Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

js1997

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
I just ordered my first MacBook Air (13") which will be in my hands Friday. Yay! I've been looking at cases and sleeves, trying to decide what to get to protect my new purchase. What would you recommend? One or the other or both together? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Tony78228

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
Texas
I just ordered my first MacBook Air (13") which will be in my hands Friday. Yay! I've been looking at cases and sleeves, trying to decide what to get to protect my new purchase. What would you recommend? One or the other or both together? Thanks for your help!

good question, I'll be buying mine in a few days, and I had thought of getting a clear case from Speck

js1997

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks. I didn't see a specific answer to my question, hence the post. I was wondering if anyone found a reason to use both a case and a sleeve or if one or the other was sufficient. I already have a carrying bag for it. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Thanks for the help!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I enjoy the Incase sleeves for my MacBook's. I've had several and they always had a good, snug fit and they didn't break the bank. I bought one off eBay for my 11" Air for $10 and it should be here soon. As far as cases for the computer, I usually don't use them because if you don't clean them out often enough and dirt gets trapped in the computer it can scratch it. Aluminum is a soft material and I've seen friends MacBook's get scratched up badly by not cleaning off the computer.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks. I didn't see a specific answer to my question, hence the post. I was wondering if anyone found a reason to use both a case and a sleeve or if one or the other was sufficient. I already have a carrying bag for it. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Thanks for the help!

I'm thoroughly confused by this post. To me, bags, sleeves, and cases are all synonyms. :) Maybe a sleeve is smaller than the rest, but they all seem to serve the same purpose. Why would you use two things at one time?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^^I carry my MBA in a sleeve that I keep in a bag. I also keep peripherals in that bag (with a sholder strap) - like a surge protected power strip, external HD, wireless mouse, USB sticks, charger, and some other electronic bits and pieces. My MBA is used 90% for when I travel. When I reach my destination and just want to take the MBA with me, I pull the MBA and the sleeve out of the bag and I'm on my way.

BTW, if you had clicked the link I referenced above, you might have been able to figure that out.

Lou

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
I have this

Case Logic SSMA-313 Welded Sleeve for 13.3-Inch Ultrabooks / MacBook Air / MacBook Pro Retina Display (Black)

I love it, it is snug and fits inside the laptop compartment in my back pack. It is expensive on Amazon right now so it may have been discontinued.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.