Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
There are countless reasons to Jailbreak, not the least of which is the highly flawed iOS.

While iOS is by far the best option in regards to smartphone software, there are still numerous shortcomings/flaws that Jailbreaking fixes. Here are my top 7 reasons you should be Jailbroken and why I could never go back to stock iOS.

1. SwipeNav - This tweak enables you to swipe left from anywhere in the screen to return to the previous menu/window. Even on the iPhone 4S this made the user experience so much smoother and more efficient, but then with the 5 and now the 6? It's an absolute necessity. You simply can't reach the top half of the screen and reachability helps but it's still an awkward workaround and impedes the otherwise smooth flow of iOS. No, SwipeBack is not the same thing, not even close.

2. DeleteWord - Shift: Delete to delete entire words at a time. Huge enhancement. I feel handicapped not having this feature.

3. Zephyr/Multitasking Gestures - Allows you to swipe up from the bottom to close a window. Enormously faster and more efficient than hitting the Home button every time.

4. Sleipnizer - Allows you assign a variety of R, L, and U gestures to a host of different functions in Safari. I got so used to making a small swipe of my finger to close a tab or open a new one that it is like torture every time I go to use it on my 6 and have to take 3-4 steps to accomplish what I was able to with 1 smooth swipe. One of the cooler functions you can assign is close all tabs but current.

5. OpenTabBG - A function of Sleipnizer, this lets you hold down on a link and automatically opens in a new tab in the background. One, simple step. Stock iOS requires holding down very firmy (low sensitivity) and then carefully selecting "open in background" from a completely unnecessary useless list of other options, one of which, Add to Reading List, directly below it and you constantly accidentally click it. If you are lucky and patient enough to click the right one, it then has a pointless and time consuming animation. This requires anywhere from 2 steps to 5-6 steps.

6. CallBar - Simply replaces intrusive incoming call screen with subtle bar at the top of the screen which you can either swipe to answer or ignore it to ignore and continue browsing.

7. ShaketoUndoKiller/NoSpot - Removes two incredibly annoying and unnecessary features, Shake to undo and Spotlight search, which are activated accidentally far more than they are deliberately.

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I think you grow out of it over time as the phone becomes more important to you. I love to tinker but I'd rather have all the security updates and stability of the latest OS. The phone it just too important for that stuff.

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
I used to root all my android devices. Like others have mentioned, I just grew out of it. It's part of the reason I left android and came to iOS.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
I used to jailbreak.

Stopped after ios5.

Stability was one thing, although carefully selecting tweaks I never had massive problems that I couldn't fix. It was more hassle than I wanted.

With iOS 6 the notification center (even as flawed as it was) gave me enough usefulness not to feel the need to jailbreak. iOS 7's control center kind of sealed the deal.

I still pay attention to the jailbreak scene, looking for something I can't live without, but haven't found it.

I do still miss BiteSMS a little bit though. #

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Is this post a parody of one of those infomercials where the narrator says something like "are you tired of dealing with all those papers?" while the guy on screen is struggling and falling down while trying to handle two pieces of paper?

Swipe to go back as a universal OS feature does potentially sound useful, but the rest doesn't mean anything to me. I don't think I'd bother to jailbreak just to try that one feature. I'm not saying I don't see why people do it, I just don't personally care enough to bother.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I personally can't wait for iOS 8 JB

For one, LET ME place my icons where I want Apple - Home Screen Designer is a killer JB tweak

Other JB apps I enjoyed as well are iFile, OpenSSH, Savegram, Springtomize3, etc…

Also, there are some really talented PS gurus who create amazing themes

Cant wait to mod and theme again!! I miss my MMI fam already haha

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
These shortcuts/ enhancements cannot be denied.

Good thing you're not universaizing your opinion in a snotty way.

Others have already covered it. People tend to grow out of jailbreaking as the importance of a stable and reliable device becomes a higher priority.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I used to jailbreak.

Stopped after ios5.

Stability was one thing, although carefully selecting tweaks I never had massive problems that I couldn't fix. It was more hassle than I wanted.

With iOS 6 the notification center (even as flawed as it was) gave me enough usefulness not to feel the need to jailbreak. iOS 7's control center kind of sealed the deal.

I still pay attention to the jailbreak scene, looking for something I can't live without, but haven't found it.

I do still miss BiteSMS a little bit though. #

What about the 7 tweaks I mentioned. Did you even read them?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Good thing you're not universaizing your opinion in a snotty way.

Others have already covered it. People tend to grow out of jailbreaking as the importance of a stable and reliable device becomes a higher priority.

I'm not being snotty it's just annoying when people are oblivious to/ignore blatantly superior ways of doing things.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm not being snotty it's just annoying when people are oblivious to/ignore blatantly superior ways of doing things.

Yeah, you are actually. Telling people that they're either in denial or don't know any better if they aren't doing the exact same thing you're doing is snotty.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, you are actually. Telling people that they're either in denial or don't know any better if they aren't doing the exact same thing you're doing is snotty.

Regardless of the tone you are getting from my post, it's just annoying when people are oblivious to/ignore more efficient ways of doing things.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.