Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I have to ask, did you try to restore through iTunes, or even put it in recovery/DFU mode?
This is what I did (not sure if this counts as DFU)

On my first 6+ after it soft crashed to the white apple while making 2 phone calls (but oddly did NOT disconnect the call - I just couldn't hear the caller for about 30 seconds until it rebooted)

I did this:

- Settings - General - scroll to bottom - reset - Erase All

- Restored from backup

That did not fix it.

Other times the soft crash occurred besides phone calls:

- When using Yelp

- When using TouchID to unlock

- When using Google Now

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I am NOT one of those people who think everybody is a Samsung plant, but dang that's a lot of praise for Android in the midst of a post complaining about how your new iPhone died.

I think you just got a bad phone.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
After using both Android and iOS at the same time for 2 years, I've been wanting to write a side by side compare. Here are 4 things on the "pro Apple" side of the list.

1) Apple was the true innovator of this era of smartphones.

2) I love Apple's advertising. Always the best commercials, and some of the only commercials that I do not mute. Finally, commercials about technology that focus on the use cases - glimpses of how the product is actually used. I was horrified when I realized I'd have to buy an Android, because their ads were so... bad at the time. 2 years ago it was the hyper-masculine jumping robot Droid Max blah blah. I am a human not a robot.

3) Apple / the iPhone made spending $ for software FUN again. Before I purchased my first iPhone app, the last PC software I had purchased was maybe an anti-virus. Yawn.
Fun AND easy. I purchased financial analysis utilities for my Palm Treo, but getting it installed was like over the river and through the woods vs the 2 second App store process.

4) a new "wow" with the iPhone 6
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1791959/

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Bad units happen with any company. It is fallacious reasoning to think "I had a problem with an Apple or Samsung unit, therefore, the opposite must be better."

The exceptions are if you're basing this on clear trends and statistics, and if so, then Apple has the highest satisfaction of any company which tells you problem units and issues are a very small minority of cases.

The fact is every company has similar issues to some degree or another.

When I was a computer tech I had people tell me that "Sony laptops are the worst, always have problems, etc." then others would buy Sony and swear off Toshiba, etc.

Statistically, we got roughly equal amounts of every brand in for service often for issues people would swear off or bash competitor brands for.

For every "Apple let me down I am sticking with Samsung" stories there is an equivalent "My Note/S4/etc. crashes all the time and has tons of problems I am sticking with Apple" one.

Logically speaking, out of tens if not hundreds of millions of units built for either company, you're going to have some that malfunction.

Any individual experience/case doesn't mean one brand is better than the other.

My times with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6/6 Plus haven't been trouble free (I think I had one crash like that so far where all of a sudden the Apple logo came up and the phone appeared to have restarted on its own) but I understand technology isn't perfect -- even if you're paying $1,000 for it (as some people seem to think that if they pay a large amount, the item should defy the laws of physics and statistics and be 100% error free for its lifetime).

Doing a clean restore and/or swapping out the unit should do the trick and despite people online acting like its a crusade or some sort of torturous process to get a replacement, it's basically an hour or two out of your day (for anyone within quick driving distance to an Apple store) and another 30 mins to an hour playing with it to get it the way you like. NO BIG DEAL.

At least with Apple you get good service and can get a unit swapped out under warranty (not just within 14 or 30 days) instantly at a retail location. Try getting service like that from Samsung (I am not aware of any Samsung retail stores where this is done, nor am I aware of any retailers who would do that for you without a much bigger hassle than the OP was given in basically getting an instant replacement).

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
did i say a specific poster? You're just blowing things out of proportion same as the other guy.

Ironically, i think you guys need to get a life, rather then taking a statement to heart as you guys did.

serious much?

Couldn't agree more! This forum has a few members who jump to such conclusions as soon as Samsung or some other competitor are mentioned. I'm all for loyalty to a brand but maaaan lol.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
My brand new...

Your entire post is so incongruent, that i dunno know if you're actually being serious or just trying to be funny.

Phone breaks (happens) and you're given a new replacement on the spot. But apparently thats a problem.

Then you complain that you lost 4 days data even though you WILFULLY refused to back it up (no you don't need iCloud to backup your phone)

Speaking of not storing anything on someone else's computer i take it you don't use ANY of Google's services either right?

Then you go into marketing Note 2 features that can be found on pretty much any decent smartphone on the planet sans. (GPS/Tethering/Big high-res screen aren't unique/exclusive features)

Above all, if you liked the Note series so much why not just buy a Note 4 and keep your iPhone 5 for 'fertility planning'? Why buy the Plus.

I'm trying to understand what did they charge you for ? don't you have one year warranty ?

They didn't charge him.

Last edited:

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
your phone broke and you were able to get a free replacement the same day, less than a month after launch, and you're complaining?

Why can't something break? why can't a mistake be made? are we really that vain?

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I just hugged my iPhone 6 just a little bit tighter. No one should have to bury an iPhone.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Bad units happen with any company. It is fallacious reasoning to think "I had a problem with an Apple or Samsung unit, therefore, the opposite must be better."
Completely agree.

I believe in the powers of many to help solve a problem. I'm sure the answer is there if enough people with the same problem would describe what they were doing exactly when the crash occurred.

Side note related to cars, reliability, statistics, etc, check out True Delta http://www.truedelta.com/. I log all my cars' problems there in response to a once a 3 month email.

My times with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6/6 Plus haven't been trouble free (I think I had one crash like that so far where all of a sudden the Apple logo came up and the phone appeared to have restarted on its own)
What were you doing when that happened?

you complain that you lost 4 days data even though you WILFULLY refused to back it up (no you don't need iCloud to backup your phone)
What makes you think I don't back it up?

That's how I started with my original iPhone 6 plus - restored from backup of my iPhone 5.

In addition, before I backup to iTunes, I separately backup my entire iTunes directory to make sure I have a backup of the backup before I backup over it.

The people on this forum AND at the Apple Store suggested that I *not* restore from backup, but rather add the apps back 1 by 1 till I determine which app is causing the problem.

Above all, if you liked the Note series so much why not just buy a Note 4 and keep your iPhone 5
I already described that:

1) Contacts
With Apple Maps, I can "Add to Contacts" after finding something in Apple Maps.
Ironically and maddeningly, Google Maps / Android took away this functionality. It used to be a menu option after finding a POI. Yes, I have complained about that on the Google Maps forum. It's unbelievable they took away important features of Google Maps like that one. This makes planning trips much more of a PITA because I use the Note as a GPS.

2) Apple
I like and respect Apple as a company for the reasons I described above. I admire small design touches always present.
ex: on the iPhone 6's, how the screen is like a meniscus of glass attached to the phone. It feels cool.

3) Apps
Several apps I really like could not find on Android:
- Awesome Note, which makes Evernote or Google Drive look beautiful, and more importantly, makes them available while offline on a plane
- the fertility planner app I use
- Downcast

4) Risk reduction
Not having a phone when I need one could be a bad thing.
Not being able to tether when I need to could cost me $.

I use the Note 2 as my primary tether and GPS tool (because it has replaceable batteries). But occasionally my laptop won't tether to it. In those situations, my laptop usually will tether to my iPhone 5.
In terms of the 5 vs the 6 plus, battery life is the main reason to switch. There aren't enough compelling reasons to upgrade my Note 2 to the Note 4 to outweigh the cost that I can see now.

I do wish I could get faster tethering speeds.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Geez! Not everyone who says something about Android or Samsung on this forum is a troll. The OP had a problem. It happens. The OP got a new phone pretty easily. If there are certain characteristics of an Android device that someone likes, so be it. Everyone is different. This is a forum where people express themselves. Don't attack people if they have ideas that are different than yours.

However, the telling lack in this situation is this: The OP did not take it upon himself to secure his data by making the backups needed. It's fine that he didn't want to back up his data to iCloud; some people are paranoid like that (with the whole NSA thing, that is justified). However, that does not mean that he couldn't back up his data to his own computer. Because of that, and not doing such, the data he had was lost.

This is similar to people working on their term papers and theses, and blaming the computer for it crashing and losing all the data they entered instead of constantly saving their data to disk.

At some point, the user needs to accept responsibility for the inactions taken, and this is one of them.

BL.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
The OP did not take it upon himself to secure his data by making the backups needed. It's fine that he didn't want to back up his data to iCloud; some people are paranoid like that (with the whole NSA thing, that is justified). However, that does not mean that he couldn't back up his data to his own computer. Because of that, and not doing such, the data he had was lost.
No. I backup via iTunes ~ once a week. How many days of data did I say I lost?

I try to abide by the 3-2-1 approach to backups.
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/world-backup-day-the-3-2-1-rule/
(although I don't really have the backups in 2 different formats. i.e., not tape and hard drive technology.)

and backup to external drives, my favorite being the WD "My Passport" Ultra 2tb (now on Amazon for $109)

Favorite file syncing software is GoodSync http://www.goodsync.com/
I do file syncs vs backup to one big backup file to reduce risk in some proprietary backup format.

Twice a year the external drive goes to the Safe Deposit box.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
No. I backup via iTunes ~ once a week. How many days of data did I say I lost?

I try to abide by the 3-2-1 approach to backups.
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/world-backup-day-the-3-2-1-rule/
(although I don't really have the backups in 2 different formats. i.e., not tape and hard drive technology.)

and backup to external drives, my favorite being the WD "My Passport" Ultra 2tb (now on Amazon for $109)

Favorite file syncing software is GoodSync http://www.goodsync.com/
I do file syncs vs backup to one big backup file to reduce risk in some proprietary backup format.

Twice a year the external drive goes to the Safe Deposit box.

Once a week? Increase your frequency. That is too long to go without a good solid backup. But then again, I'm coming from the enterprise sysadmin world, where daily plus incrementals, or dailies outright are done.

In all honesty, you waited too long to take the backup. With especially how buggy IOS 8.x is, you'd warrant something more frequent than weekly backups.

BL.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
The iPhone backup is not in the iTunes directory. For location of the backup, see:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946
Thank you Night Spring!

If my laptop drive dies, wouldn't I still need the iTunes directory in addition to this one from your link: (I'm on Win 7)
\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
in order to fully recover my iTunes / iPhone related data from a drive crash?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Completely agree.

I believe in the powers of many to help solve a problem. I'm sure the answer is there if enough people with the same problem would describe what they were doing exactly when the crash occurred.

Side note related to cars, reliability, statistics, etc, check out True Delta http://www.truedelta.com/. I log all my cars' problems there in response to a once a 3 month email.

What were you doing when that happened?

I think I was just using Safari when it crashed. I don't remember exactly. I didn't pay much attention to it because in 1 min it rebooted and worked fine since that time. No big deal.

If it happened often I would definitely get my unit swapped out or do a full restore though.

I have seen enough of Android or Windows phones also having strange issues and some users needing to reboot frequently. While obviously not scientific evidence of anything I think it just goes to show that all brands have the same issues from time to time.

I would suggest that by looking at satisfaction scores, iOS has either less of them or they're less annoying to the users since they have the highest scores (presumably, if this was perennial, they wouldn't have a 98% or whatever high score they have). So I think iOS is still the best bet for anyone who hates dealing with that stuff.

Dumping one platform for another because you had problems with unit is completely pointless as your odds of having problems in the future are the same with any other platform you go to. And just because one platform worked well in the past is no guarantee that it will work flawlessly in the future.

So to me it just makes sense to pick the platform you're most happy using when things are good and stick with that.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have no love for android products, but I have to ask what sort of conspiracy crap are you smoking? Just because someone has a problem with an Apple product does not necessarily mean they're on Samsung's payroll, out on some jihad to bash all things with an Apple :apple: icon. All electronic devices regardless of their manufacturer are subject to defects and failure - that is a fact. Grow-up and get a life, and for god sakes pull your head out of your ass.

For the record, I love my Apple products: iPhone 6+, MBPr, iMac, iPad, AirPort and Apple TV because they have all been (for the most part) reliable and operate without major problems - far fewer problems than other computing/mobile hardware I've owned in the past.

I am tired of the "OMG SAMSUNG SHILL" posts too, but it's hard to read this "eulogy" as anything other than "Samsung did it better", all because she was unlucky enough to receive a bad phone.

So the phone broke. Concluding that the product is overall unreliable as a result of this unfortunate situation with one device is just preposterous. A similar issue could happen with any phone; sometimes there are duds.

OP can do and think what she wants, but the conclusions she came to just don't make a lot of sense to me.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I returned my 6+ today. Primary reason too big.

In the week that I had it. I notice some odd stuff.

- Would drop wifi (all other devices in home did not)
- Random restarts
- Loss of some settings or change in settings on restarts
- No accelerated scrolling ie can't flick up or down a page

Have no regrets for sending it back.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you Night Spring!

If my laptop drive dies, wouldn't I still need the iTunes directory in addition to this one from your link: (I'm on Win 7)
\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
in order to fully recover my iTunes / iPhone related data from a drive crash?

Yup. Backup both.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I returned my 6+ today. Primary reason too big.

In the week that I had it. I notice some odd stuff.

- Would drop wifi (all other devices in home did not)
- Random restarts
- Loss of some settings or change in settings on restarts
- No accelerated scrolling ie can't flick up or down a page

Have no regrets for sending it back.

Very odd. I can't say I've noticed any of these, although someone else mentioned about the scrolling. Is there an easy way to demonstrate what you're talking about there?

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Very odd. I can't say I've noticed any of these, although someone else mentioned about the scrolling. Is there an easy way to demonstrate what you're talking about there?

No as I said it was random. Happened maybe 3-4 times but has never happened on my 5. Enough for me to say, wtf. So really no way to say if it was ios 8, the device or both.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Could it be a possibility that the Ghost Armor was applied with to much water and soap and it got into the phone? Just a thought.

libu

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
My brand new 128gb iPhone 6 Plus $949 + $75+ tax gave up the ghost to the white apple crash screen. Permanently.

During the first quarter of Thursday night football Colts v Texans, my iPhone 6 plus crashed to the white apple screen and would not budge:

All the previous times it crashed to the white apple, it came back within a minute or so. This time, pressing the home key did nothing.

8:45pm, 15 minutes before closing, I made it to the local Apple Store. The first genius said I'd need to make a genius bar appointment. The second genius on the way out told the first genius to just exchange it.

I lost 4 days of contact changes and photos. (No, I don't store my contacts or photos on someone else's computer i.e., the cloud)

I now have a nice shiny new iPhone 6 plus. I did *not* restore from backup, even though I now have hundreds of iPhone apps to re-install 1 by 1. But I probably won't re-install many till I know the crashing won't start again. I'll stick with a core set and rely on my Note 2 for the rest.

This experience with the iPhone 6 Plus makes me appreciate my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 even more. First purchased in November 2012 after the Apple 5 Maps fiasco ensured I'd get lost on my next trip, it has navigated me through a dozen countries in 2 years without a single problem. Before actual experience, my perception was Android would be less stable than iOS. It has been 100% stable.

The 2 of 500+ iOS apps I haven't been able to find Android equivalents of is:
- Awesome Note - a brilliant iOS app that makes Evernote or Google Drive look great
- Period Planner - a fertility planner iOS app. I'm sure there are Android options for this, but I'd rather use the one where I have all the historical data...

I'll probably always have an iPhone of one flavor or another. But I think my short term strategy will be to rely on my Note 2 more, at least until I know the iPhone 6 plus won't keep crashing. The biggest thrill beyond the Note 2's big high res screen has been its ultrathin replaceable batteries that weigh nothing and provide another entire day of use. All without hanging a kludgy cable and charger plugged in while trying to use it. The surprise usability feature of the Note 2 is the "invisible back key" - that area of the phone to the right of the home button. You tap it and it goes back to previous screen. Great for navigating between apps. Or even within apps when the "back" button can be located in different places top left, bottom left and sometimes even top or bottom right, oddly enough.

My iPhone 5 - only use cases became simplified to phone calls, contact list, and fertility planning app. The Note 2 does everything else (GPS, tethering to my PC, + anything visual, anything else audio except for phone calls). Even with those minimal use cases, I'd land at noon at JFK and by 8:00pm ET my iPhone 5 would be dead.

Another bummer - I had Ghost Armor'd the iPhone 6 plus screen already.

Lesson- always back up your phone, and there are always duds on mass production of this scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.