Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Surprised so many are saying they don't notice a difference in durability with such a short duration for comparison.

Only way to do that objectively would be compare the 2 after a year or so of use. Unless you are willing to actually test it each until destruction.

I've always had a lot of questions about whether Cornings "gorilla glass" was used or just something similar from Corning and or others. But I guess that's for a different thread.

If people are stating they went 2 years without noticeable scratches on their iPhone 5, but after 2 weeks, their iPhone 6 is showing visible scratches, then I'm not sure giving it another 23 months to test this theory is going to change things for the better.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I am sure that the glass from the iphone 6 and 6+ is gorilla glass, there is no other company in the world that could offer Apple the same quality of screens and millions pf screens.

Why would Apple change from Gorilla Glass to other type of screen?

In the Gorilla Glass page they have this info:

ION-EXCHANGE PROCESS

Ion exchange is a chemical strengthening process where large ions are “stuffed” into the glass surface, creating a state of compression. Gorilla Glass is specially designed to maximize this behavior. The glass is placed in a hot bath of molten salt at a temperature of approximately 400 degrees C. Smaller sodium ions leave the glass, and larger potassium ions from the salt bath replace them. These large ions take up more room and are pressed together when the glass cools, producing a layer of compressive stress on the surface of the glass. Gorilla Glass’ composition enables the potassium ions to diffuse far into the surface, creating high compressive stress deep into the glass. This layer of compression creates the surface that is more resistant to damage.

Corning’s innovations don’t end on the manufacturing floor. One of Corning's greatest strengths is our focus on developing the technology behind the glass. Our research has delivered such life-changing innovations as the glass envelope for Edison's light bulb, the glass envelope for cathode ray picture tubes (CRTs) and liquid crystal displays (LCDs), as well as the first low-loss optical fiber capable of use in telecommunications. We continue to investigate new glass compositions and process innovations at our three major research facilities: Sullivan Park in Corning New York; Corning Technology Center in Shizuoka Japan; Corning Research Center Taiwan in Hsinchu, Taiwan.

Scientists in these facilities work closely with the Gorilla Glass commercial, engineering, and manufacturing staff to anticipate industry trends and deliver new or improved glass technologies that add value to customers’ products and processes. Through this ongoing process, Corning Gorilla Glass continues to lead through glass technology innovation in the fast-paced consumer electronics industry.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If people are stating they went 2 years without noticeable scratches on their iPhone 5, but after 2 weeks, their iPhone 6 is showing visible scratches, then I'm not sure giving it another 23 months to test this theory is going to change things for the better.

Ugh. Reread the first sentence of my post please.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Mineral glass can handle keys, coins, knives and even some sizeable force of impact. But it won't save you from the random grime/fine quartz/grainy particles found in everyday life

Oh and here's my own link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgKLwGnOZs

Oh, I get it, you don't know what "resistant" means as it's used in this context. Scratch resistant does not mean that something is scratch proof any more than water resistant implies waterproof at all depths or flame resistant equals fireproof. It's okay though, I hear that functional illiteracy is pretty common...

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Oh, I get it, you don't know what "resistant" means as it's used in this context. Scratch resistant does not infer that something is scratch proof any more than water resistant infers water proof or flame resistant equals fire proof. It's okay though, I hear that functional illiteracy is pretty common...

Oh so its insults now.

Now i know not to waste time on you any further.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I am sure that the glass from the iphone 6 and 6+ is gorilla glass, there is no other company in the world that could offer Apple the same quality of screens and millions pf screens.

Why would Apple change from Gorilla Glass to other type of screen?

You start by basing that off something Apple typically doesn't do, rely on one company. Different manufactures are used making the same parts throughout the rest of the iPhone too.

GT Advanced Inc in combination with help from Apple were unable to make sapphire screens in time for the 6, offsetting that load to one manufacturer would be nearly impossible. Causing GT Advanced to go bankrupt in the end.

Then you have Gorilla Glass 3. When the iPhone 5 was released it was rumored to use GG2 which was the latest and greatest from Corning. Then corning introduced GG3 making GG2 obsolete. However when the 5 came out it didnt show the benefit of GG3 (thickness) as it was still the same as now and then obsolete GG2.

Not saying Corning as a company doesn't make the screens for iPhones. Just a lot of questions whether its their Gorilla Glass product. I believe in Steve Jobs book Corning was mentioned but nothing about which of their products they used.

Neither company has anything to gain by denying claims of Apple using Gorilla Glass however neither company has publicly confirmed they are either. What leads me to believe they have a lot less to do with the iPhone then rumored is lack of media coverage. In seconds you can find Apple confirming Samsung as an iPhone processor manufacturer and then you have the usual suspects, broadcom, qualcomm, texas instruments, sandisk, sharp, etc with large contracts but nothing but conjecture from Corning and even less from it being Gorilla Glass.

BTW I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There is already better glass then Gorilla Glass, confirming you use Gorilla Glass is confirming you don't use the best available albeit still very good.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I've always had a lot of questions about whether Cornings "gorilla glass" was used or just something similar from Corning and or others. But I guess that's for a different thread.

I've suspected that Apple uses Corning glass, but not Gorilla Glass specifically. Apple orders components in vast quantities, giving them more leverage to convince suppliers to create custom/tweaked parts for iPhone use.

Corning's Gorilla Glass website has a full list of "verified" Gorilla Glass products. Apple is notably absent from the list which includes LG, Samsung, and Motorola among others.

The other possibility is that Apple is unwilling to allow Corning to certify that its iPhone production is using the glass, whether for cost or secrecy reasons (maybe Apple doesn't want to reveal its machining techniques). Or Apple wants us to believe that its mobile phone glass is better and different even if it's not… who knows?

haulis

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I've suspected that Apple uses Corning glass, but not Gorilla Glass specifically. Apple orders components in vast quantities, giving them more leverage to convince suppliers to create custom/tweaked parts for iPhone use.

Corning's Gorilla Glass website has a full list of "verified" Gorilla Glass products. Apple is notably absent from the list which includes LG, Samsung, and Motorola among others.

The other possibility is that Apple is unwilling to allow Corning to certify that its iPhone production is using the glass, whether for cost or secrecy reasons (maybe Apple doesn't want to reveal its machining techniques). Or Apple wants us to believe that its mobile phone glass is better and different even if it's not… who knows?

There is also this line:

"Select device manufacturers have not been willing to provide Gorilla Glass model verification. In those cases, please ask the manufacturer directly or contact Corning here and we will do our best to help you."

Located on this page: http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/products-with-gorilla/full-product-list

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Apple's 2014 supplier list includes both Corning and Asahi Glass Co. Apple may refrain from disclosing which company won what contracts in order to avoid embarrassing either supplier.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Ugh. Reread the first sentence of my post please.

I reread your entire post and my answer still stands. You're lamenting that people aren't evaluating the iPhone 6 long enough prior to making determinations that it scratches more easily than previous generations. If an iPhone 6 shows scratches after 2 weeks, wouldn't one assume that after 2 years, it would have MORE scratches?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
They are scratch resistant, just not scratch proof, I am pretty sure "iom-strengthed glass" is just another name for Gorilla Glass

i got my 6 screen covered in Ghost Armor clear screen protector....I love this screen protector, perfect cutouts, perfect size, fits the whole glass display, had a guy at the kiosk did it, no air bubbles at all anywhere, complete clean and clear installation, it is flawless and you cant even tell sometimes that there actually is a screen protector thats how well installed it was(guy at the kiosk did it, put it in a heat box, popped all remaining other air bubbles/pushed them out)

I feel very safe and secure with this Ghost Armor protector lol I know it will hold up great and absorb alot of scratches over time instead of my screen

Honestly , literally there is not much you can do to protect your screen without a screen protector,

a OCD guy like me, where i never keep anything in my pocket with my phone but my phone, where I am always shaking off my pockets to get all lint/sand out before I put my phone in there so nothing can scratch it in my pocket, blowing on my phone sometimes throughout the day to get dust/lint off of it from my pocket, and being very careful where I place my phone (Never in a car cup holder etc) and even doing all this, all my smartphones that I had owned even with care like this, I always still end up finding micro scratches on the screen build up over the months, doesn't affect actual screen display like i dont see rainbow lines or anything like that, but still micro scratches all over the display, it is almost impossible to guard from really with no screen protector you honestly can't do nothing about it and it's not "cheap Apple" , its just not sapphire glass display lol. Your best bet is a screen protector, highly recommend if there is a kiosk by you where they could do the installation for you, that is much better

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Oh, I get it, you don't know what "resistant" means as it's used in this context. Scratch resistant does not infer that something is scratch proof any more than water resistant infers water proof or flame resistant equals fire proof. It's okay though, I hear that functional illiteracy is pretty common...

There always has to be one of you...

Last edited:

iphnhelp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Just noticed a scuff on the bottom left corner on the edge of the glass where it curves down. I have the apple case and of course this is where the screen is exposed.

Not sure if that would have protected it because not sure how it even happened. It's never in a pocket with anything else and it hasn't been dropped or hit. I'd love to know because at least if I dropped it or something I would be able to point to a cause.

Disappointing. I wish they could have gotten the sapphire working.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
The person I was responding to was being intentionally obtuse in an effort to troll the OP. In that vein I gave them all the deference they deserve...

Actually no i wasn't. You were just being presumptuous with a spice of insolence.

But hey, par for course on this site *shrug*

I could've worded things better in my original post but all i meant was that smartphone screens will always scratch (micro or normal sized) during everyday use unless cased/protected.

But meh, you're not the first...you won't be the last.

Congratulations on your 'deference'.

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
Agree, my iPhone 5 survived 2 years and the screen looks awesome.

I already have a small barely visible scuff on my screen after a week. Now I have a skin on the face. Never used 'emolita since the iPhone 3.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
After two years of heavy use of my iPhone 5 without any protection, there are just some very tiny minor scratches left on the screen. But after just 2 weeks my Brand New iPhone 6 + has plenty visible scratches and marks.

Apple Sucks!

This is true. I had iphone 5 2 years perfect condition and two weeks of ip6 its already got a huge scratch on bottom of screen and fell 6 inches to floor and has dent on bottom.

9to5mac.com says that the Wall Street Journal reported:

"Apple and GT linked up in a $578 million financing arrangement that transformed GT from a supplier of solar power equipment to a manufacturer of synthetic sapphire that was supposed to be used in Apple’s new smartphones.

The iPhone 6 rolled out with Corning Inc.’s Gorilla glass instead, and GT filed for Chapter 11 protection in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New Hampshire, giving only a sketchy explanation of its financial situation."

See http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/09/wsj-a...-over-inability-to-provide-iphone-6-displays/

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa

"Apple and GT linked up in a $578 million financing arrangement that transformed GT from a supplier of solar power equipment to a manufacturer of synthetic sapphire that was supposed to be used in Apple’s new smartphones.

The iPhone 6 rolled out with Corning Inc.’s Gorilla glass instead, and GT filed for Chapter 11 protection in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New Hampshire, giving only a sketchy explanation of its financial situation."

See http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/09/wsj-a...-over-inability-to-provide-iphone-6-displays/

Good find

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I reread your entire post and my answer still stands. You're lamenting that people aren't evaluating the iPhone 6 long enough prior to making determinations that it scratches more easily than previous generations. If an iPhone 6 shows scratches after 2 weeks, wouldn't one assume that after 2 years, it would have MORE scratches?

I'm sorry for your lack of understanding.

I said people that DON'T notice a problem need to give it more time to evaluate. Keyword is "don't".

You are debating something I never said that's why I asking you kindly to reread the post.

As for your question yes, if you notice starches already you will notice more with extended usage. Irrelevant since if you have scratches then you aren't someone that would argue they DON'T have scratches.

----------

I don't have access to the WSJ site. Can you list their sources for Cornings involvement, more specifically using Gorilla Glass?

All I can find is editorials but no direct link between them. That's a lot of money to pass between two public companies with no more then hear say.

Again I'm not aggressively arguing against this just skeptical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.