Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I'm trying to decide between the Note4, the upcoming Nexus 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. I listed very general reasons for me getting each device below, I'm just wondering if there is anything I'm missing that someone might suggest to help me sway one way or the other?

The last three phones I’ve had have been the Note3, Note2, and iPhone 4S. The main reason for me upgrading this year is that I am VERY unhappy with the Note3 camera, other than that, I do not have any real complaints with the Note 3. I am also paying full price for my phone in order to keep my unlimited data with Verizon. I am considering upgrading to the following 3 devices:

Note4 (already pre-ordered it) - I’m hoping the camera is significantly better, I’m not so sure how much noticeable the improved screen will be, and I’m reading that performance on it is not as great as it should be for an upgrade to the previous generation Note3? Can anyone help clarify this? I’m just not so sure how much of an upgrade this will feel like. If the camera is significantly improved, that alone will be worth it to me. With the Samsung trade in promo, it will also be the least expensive upgrade for me. I can count how many times I've used the S-Pen for both my Note2 and Note3 on one hand. I use FoxFi all the time for tethering.

Nexus 6 - I understand the official specs have not been released yet, though I would love a larger screen as long as it will fit in my pocket. With my unlimited data with Verizon, I can have a mini tablet with me all the time. I also like the idea of pure Android, however, I have read that Nexus devices have not had good cameras in the past?

iPhone 6 Plus - there are a lot of features I will miss by leaving Android, though I really like the iPhone camera and the upcoming features that will work between the iPhone and Mac OS. However, there is no way for me to use an iPhone with my unlimited data with Verizon for tethering without jailbreaking (not available for iOS 8 yet, and I’m not sure I want to do that anyways due to my concerns with installing some hack on the device). I am reading about developer programs that will allow me to install them on the iPhone in order to install and use tethering apps? Anyone know about these? If I had a way to use my unlimited data for tethering on an iPhone 6 Plus, I would likely lean that way.

Anyone have any info or thoughts on my choices?

Thanks.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Nexus 6 won't work on Verizon so you can scratch that off your list.

The 4 and 5 were not on Verizon and they also want to lock the phone down and fill it up with bloatware

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
There is some rumor that Verizon is getting the Nexus 6. Maybe Google is giving them a second chance (after they caused delays in Galaxy Nexus updates - the whole point of Nexus devices is to get stock Android updates as it's released).

The main thing that turns me off of the Nexus phones is the lack of SD card support. 32GB just isn't enough, and even 64GB would make me hesitate. I would even pay a premium for onboard 128GB like I did with the iPhone 6, but since that isn't an option I wish it would at least have a microSD slot. Hope the Nexus 6 changes that. The other thing is the camera, but I think a lot of that is software. Looks like Google is improving the stock camera software in Android L. A Nexus 6 with microSD, a competent camera, and made by Motorola sounds like it would be great.

Until we get the full details on the Nexus 6, seems like the Note 4 is the best choice here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.