but not sure what I'm looking for?

Thanks for all the replies :)

GazeofaGeisha

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
St Albans
Hi

Another computer illiterate here with the same 24" Intel iMac (10.5.8) which completely locks up whenever i try to open apps like iPhoto or iMovie.

Have tried most of the suggestions above and my HD seems to have a clean bill of health.

DL-ed iStat as suggested but haven't a clue how to interpret the results. Besides, since the results were cleared off the screen I cannot work out how to run it again. From memory it seemed my optical drive was spinning at only 699rpm(?), much slower than all the others - is this normal?

Also can anyone advise how to find out whether I simply need more RAM? Might that provide a solution? I can use the Net without my iMac freezing for long spells and can even play vids stored in Downloads for a limited time but have not been able to even open iPhoto or iMovie, both of which I've used heavily in the past, for about a month now.

Any help gratefully received.

GazeofaGeisha

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
St Albans
Hi

Another computer illiterate here with the same 24" Intel iMac (10.5.8) which completely locks up whenever i try to open apps like iPhoto or iMovie.

Have tried most of the suggestions above and my HD seems to have a clean bill of health.

DL-ed iStat as suggested but haven't a clue how to interpret the results. Besides, since the results were cleared off the screen I cannot work out how to run it again. From memory it seemed my optical drive was spinning at only 699rpm(?), much slower than all the others - is this normal?

Also can anyone advise how to find out whether I simply need more RAM? Might that provide a solution? I can use the Net without my iMac freezing for long spells and can even play vids stored in Downloads for a limited time but have not been able to even open iPhoto or iMovie, both of which I've used heavily in the past, for about a month now.

Any help gratefully received.

I'm still looking for help. PLEASE!
Since posting above I have upgraded RAM to 4 GB but it has made not a jot of difference. iMac still locks up frequently, but a clear pattern is emerging. It's usually okay for anything up to 15 mins after I have switched on but after that it depends on what i am doing. If i simply use the internet it may keep going for an hour or two without freezing, but whenever I attempt to increase usage by accessing applications or even just the Finder it quickly locks up. The longest i have lasted using apps is about 30 mins. Once it has frozen for more than a few minutes I have no option but to power off and wait an hour, if I try sooner I run the risk of getting the flashing folder at start-up.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
Serial Number (system): YM9011CNZE4
Hardware UUID: 1551B843-5D73-50DE-A338-D57C52C131D4

Purchased March 2009 so warranty has expired.

I have used 192 GB of 297 GB capacity, roughly 66%.

My temperatures seem normal, mostly around 45-50 degrees, max 53 degrees for the HDD down to 24 for Ambient. Fan speeds are: CPU 1200rpm, HD 1217rpm, Optical drive 699rpm.

Any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED! :)

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
does the spin wheel keep spinning and the freezes get happen faster and longer each time. i also rand diagnostics with disc utility and a hardware check using the startup disc,nothing appeared wrong. because that happened to me and wham! hard drive gone so just in case if u can back everything up while the computer still boots up. dont end up like me!

Snookik

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009

Whenever the options above don't solve anything i suggest:

1. Get your recovery CD out of the old box. (if you don't have this, make one yourself *cough* pirate *cough*)
2. Do (if needed) a backup of important data on your HDD
3. Put in the Disc into your computer and hold the 'c' key on startup. If this does not start the computer from disc, use the left Alt key on startup and select the disc from there. Ik the disk in stuck into your computer... hold down the left mouse button on startup to eject it.
4. Follow the instructions to format your HDD and install OSX on it.
5. Enjoy your (almost new) iMac. Install all apple updates and do things with it where it is made for

Note: This only helps when it is an software issue. Since we don't know it here, it is a possible solution.

THIS ANSWER IS ALSO AN POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOT THE OP

Last edited:

GazeofaGeisha

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
St Albans
Many thanks Dr Kevorkian and Snookik for your help, much appreciated.

In order to carry out a complete system back-up before attempting to reformat the HD I purchased an Iomega eGo 2T external HD from Amazon the other day but guess what? Each time I try to back-up it gets so far then - freezes! :mad: and therefore fails. AARRGGHH ! ! !

But tbh I don't fully understand what I'm doing with the external HD so my next move will be to contact Iomega and see what they advise before trying anything else.

PS - FAO Gregg - thanks for your interest but as I mentioned on May 3,
'Since posting above I have upgraded RAM to 4 GB but it has made not a jot of difference.'

mondovision

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
temps ?

CAn someone tell me the ideal temps for everything on imac intel please ?

I downloaded Temp Monitor but not sure what is good or bad on there.

Thanks in advance.

colettesaxby

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
I have had the same issue for about 3 years!! I have replaced the HD, reinstalled and basically done everything suggested but to no avail!!! I find that if I keep it running with a website that auto runs (like webmail) it is ok, but if I leave it stagnent for a minute it freezes! I am a bit of a geek and have tried for years t work this out but cant solve it?!?!?!?

mickoc

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
Mac book pro freezing

I just installed an elctra 250gig ssd new battery and upgraded to 8 gig ram in my 2009 mid 15" MBP. The problem I now have is the mac keeps freezing after very little time. It means I have to do force turn off every time. it took me a while to get the ssd working properly and I am afraid I may have done some damage to the mac. Has anyone else experienced constant freezing and where they able to resolve it. Thanks in advance.:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.