Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crhendo

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
I should emphasise that I have been building my iTunes library since the beginning of time......

Music 10,140
Movies 1,409
TV Shows 7.458

Total Size 8.5TB

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    117 KB · Views: 370
  • 2.bmp
    80.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 3.bmp
    68.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 4.bmp
    878.2 KB · Views: 267

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I was curious as to what everyone does once there music collection exceeds the capacity of there iPod or phone?

I am currently in the process of listening to the 500 greatest albums of all times according to Rolling Stones magazine. Adding those albums in addition to what I already own brings my library to about 150gb of music which is just over what my iPod can hold.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I have what turns out to be a fairly moderately sized library:

Songs: 10,573; 71.92 GB
Movies: 182; 238.95 GB
TV Shows: 2181 episodes; 1,175.94 GB

I was curious as to what everyone does once there music collection exceeds the capacity of there iPod or phone?

I just sync a subset of selected artists onto my iPhone which I normally use for listening, but my iPod classic lives in the console of my car with everything on it if I happen to want something I have omitted to put on my iPhone.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I just sync a subset of selected artists onto my iPhone which I normally use for listening, but my iPod classic lives in the console of my car with everything on it if I happen to want something I have omitted to put on my iPhone.

The issue I run into is that I have more music than my iPod classic can store.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

I have a smart playlist that grabs the songs I listen to most often that are rated 5 stars. That automatically puts about 1600 songs on my 60 Gb iPod touch out of 64000+ tunes from my library. Then there are the standard playlists that feature an artist (Dread Zeppelin, Mike Oldfield, etc.) and audiobooks which bring the total to 3,456 tracks on the iPod.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I'm curious, do you guys really listen to that many thousands of songs...? :eek::eek:

Ever see those enormous private libraries the wealthy assemble? The kind that require a rolling ladder to reach the top shelves?

Collectors get the books because they want to own what they enjoy reading. But they may not live long enough to read all the books more than once.

That's what I have in virtual space. Enough books, music, and video that I'll have shuffled off the mortal coil before I experience it all twice.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Ever see those enormous private libraries the wealthy assemble? The kind that require a rolling ladder to reach the top shelves?

Collectors get the books because they want to own what they enjoy reading. But they may not live long enough to read all the books more than once.

That's what I have in virtual space. Enough books, music, and video that I'll have shuffled off the mortal coil before I experience it all twice.

Those enormous private libraries, one can read even after going thru the zombie apocalypse - no need for electricity...

But for digital libraries, once you're out of batteries, they're inaccessible... :p:p

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
currently sitting at 390gb and that's mostly just movies :cool:

----------

I understand the need (want) to store a library of data. But, honestly, if someone has an iTunes library of multiple terabytes of data, how useful is it to anyone other than the Library of Congress?

I have a fairly large DVD and BluRay collection that I have not added to my iTunes library. But, there is a big world out there to explore. How many hours should someone spend watching or listening to anything?

Trust me, I enjoy watching and listening to many songs and movies I own. I just think many people are too focused on their media instead of actually experiencing the real world while they are on it.

It's not so much that, I have certain things in my iTunes Library I haven't watched, a lot of it is stuff I've watched at some point a long time ago. It really just is about acquiring a library, so I don't have to pay the rip off merchants down at the video store, who just went broke from charging "New Release" fees on movies that were more than 6 months old.

I've brought the video store to my Apple TV and should I ever want to watch something I can just go to it with a few clicks on my Apple Remote. I have freedom, and I never have to set foot in a chain owned video store owned by Video Ezy/Blockbuster, etc ever again in my life...

Video stores are run by blood sucking parasites who charge too much for old movies... good riddance, the whole model is not feasible in the 21st century. In a world with internet, and legal options to collect large libraries of movies you have watched as well and also a world where we can collate our own video libraries based on years of personal hoarding the video store has served its purpose.

The video store is kaput and for all the better, I can source movies I would have never dreamed of owning all thanks to the internet.

Last edited:

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009

For a while I created a playlist for each device and each device would only sync music on its playlist. I moved items in/out of a device's playlist while paying attention to the playlist size.

Now, I don't bother. I bought an iPod Classic nearly a year ago and haven't even opened it.

The real trouble is that iTunes varies from unwieldy to unusable so I use Finder for management and whatever player happens to be convenient. Generally, I play anywhere from a single song to an artist's catalog (or subset of) so there's not much to manage in the player at once.

Once I gave up on managing the i-devices, I found it easy to abandon iTunes too.

I'm sitting at ~1004gb for ~169974 songs.
Not too big, not too small.
(Approximate because I have to use Applescript to count it.)

ETA: No movies, no TV. I manage those separately and use a combination of Finder & Plex.

Last edited:

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I'm sitting at ~1004gb for ~169974 songs.
Not too big, not too small.
(Approximate because I have to use Applescript to count it.)

ETA: No movies, no TV. I manage those separately and use a combination of Finder & Plex.

ha yes very humble library size I have about a tenth of that.

Springer2014

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
I have two 1 TB external drives full of music. Each of them is a separate iTunes library ( ext1 and ext2), in addition the drive in my laptop currently is at a little over 400 GB.

I have rather a lot of old Jazz and Blues.

writingstone

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Until they go solar...

I have 200 gig of music & 300 in movies on a new 1tb drive, thinking of replacing my cddrive with another 1tb.

Solar MacbookPro Patent...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/28/apple-patents-solar-powered-macbook-with-two-sided-display-and-rear-touch-inputs

jeffdavidson

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
553,418 songs - 1586.3 days - 2874.14 GB

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 6.19.07 AM.png

Drobo FS NAS with 5 x Western Digital 10,000-RPM Velociraptor 2TB Drives

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm curious, do you guys really listen to that many thousands of songs...? :eek::eek:

Yes. My collection has grown over maybe 36 years. I seem to be slowing down a bit, only about 400 songs added in the last year. It does take two or three years to go once through all the songs in the library (and in that time it has grown again). But yes, things will be listened to again and again. That's a difference between music and videos; music you can listen to again and again and again.

----------

By saying "largest iTunes library" you mean all items in the library purchased through iTunes?

Of course not. What does it matter where you purchase something? When I want a record, I look what it costs as a CD, download from Amazon, download from iTunes, and I get what's cheapest. Everything goes through iTunes Match anyway, so it doesn't matter where it comes from.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Geez, all THAT music out there - looking for CD quality copy of

Jack Jones - L.A. Breakdown (and take me in)

if you've got it, can you tell me where I can get it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.