Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafatmit

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
Washington DC
Hi!

For those who changed the inverter board: could you SEE that there was something wrong with it? Something burn for example?

Also, before changing it, can I be sure that it is the problem, and not the bulb, or some cable?

My screen just went dark suddenly, I heard come very weak sound and there was a slight odor of burned. I can see everything on my computer, but it is very very dim.

Thank you for your help!

I couldn't. It looked fine but replacing it fixed the problem.

R. Mutt

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
I just replaced the inverter on my MacBook 13" in 3 steps in 15 minutes because the screen went dark.

I took me no more than 15 minutes start to finish and all I needed was a small phillips head screwdriver. And really, I only needed to go through 3 steps of that link. Remove screen cover, remove 3 screws, pry off plastic hinge cover. Replace inverter, put plastic hinge cover back on (you have to be a little rough to get it back in place), put 3 screws back in, snap in screen cover. That's it! It's all flush, lined up and looks as good as new. And my screen works again! :)

I used this method to replace the inverter board on my Macbook because my screen was going dark. It seemed to work when I replaced the inverter and tested it, but the problem resumed after I reinstalled the hinge cover. The screen still lights up when the Macbook is first started and at various other times (e.g. when you change the brightness or plug into an external monitor), but it eventually goes dark again. I've now installed two new inverters with the same result. This leads me to believe that either: 1) the problem is not the inverter, which the evidence seems to contradict (in that the new inverters do seem to work when first installed) or 2) something about reinstalling the hinge cover is causing the problem (however when the hinge cover is removed the inverter boards do not resume working) or 3) there is a hardware problem with my Macbook that is 'breaking' the new inverters... any thoughts or advice?

Quicksmile

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
HI
I have a macbook unibody 13 (Aluminum) and I want to change the inverter cable ! can you please help me through it ? all of instructions are for macbook 13 white (not aluminum) ,how can i change it with my self ? please help my ,it is very urgent !

cabby12

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Don't recommend the second method mentioned in this thread.

I am also having this same backlight issue. My piece of Crapple is not even two years old. So first off, let be direct an EPIC FAIL towards Apple for making such a pretty, delicate machine that is about as durable as I hadn't bought a inverter, but after reading through some posts, I thought it seemed simple enough to remove the hinge cover and simply check the connections.

If you are considering the method described in this post (accessing the inverter through the hinge cover), think twice. I am a savvy computer tech (I've been building and servicing machines since I was 16). Perhaps my hinge doesn't move as much as those of others who have attempted this technique, but after 30 minutes of frustration, I never did manage to remove the hinge cover and access the inverter. But what I did manage to do was scratch the piss out of the front and back of the cover and unseat the back slots in such a way that I can't properly reseat it. One of the slot arms on the back also snapped.

I don't recommend this method. But what I do recommend is that Apple make a better product in the future.:mad:

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I am also having this same backlight issue. My piece of Crapple is not even two years old. So first off, let be direct an EPIC FAIL towards Apple for making such a pretty, delicate machine that is about as durable as I hadn't bought a inverter, but after reading through some posts, I thought it seemed simple enough to remove the hinge cover and simply check the connections.

If you are considering the method described in this post (accessing the inverter through the hinge cover), think twice. I am a savvy computer tech (I've been building and servicing machines since I was 16). Perhaps my hinge doesn't move as much as those of others who have attempted this technique, but after 30 minutes of frustration, I never did manage to remove the hinge cover and access the inverter. But what I did manage to do was scratch the piss out of the front and back of the cover and unseat the back slots in such a way that I can't properly reseat it. One of the slot arms on the back also snapped.

I don't recommend this method. But what I do recommend is that Apple make a better product in the future.:mad:

I bought a broken macbook with a flicker problem. The hinge cover it a pain to get off. I Did get it off with no damaged but I pinched the pink wire putting it back on. I had to take it apart a second time to fix the wire.

cabby12

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
I am also having this same backlight issue. My piece of Crapple is not even two years old. So first off, let me direct an EPIC FAIL towards Apple for making such a pretty, delicate machine that is about as durable as ... I hadn't bought an inverter, but after reading through some posts, I thought it seemed simple enough to remove the hinge cover and simply check the connections.

UPDATE: I took my 2009 white MacBook into the Partridge Creek Apple Store (MI) and they agreed the inverter and invert cable needed replacement, and quoted me $140 for the repair. Fair enough, I suppose.

Well, I got a call this morning. They said the new inverter failed to fix the issue, and the next step was a complete screen replacement. I could have this done at the store for $550+, or have it send out and done for $280. After expressing my displeasure with the arrangement, they agreed to waive the labor costs ($100). So as it stands, it's being sent out for a screen replacement at a cost of $180. I'm still not entirely happy (a $1,000 Mac laptop should be problem free for at least 3 years), but if I can get my Macbook back and be problem free for another couple years, I suppose I can look past this. But lesson learned ... don't buy ANY Apple product without AppleCare because you definitely CAN NOT count on the quality and reliability of their products, which is a real shame (and sham) because they are such nice products to use.

We'll see where things go from here. The guy at the Apple store assured me this would fix the problem, but I still feel the need to keeping my fingers crossed.

cabby12

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Picked my repaired MacBook up last night. Not thrilled about the $180 repair cost, but I am happy may Mac is back to its old self. And I do appreciate the polite and speedy service I received from the Apple Store.

djab9991

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
reinstalling the bezel

I replaced the inverter by removing the lower parts of the bezel and the hinge cover. I thought it was too difficult when I tried to reinstall the bezel, so I looked at the tabs. I found that the female parts of the tabs came off with the male parts on the bezel. In trying to reinstall the bezel, the female parts were being crushed and blocking reinstallation. The simple fix was to use a small flat-head screwdriver to remove the female parts, fix the crushed ends with the flat head, and put the female parts back into the screen. After that, the bezel snapped into the screen with ease.

nickshippers

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Still Trouble...

This posting was very helpful. I have a 2008 Macbook 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo and very often my screen when bright will all of a sudden dim to the lowest setting while the computer is in use. I have also noticed done the following: (1) When cold, the computer will go to the lowest dim several times and needing me to boot up several programs to "get it warm" before it dims less frequently. (2) I have purchased an inverter AND the power cord and went through all the instructions to replace both, but I am still having the dimmer issue. (3) To resolve each time I have to press the buttons to decrease the brightness all the way to 0 then increase it by one. If it holds, I slowly increase it over time. Otherwise, it flickers then goes out again and I have to repeat the process.

I am so done with trying to figure it out. My warranty is gone and I have already spent my limit to fix the things suggested.

Does any one have any other ideas? Could I have gotten a bad inverter or power cord? Should I just sell it on eBay for parts or does someone recommend which online service might help?

zlectronic

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
check the backlight

Have you check the backlight ?:)

Hi!

For those who changed the inverter board: could you SEE that there was something wrong with it? Something burn for example?

Also, before changing it, can I be sure that it is the problem, and not the bulb, or some cable?

My screen just went dark suddenly, I heard come very weak sound and there was a slight odor of burned. I can see everything on my computer, but it is very very dim.

Thank you for your help!

bamba

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
I have the same dimming problem on my 2007 Macbook. It just went dim and I could only get it back to light by closing the lid or by going to 0 on the lightness and then back up, at first this helped but soon I would only have the screen light for about a second.

I took it to Apple and the guy there instantly said it looked like an inverter problem. Now, more than 20 days later they finally called me to say that I needed to replace the screen and that it would be €270. I'd rather buy a new one than invest that much in an old laptop that is bound to have a bunch of more problems in the future.

But do you think they even tried replacing the inverter before deciding I would need the whole screen replaced or what did they base their decision on? Changing just the inverter would obviously be a lot cheaper.

pabzlito

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Old thread, I know, but...

Does it matter which Macbook I get the inverter from? I have an early 2009 2ghz MB, can I use any 13" inverter, or can it be narrowed down to a specific vintage? Thanks!

anna92

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
I'm not sure if anyone keeps up with this forum, but I'm running out of options (and patience). I have a 2007 Macbook (model A1185). I can't seem to get an answer to this, but hopefully I can here, so here's my question: how do I check if the inverter is really the problem? If it's the light itself, where is the bulb located, and how do I figure out if that's the issue (also, how do I repair it)? I ordered the lightbulb itself online and got it in the mail. I have removed the screen and the plastic piece that covers the inverter.

My problem started several months ago. The backlight on my screen would stop working and the screen would go black if I had the laptop angled a certain way. I'd have to bend the screen at different angles and find the right one in order to keep the light on. I never looked into the problem because I didn't want to have to take it apart all over again, since I had just recently taken it apart to replace the screen. Finally about two weeks ago, I was adjusting the angle of the screen when suddenly the screen went black and didn't light up again at all.

Please help! #

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm not sure if anyone keeps up with this forum, but I'm running out of options (and patience). I have a 2007 Macbook (model A1185). I can't seem to get an answer to this, but hopefully I can here, so here's my question: how do I check if the inverter is really the problem? If it's the light itself, where is the bulb located, and how do I figure out if that's the issue (also, how do I repair it)? I ordered the lightbulb itself online and got it in the mail. I have removed the screen and the plastic piece that covers the inverter.

My problem started several months ago. The backlight on my screen would stop working and the screen would go black if I had the laptop angled a certain way. I'd have to bend the screen at different angles and find the right one in order to keep the light on. I never looked into the problem because I didn't want to have to take it apart all over again, since I had just recently taken it apart to replace the screen. Finally about two weeks ago, I was adjusting the angle of the screen when suddenly the screen went black and didn't light up again at all.

Please help! #

Sounds like the inverter cable to me (not the inverter itself). If changing the position of the screen, chances are the tiny cable has worn down.

There's no way of knowing if it's the inverter/screen though. The only thing I can suggest is trying parts in ascending order of cost - try the cable, then the inverter board, then finally the LCD (you can't replace the bulb).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.