Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
So I have an USB extension I have used for over two years. Why all of a sudden will it give me this message on my iPhone 6. Even though it still charges? And could this be harmful?

Last edited:

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Any reason why all of a sudden it's doing this. And is it bad for my phone?

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Maybe something to do with amperage or voltage degradation when there is an aftermarket extension? Also, corrosion between contact points in the connectors could trip the warning.

Does iphone 6 require more wattage? I can see if this was ipad but it's an iPhone and I have had it for 3 weeks prior to this warning.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Every so often if the voltage and current aren't just right (i.e. pop out of spec momentarily), you can see this message. I've even seen it with a stock iPhone charger and cable once.

If it doesn't happen often, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
This has happened since I upgraded my 6 to 8.0.2. When it charges up to 100%, the "not supported" message pops up. While I'm using an OEM Lightning cable. So annoying.

It's only happened with 8.0.2, so I'm hoping it's fixed with 8.1 next week.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
This has happened since I upgraded my 6 to 8.0.2. When it charges up to 100%, the "not supported" message pops up. While I'm using an OEM Lightning cable. So annoying.

I still haven't upgraded. I'm still on 8. It has to be something new. Nothing wrong with the cable. Plus these cables are only 3 ft. I need a longer cable. It didn't do it for the first 3 weeks. Now it does it every day. Not sure what solution there is. If it's not hurting the phone then I will keep doing it. But I don't wsnt to mess up the phone or battery.

BuffordT

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
So I have an USB extension I have used for over two years. Why all of a sudden will it give me this message on my iPhone 6. Even though it still charges? And could this be harmful?

It's NOT the extension. Many people have reported this with OEM charger and cable. It's a bug on the 6/6 plus.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I find it's completely random every time.... I can almost guarantee mine refuses to charge when below 20% as a way of punishing me for using some cheap cable rather than a gold plated Apple cable!!

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I find it's completely random every time.... I can almost guarantee mine refuses to charge when below 20% as a way of punishing me for using some cheap cable rather than a gold plated Apple cable!!

I'm using an apple lightning cable but adding a USB extension cord since the 3 ft cord is a joke. Really is pisding me off. Would it do this if I connected lightning to anything. Like laptop or clock radio that has USB Jack.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I get that too when I'm charging my phone in the car using a cigarette lighter USB adapter or when I have my phone connected on my desktop. Maybe it thinks it's not factory oem because it's connected to oem adapters.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Mine charged to 99% or 100 with it plugged in. But not sure when message displays as its charging while i sleep

reason I ask is because mine gave this message with the OEM cable and once it reached (and stayed on for a bit) 100% it would display the message.

I came to the conclusion that the issue only happend when I had LTE on and was streaming data.

once I turned 3g on (only) the message never showed up.

Jaheira12

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
I brought an iPhone 6 recently, it charges just fine with the charger supplied, but the other day I brought 2 new cables one cheapy from KMart the other a good certified brand from Dick Smiths Electronics, both of them come up with the this accessory may not be supported message and do not appear to charge the phone...the genuine cable still works just fine!

This is a big issue for me, if Apple have done this deliberately so that I have to buy their branded cables only and cannot use any other...it is likely I will never buy Apple again, every thing I have read so far people seem to think it is only happening with cheap or damaged cables, but it seems deliberate to me - I can plug my expensive OEM apparently certified cable in and not be supported and not have it work and then plug the apple cable into the same outlet (same apple charger unit) and have it work just fine...:eek:

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
To those that are getting this message: does this happen when you charge the device with a computer or with the charger?

Jaheira12

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Both,

I have tried it with the power charger supplied by apple with both the OEM and apple cord and only received the message when using the OEM cord, I have tried plugging both into my laptop with the same result :mad:

I have also tried with a non- apple power point adapter and had the same result also...it is definitely the cord...

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010

I see the exact same thing with a 6 plus, good to know I am not alone. Same deal -- OEM apple charger/cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.